Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kicked Out of a Motel for Charging at 12 Amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure whether they are an independent, corporate-owned, or a franchisee. If they are independent, they may not care, but corporate-owned or franchisee would probably be a different story. I think I will also write the Salida Chamber of Commerce. Salida is very dependent on tourism, so they might put some pressure on an independent.

I have nothing against the town of Salida, its just these two employees at that motel. I have written a review on Trip Advisor.

You are completely right that this motel (or any motel in Salida) could turn this into a business opportunity by installing a couple of NEMA 14-50 outlets and updating their web site with that fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the woman (who I assumed was the night desk clerk) did tell me that her name was Elizabeth (although she would not tell me her last name). I noticed that both she and the manager seemed to have Eastern European accents, so Elizabeth Kudasik is very likely who she was.

I wonder how I can find out whether they are the owners or not?

Its obvious what is going on here. At some point, the owner brought in an electrician and the electrician said the place was a deathtrap and needs some major work done on the wiring/breakers/panels. He didn't want to spend the money, so he's making sure no one pushes the electrical loads even a little bit. You might want to send in a tip to the city's code enforcement dept., you might end up saving someone's life from an electrical fire. Not only is your experience suspicious, but that other trip advisor or whatever story about breakers tripping is a real red flag.

Other people have had similar experiences at the occasional RV park - same kind of situation - owners know they have a dodgy electrical system and don't want to spend the money to upgrade it. Just stay away from places like that (obviously!).

Since Ziggy and Elizabeth Kudasik are apparently the owners of the independent Gateway Inn & Suites motel, I cannot contact any corporate office about this.

I have written polite e-mails to the Mayor of Salida, the Police Chief, the Fire Chief, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Salida Business Alliance, hoping that perhaps someone will give them a good talking to about their attitude and behavior towards tourists. Small towns that are extremely dependent on tourism can put a lot of pressure on an individual business in a situation like this. Again, Salida is a very nice little town that is fun to visit, as long as you know where to stay.

I have also written a review on Trip Advisor and Booking.com. I'll probably write a Yelp review, and then be done with it.

If they had been willing to calm down and listen to me, I am sure we could have resolved the situation.

Nah, clearly they're (or at least he's) a little psycho. I doubt he knows anything about EVs; I doubt even explaining "this takes no more power than/is like plugging in a ____" (insert name of common household appliance that he would not bat an eye at) wouldn't have worked.

And yeah, the only mistake you made was the first, whereas his reaction and numerous mistakes seem outrageous compared to your minor error. The encounters you had with him sound abusive to the point of a little scary. The police officer's reaction and comments about other people being kicked out in the middle of the night (!!!) support the "he's nuts" theory (IANAP...I am not a psychologies/psychiatrist ;-) ).

Anyway, I'm glad you escaped the hotel and the RV stuff worked out!

What a nightmare. Glad you stayed calm.
I recently took part in a ProAm bass fishing tournament. There were at least 50 bass boats in the hotel parking lot and each one had an extension cord running from the room to the on board chargers. I'm not aware that anyone asked to charge, or ever thought that permission wasn't implied and expected.

Wow. What a horrible experience. Glad the RV park took care of you so you could complete your trip.

I recently booked a stay at a hotel in Florida where I was attending a conference. The hotel didn't have a charging station, and there were no public charging stations for at least 50 miles. Before I booked my reservation, I spoke to the hotel manager and the building engineer and received an assurance that I would be able to plug into a 120V outlet in their parking garage for the full length of my stay. When I arrived, the building engineer showed me where to park in the garage, and even gave me orange cones to use to block the space, in case I left the hotel for dinner and wanted to get the same space back. First class operation. Had they not been cooperative before I booked my reservation, I probably would have stayed elsewhere.