Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep lights and car on while opening passenger door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a weird question for a Tesla forum but didn’t find anything on Google.

If you want to be a gentleman and when you pick up a female you want to get out and open the door from the outside. Is there anyway to keep the car running but with head lights, screen and heat on for the time it takes to walk back to drivers door?

Climate keeper and keep headlights on during exit setting? Some other solution? I don’t have a passenger to test it with.

TIA

In general, the passenger just need to tap on the display screen when the driver exit the car.
If not working, the passenger could press the brake pedal with one hand, but this is a little cumbersome.
Otherwise, I wonder also if the passenger could press the button located at the top of the right gear stick?

Probably a weird question for a Tesla forum but didn’t find anything on Google.

If you want to be a gentleman and when you pick up a female you want to get out and open the door from the outside. Is there anyway to keep the car running but with head lights, screen and heat on for the time it takes to walk back to drivers door?

Climate keeper and keep headlights on during exit setting? Some other solution? I don’t have a passenger to test it with.

TIA

This is actually a good question. I still open physical doors for my wife to buildings (obviously when they are doors I can open, like when we are together and come home, restaurants, stores, or building that doesnt have automatic doors). I dont usually go around and open car doors for her though, I got out of that habit after about 7-8 years of marriage ( this is year 37).

I think the quickest, and easiest way to do this would be to open the app and select CLIMATE -- Camp mode. I think that would do what you want, and would be something you could do when (for example) you were out at dinner and getting up to go to the car, or leaving any other location with your significant other whom you want to pamper.

Perhaps there is another way but this should work.

This is actually a good question. I still open physical doors for my wife to buildings (obviously when they are doors I can open, like when we are together and come home, restaurants, stores, or building that doesnt have automatic doors). I dont usually go around and open car doors for her though, I got out of that habit after about 7-8 years of marriage ( this is year 37).

I think the quickest, and easiest way to do this would be to open the app and select CLIMATE -- Camp mode. I think that would do what you want, and would be something you could do when (for example) you were out at dinner and getting up to go to the car, or leaving any other location with your significant other whom you want to pamper.

Perhaps there is another way but this should work.

Thank you so much for the tip. I’ll barely latch and not completely close the drivers side door AND enable climate keeper. I’d try camp mode but the headlights go off with camp mode, no? It’ll be nighttime so I want those Matrix headlights to stay on.

But when the drivers side door is ajar IIRC doesn’t it make warning sounds?

It’s a first date so I appreciate the responses from everyone :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the tip. I’ll barely latch and not completely close the drivers side door AND enable climate keeper. I’d try camp mode but the headlights go off with camp mode, no? It’ll be nighttime so I want those Matrix headlights to stay on.

But when the drivers side door is ajar IIRC doesn’t it make warning sounds?

It’s a first date so I appreciate the responses from everyone :)
You wouldnt want to barely latch your car door unless you were in the situation of "pulling up to pick up the date" and they were waiting outside for you or something. As in, you wouldnt want to get out of proximity of the vehicle because it wouldnt be locked and it would warn you etc.

Barely latching it would work if you drove up and hopped out the drivers door to quickly walk around, but wouldnt work in any circumstance where you left the car to go somewhere.