Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Karstyle Facelift Price Reduced to $2,500 on Website. Deposit reduced to $500.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price on the Karstyle Facelift (Facelift) was reduced to $2,500 from $3,500 on their website sometime today. The price seems pretty reasonable considering it includes painting it to match. They recommend having a body shop install it, although it should be a relatively easy Saturday morning job for those who are handy with tools. The reservation amount was also reduced from $1,500 to $500. It was enough to temp me into taking the plunge, so I'll let everyone know how it comes out if I actually receive in in August.

Very tempting indeed. My used MS should be here in about 10 days.

This could make for a great weekend project.

I wonder if this has any bearing on the coefficient of drag on the car, since I believe that was rumored to improve on the updated version. Perhaps that was just on the Model 3.

Tesla's OEM facelift reduce the drag a bit. This one appears to be almost the same.

I'm sure you're right. I was just concerned that the black area surrounding the front Tesla badging appears to be recessed; it seems like it would create a "scoop" that traps air and creates drag. I have not seen a refreshed Model S firsthand, but of the photos I've seen of the factory Tesla facelifted bumper, it appears this same black area is flush with the rest of the bumper, making it more aerodynamic. All of this is based solely on my observation of the pictures, and I acknowledge I could be completely wrong about it.

I'm sure you're right. I was just concerned that the black area surrounding the front Tesla badging appears to be recessed; it seems like it would create a "scoop" that traps air and creates drag. I have not seen a refreshed Model S firsthand, but of the photos I've seen of the factory Tesla facelifted bumper, it appears this same black area is flush with the rest of the bumper, making it more aerodynamic. All of this is based solely on my observation of the pictures, and I acknowledge I could be completely wrong about it.

The Tesla face lifted bumper has the same open area surrounding the T, so that's not a factor.

sometimes drag is counter intuitive - like a pickup being better aerodynamically with the tailgate up because it helps create an air pocket behind the cab. I would bet the scoop with no rear holes has no more drag than a blank panel.

I
sometimes drag is counter intuitive - like a pickup being better aerodynamically with the tailgate up because it helps create an air pocket behind the cab. I would bet the scoop with no rear holes has no more drag than a blank panel.

It's the Coriolis effect. That certainly could be the case that it is more aerodynamic because of it, but it's hard to imagine it having less drag than if it were smooth all the way across like the Model 3 front bumper. I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference either way, so I'm going to just enjoy mine when it comes in and stop worrying about it :)

I'm strongly considering getting this facelift for my Signature Model S. I wrote to the company with three questions:

1. Is the modification reversible? (e.g. if I sell the car and the buyer prefers the original look, or if the new face gets scraped up in a fender bender)
2. The earliest S'es had a slightly different nosecone than later ones; does this affect the compatibility of the new facelift?
3. Can they do it in Signature Red? :D

Also (just occurred to me), how does this modification affect access to the tow hook, which I believe is under the original nosecone? (Or the 12v jumpstart connections, though that's less critical.) I'll post if/when I hear back the answers!

I wonder if this type of modification will have any impact on the warranty. And I also wonder how one would access the remote 12vt battery posts that are located behind the nose cone.
I would consider this upgrade regardless the effect it may have on resale value.

It may have less drag. Any opening in the bodywork creates drag as the air flows through it, and also when it passes through the draggy interior of the "engine compartment" and heat exchangers on ICE cars. Having the air not flow through should be lower drag, even if the shape of the empty open area around the badge looks very draggy, like an empty cup pointing forward.

The empty cup will do a better job of stalling the air and may be more effective at splitting the airflow above and below that point. It seems counterintuitive to have a shape like that, but it may actually perform better in the overall context of airflow over the entire car.

Very likely the purpose of the new nose (on restyled S, but especially X and 3) which has a sharp upper edge and is tilted downward is to direct more of the airflow down away from the hood (bonnet) and around the sides of the car. This will reduce lift and possibly drag if it reduces airflow over the top of the car, since the upper surface of the car is shaped almost exactly like a wing, especially the greenhouse.

This may be especially important on Model 3 and probably why it has an even more upturned and tilted down nose, since it has a disproportionately large greenhouse. It's basically a huge wing. Less air over that huge wing should mean both less lift and less drag (since lift generates drag also).