Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kevin Sharpe's decreased Roadster range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I can no longer reach the HPC and would instead be limited to 7kW public charging. I do not have the time to spend charging at 32A just so that I can reach the HPC.
Can you tell us how far your drive is and how much range you had left once you reached your destination when the car was newer and you were able to "easily" reach your destination?

As I said earlier, I'm having a hard time believing that a combination of driving slightly slower and a bit of public charging even at 32A would add a significant amount of time to an occasional trip. I'm also having a hard time believing that a Roadster HPWC does not exist anywhere along your close to 200 mile one-way trip that you could stop at to top up.

Either way - if the pack is really faulty, as others have suggested, driving it as much as possible should speed it's demise. At the current point in time, It does not appear to be that the capacity loss you're seeing is abnormal. But another 10,000 miles could easily show if the pack is fault - and enough to show a non-gradual loss in capacity which should qualify as a warranty issue.

Maybe ask him to plot it for you. That way he doesn't have to release the data, but rather just the anonymized graphs.
Tom Saxton has confirmed that "the [PiA] survey doesn't collect log files, which is what would be needed to create more graphs like that".

Therefore, I'm going to need log files from more Roadsters. Who on TMC is prepared to share their logs to prove this point? Feel free to PM if you wish to keep your participation anonymous.

You always have the option of selling your car too.
You know that your msg. is not for this thread, but how much do you ask for your roadster? You can send me a PM.
Make me a public offer... no need to keep this private.

For the record, Tesla offered me 35,000 GBP (57,000 USD) for a trade in against a fully loaded P85+ which has an OTR price 99,730 GBP (162,550 USD).

- - - Updated - - -

In the end, I don't think they were starting from "0" when Elon said they'd do it this year.
That's hardly the point... Elon should not announce products off the cuff, indeed we do have laws regarding availability after an announcement such as this.

- - - Updated - - -

Great plan. Publicize the lack of warranty and rapidly deteriorating battery pack (quote 'range falling off a cliff'), to be able to sell his car at a profit? Seriously?
Yeh, it's part of my evil master plan to make a huge profit out of my Roadster :cool:

Last edited:
Tom Saxton has confirmed that "the [PiA] survey doesn't collect log files, which is what would be needed to create more graphs like that".

Therefore, I'm going to need log files from more Roadsters. Who on TMC is prepared to share their logs to prove this point? Feel free to PM if you wish to keep your participation anonymous.
If people would like to contribute log files for study, I'm happy to collect them as an impartial third party and will protect everyone's privacy. To keep my inbox from exploding, please upload your log files to your favorite file sharing service (DropBox, FileConvoy, etc.) and send the link to tom at pluginamerica dot org. Please don't give my email address to the file sharing service, just manually send me the link.

- - - Updated - - -

Kevin,
I'm pretty sure that by pulling the logs from your Roadster you can find out how many times you have charged in standard or range mode. Please correct me if I am wrong on this anyone?
As far as I know, the log files do not show the number of range mode charges. You can figure it out from the detailed, transient portion of the log but that only covers recent history, generally the last 60 hours of driving. To get a lifetime number, you have to collect a full series of log files, more often than every 60 hours of driving. I don't know of any owners who have done that. I'm missing the first nine months on our Roadster.

ok, I'll ask Tom Saxton what data is available in the public domain. If we can't get the PiA data then maybe everyone here would provide their logs for analysis.
The Plug In America survey data is publicly available, a resource to the Roadster community, but it doesn't include the level of detail needed to plot Ah history graphs. Roadster Survey Results. Scroll to the bottom of the page to get download links.

Umm, this data is needed to prove your point. And had you integrity, you would not have started your smear campaign until you actually had this proof.

Kevin actually collected log files for folks who were close (geography) to him to compare against. I may not agree with everything he's doing, but agree that Tesla should step up and provide some sort of degradation warranty to the cars that they sell to us. At 30% loss on an 85 kWh Model S, that's still 210 Ideal Miles (approx 180 rated?).

Plenty to go SC to SC in some places...

Thought it might be interesting to gather some pertinent data for both platforms:

Roadster Range Charge Poll

Model S Range Charge Poll
The Model S and Roadster surveys ask owners how often they do Range/Trip mode charges. It's more difficult to answer the lifetime count question and that runs into complications like second owners and replaced battery packs. The full survey data is available to anyone who would like to look at it to see what typical usage is.

Make me a public offer... no need to keep this private.

For the record, Tesla offered me 35,000 GBP (57,000 USD) for a trade in against a fully loaded P85+ which has an OTR price 99,730 GBP (162,550 USD).

I think the PM idea was to point out this is not the thread for putting your Roadster on offer or asking what a good figure would be. Please either use PM or start a separate thread for that.

That's hardly the point... Elon should not announce products off the cuff, indeed we do have laws regarding availability after an announcement such as this.

Actually, I had the temerity to suggest the *possibility* it was not as off the cuff as many people may think, however improbable that may be. I just don't think anyone has proof either way.

Regardless, it should hardly have been a surprise to Elon to get a question on that even if questions on Model S sales, Model X dev, Model 3 design, Gigafactory site selection, and supercharger expansion are all of far greater importance to shareholders. It's not his first rodeo.

Regarding the law, last time I checked the U.K. also has a safe harbor for forward looking statements given in the context of investor communications. This is customarily part of a disclaimer given at the beginning and/or end of a presentation.

The Model S and Roadster surveys ask owners how often they do Range/Trip mode charges. It's more difficult to answer the lifetime count question and that runs into complications like second owners and replaced battery packs. The full survey data is available to anyone who would like to look at it to see what typical usage is.

The PiA survey is indeed useful, and in my poll I also ask folks to consider participating there.

However, Kevin's experience highlighted one metric I wanted to try and capture with my poll: TOTAL number of range charges.

Folks don't always have a consistent routine throughout the life of their car, and the survey asks for how often a person performs a range charge. It became apparent that as circumstances change, that answer can vary... and you may not have a meaningful answer over time.

By getting a snapshot of # of charges vs. mileage/age, we can get an idea of where the ranges land.

Mods, I think you misspelled/Mis-titled this thread.

It is not "Kevin Shape's Decreased Mileage Roadster Range"... I believe you intended to Title this "Kevin Sharpe's Roadster Rage".

While I appreciate Kevin's stress over his issues, I hope he might ratchet back just a tad from cross-posting his anger and angst into other threads. He may have a legitimate beef, but that should not leak into other areas of this BB.

My humble opinion, and I mean no ill will.