Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here I compare my unused key and the one I use all the time. I keep the fob in the same pocket as my other keys -- unconnected to the keychain (standalone). I just took the new one out of the plastic it came in for this shot. It has scratches on it!

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

Since there's literally no point in having contact access to this fob, I will be putting mine either on a necklace, or a custom arm brace. I do recommend the move towards keyless entry with a backup mechanical key hidden somewhere in case of a power failure. metal keys wear holes in pockets and scratch lots of things. Also, I hurt myself once when I fell with keys in my pocket.

How is the FOB holding up in the same pocket as your keys? Seems like it would get scratched quite a bit over time. I'm considering whether I want to put my keys in a different pocket so the FOB is on its own and more protected. (Ironically, I used to be an engineering intern at Motorola many years ago--and one of my responsibilities was a "pocket test"--an accelerated, simulated test on how the phone's finish would hold up while in a jeans pocket with keys!)

Currently, one front pocket is for my iPhone, one front pocket is for my keys, and my wallet's in a back pocket. Hmm. If I have to separate my keys from the FOB, and the keys can't go in the iPhone pocket...do I need more pockets?!?
You could put the fob in the little jeans pocket like Steve Jobs pulled the original iPod NANO out of. That's if you wear jeans of course...

I tried about 5 different items and like these OP/TECH USA Mini QD Loops - 1.5mm.

tesla key fob.jpg

You can get them at Amazon or other camera stores.

The nice features are:

1. Thicker nylon string than most similar products. Not too wide that it can be inserted.
2. Detachable
3. Shorter cord than most similar products.

Others I tried:
OP/TECH USA 1301322 System Connectors - Too wide to be inserted

COSMOS ® 2 ¼ inches Black 50 PCS Cellphone Strap with Silver Color Tone Ring - These are what Tesla are providing now except about and 1/4-1/2 inch longer. Too flimsy.

Como Silver Tone Coil Spring Link Clip Split Loop Ring Keyring Keychain - Too thick to go on and the angle isn't right.

Attachments

• tesla key fob.jpg
    tesla key fob.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 2,214
One way to protect the key fob from scratches and the like is to put a coat of gloss medium on it. Liquitex makes the best. It's an acrylic coating that dries to a smooth gloss finish. Not sure how durable it would be but it's worth a try.
I'd worry that the finish would crack when you pushed the buttons since the plastic flexes when you do that.

I wish they would do just a credit card FOB. No buttons really needed.
Huh? We use the buttons quite a bit to open the trunk and frunk. Those w/o the tech package will need the lock/unlock button.

I believe he is referring to a keycard that would be used in conjunction with the smartphone app which will be capable of opening the trunk, frunk and chargeport.

I'd like Tesla to develop something waterproof that contains a passive RFID chip, like the FOB contains and uses if it loses battery power, that I could use to open the door and start the car. The car can already do this with a dead FOB, so all they would need to do is make an RFID chip and put it inside some plastic.

For all you performance, black leather with red piping, carbon fiber people (hint hint Elon and others):

41V0M6jXQvL__SS400_.jpg

20121227_223105.jpg

I got it at Amazon and my key lives in it. With 4+ software, the key never needs to even come out and is safe from scratches/dings.

Plus anyone else using the op-tech mini loops: If you take separate the clip , and pass the 1/2 clip through the loop twice (second pass is tough), you can shorten the op-tech mini even further making it even shorter (shown in the picture below). It is very secure and sturdy.

CameraZOOM-20121227224249414.jpg

Last edited:
Walla2, that looks like a good solution for me (I've got black perf interior with red piping and CF accents). Does the string come with the holder? In the pictures on Amazon it doesn't show the string attaching the key to the holder. Amazon is out of stock on the op tech mini loops, so I'm looking for a solution until they're back in stock.