Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I was thinking when looking at it. It has the bump to go over the exhaust, which of course you don't need, but unless they changed something else, like putting in a lower valence or something to redirect airflow, I would imagine it should fit.

Hitch and bike rack installed. Couldn't be happier. Very solid construction, and when folded away is very compact. Requires a special tool to remove from hitch, so OK to leave on vehicle when parking in public. Only downside is that since the arms directly press against the tires to hold the bike, you are out of luck if your bike has fenders.

Kia Soul EV incentives for June via Green Car Reports. Those waiting for a Model 3 can satisfy their EV lust for just $169 per month.

Kia is currently offering a lease on the tall electric wagon at $169 per month for 36 months, with $1,999 due at signing. The offer runs through July 5, and includes a mileage cap of 12,000 miles per year. The Soul EV is only available in 10 states, all of which were chosen by Kia based on perceived electric-car friendliness.

Those states are: California, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.

First time seeing one of these in the wild.

IMG_20160704_075945862_HDR.jpg

Still like the fact that the red top is only on the + model. This color scheme is available on the 2 higher trim levels.

Rt

Anybody else get a new smartphone app pushed? UVO Eco version 2.0.1 I believe.

Updated 8-19-16

Would really like to cool the car when unplugged. Still may not be available, haven't tried it yet. Mrs. Toe kidnapped the Hamster tonight.

RT

Last edited:
When logging into the UVO website to check on my car, it looks like there is a software update available. The page linked to gives instructions for how to update the cars software via the SD card that holds the map. I'll check this out later tonight and let everyone know what the story is. Looks like Apple Carplay and Android Auto are both supported now!

Reactions: techmaven
Yup, new car software is now up and running. Including Android Autoplay. Listened to a podcast on the way home. Apparently even Tesla doesn't offer Autoplay or Carplay. All you jealous Model X owners looking to trade for the Hmaster mobile, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT ! ! !

Bwah hah hah ! :)

RT

Yup, new car software is now up and running. Including Android Autoplay. Listened to a podcast on the way home. Apparently even Tesla doesn't offer Autoplay or Carplay. All you jealous Model X owners looking to trade for the Hmaster mobile, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT ! ! !

Bwah hah hah ! :)

RT
Good to see a little coverage of the software update for the Kia Soul EV's. I'm going to have to get off my a$$ and download that update... Wife and I purchased a Kia Soul EV+ 1 year ago as a tester to see if we wanted to go full hog and buy a Tesla MX. After just a few weeks of ownership the wife was so in love with the Soul as a town runabout that I think she's going to build a darn memorial to the thing when we have to turn it back in at the end of the lease. I'm genuinely concerned that once the Tesla MX arrives that we will STILL prefer to drive the Soul simply because of it's ability to surgically slice through tight southern California traffic, ease of parking due to short length and less "look at me" styling and functionality then the Model X. Heck the Soul even has heated and cooled seats, oddly nice leather interior, insanely quite (noticeably quieter then any of the three Tesla models I've driven...) and the ability to fast charge the thing are just some of our favorite things about this car. Ours is Caribbean Blue and thus we call it "Bluebacca" due to the Wookie like sound of the horn...

The car is truly a great machine, for all the reason that you mentioned. I'm probably going to purchase mine off the lease as long as the rated mileage holds up. I regularly see 100 miles on a full charge when I do one.

The phone app is lacking though. They did update it once, but whats really needed (at least for me) is the ability to turn on the climate control and seat coolers even when the car is not plugged in. Even when plugged in, the phone app tells me more often than not that the charging EVSE is demanding payment (even in my own garage with J1772). Crazy. Thats the problem when you develop a half a$$ed piece of code being used by less than 2,000 people. Car sitting in the sun all day gets pretty toasty. Must be a bit cooler down there where the surf meets the turf :)

RT

So my phone app no longer is able to access the car :(

I tried logging out then in again, and also rebooting the phone. Next step will be to uninstall the phone app and try again.

Message I'm getting on the phone is: Get Vehicle Status Failed, System cannot process your request.

Anybody else worked through this?

RT

So my phone app no longer is able to access the car :(

I tried logging out then in again, and also rebooting the phone. Next step will be to uninstall the phone app and try again.

Message I'm getting on the phone is: Get Vehicle Status Failed, System cannot process your request.

Anybody else worked through this?

RT
I too have received this error message and my EVO phone app also has struggled to communicate with the car as of late. Last night it worked perfectly however so that makes me think it may not be due to updated software since I have as yet not updated our vehicle.

Well, well, well, why should Tesla owners trying to figure out how the 8.0 USB media software works be the only ones who get to enjoy the process of figuring out how things work by having to reverse engineer the design by experimenting with the user interface?

It turns out that if you update the cars software from the SD card, that it forgets that you ever activated the UVO EV services. You know, like the day you drove the car home two years ago and never gave it a second thought. Just been using the phone interface to check things ever since then. A hint that that might be required seems like a good thing to tack onto the directions provided concerning how to load the software. But then again, what do I know ;)

Might be a good idea to turn that airbag deployment call to 911 on too while I'm at it. Especially since my Takata airbag hasn't been replaced yet....

<just kidding>

What kind of range are you guys seeing on 100% charges? I only saw 86 this morning, of course it was in the 50's last night. Maybe it's just the colder weather? Anybody up in Canada keep track of winter versus summer range?

I track almost everything in spreadsheets, somehow this slipped through the cracks. :confused:

RT