Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

K-MTG (Captain Sunshade) - Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's really interesting about your spoiler. While I haven't taken delivery of my 90D yet, it is on the lot. I took this pic yesterday... spoiler is in up position, but doesn't look welded like yours. I assume it's still fixed, but maybe they used a different mechanism on mine (VIN 35xx)
From the angle you took that photo, it appears that the "well" has disappeared...Now a non-issue for clean-up...

Captain @K-MTG, we should meet up somewhere near 99 ranch market or something. We should compare to see any quality improvements from the progress.

My X is no where near flawless, gaps everywhere, nothing really line up. Wind noise occasionally, all I need to do is open and close the door again to get Rid of the noise. But so far car is good, doors not broken yet. So I just ignore all the problems and keep on driving. Compromises must be made though.

If I still have my 161K in my wallet, I will still buy a model X but only after 1 years of it been in production. Never will want to be an early adaptors for an item this expensive and these many problems. I have learned my lesson.

My thought exactly. Although this would be the same during driving even for active spoilers, I can imagine pollen and other things gathering in there much more so for us fixed folks. I am fine with fixed and expected no less, however, what I don't like is that the Design Studio clearly has shown and continues to show a painted filler panel under our fixed spoilers. Where it that design detail now? Not impressed with this last minute afterthought design changing. I hope, without a finish panel, a future buyer will not assume the spoiler is broken. I guess we take the occasional bad with all the good with this company.
You can't compare the computer generated images in the design studio to actual vehicles. The design studio has ALWAYS shown the P90D's with the spoiler down and the 90D's with a clearly CG one above the same image.

That's really interesting about your spoiler. While I haven't taken delivery of my 90D yet, it is on the lot. I took this pic yesterday... spoiler is in up position, but doesn't look welded like yours. I assume it's still fixed, but maybe they used a different mechanism on mine (VIN 35xx)
Nope. You've got an active spoiler. It's been posted elsewhere that all the spoilers remain up when in "Factory" or delivery mode on the software. Go back and look at the "Random Spottings" thread for all the pictures of X's on the auto carrier trucks. All the spoilers are up.

Great pictures! Now we need a good close up one of the fixed spoiler like your last one!

Doesn't it look like it goes up and down (and nothing in between)? Why have that padded spot then? Is that what that rubber-looking round thing is under the spoiler??

I'm a bit confused as to what it's supposed to be. I thought the "fixed" would be up while driving, down when parked--and the "active" spoilers actually moved WHILE driving. Guess that would be too complicated, LOL. Maybe they should have put the third brake light in the glass so it doesn't move around and change position.
Why would "fixed" be able to move and close when the car is off?

Active spoilers DO move while driving. At about 45mph they lower slightly (from max visibility mode) into a more aerodynamic position. They may actually be programmable too so they'll actually move into more positions in future software updates.

• Informative
Reactions: systemcrashed
Why allow this car to get so dirty from factory to customer? Put this on the list of how to do things right. I see most new cars wrapped on car carriers.

Thanks. Those are the first clear ones I've seen of a true fixed spoiler. It actually looks pretty well designed - that back window appears to be cut around the base, if I'm seeing things properly.

Mine does. Mine clicks a lot for any number of reasons. It also "relaxes" the falcon wing doors sometimes at unlock, though since the latest firmware update that seems to have gone away. If I walk to my garage with both the S and X fobs, the X makes all kinds of clicking and snapping noises, while the S just kind of blinks like, "there she goes again."
Your X is happy to see you! :cool:

Why allow this car to get so dirty from factory to customer? Put this on the list of how to do things right. I see most new cars wrapped on car carriers.
Saw an open car carrier here in Germany full of BMWs all wrapped in white material. Tesla really needs to consider doing this to protect them. Some of the problems people have reported may have been caused in transit.

The BMWs I saw were completely covered with white material with straps or rope around them even covering the tires. I could just barely make out the BMW emblem on the rear of the back car under the white covering. I looked close because I was hoping they were Teslas since there is a Tesla showroom in Dusseldorf where I landed. But alas they were not. That is just one anecdotal information point, but they truly were completely individually covered. I have also seen car carriers where the entire trailer had canvas walls and roof covering which would probably be even better because if any sand or grit got under the single car wrap it could do damage to the finish.

Doesn't it look like it goes up and down (and nothing in between)? Why have that padded spot then? Is that what that rubber-looking round thing is under the spoiler??

I'm a bit confused as to what it's supposed to be. I thought the "fixed" would be up while driving, down when parked--and the "active" spoilers actually moved WHILE driving. Guess that would be too complicated, LOL. Maybe they should have put the third brake light in the glass so it doesn't move around and change position.

I thought the same thing, I don't really care if it's moving while driving, but it should be able to up and down at least. I'm very disappointed that they actually fixed the spoiler, and very surprised to see Tesla created a fixed spoiler,I thought every model gets the same spoiler, it's just controlled by the software, wouldn't that be so much easier?

Reactions: Diavel
I thought the same thing, I don't really care if it's moving while driving, but it should be able to up and down at least. I'm very disappointed that they actually fixed the spoiler, and very surprised to see Tesla created a fixed spoiler,I thought every model gets the same spoiler, it's just controlled by the software, wouldn't that be so much easier?

Tesla did state that a fixed spoiler was coming. It was speculated that the parts were just not in. It makes sense to also separate the performance variants and I'm sure a fixed spoiler is also much cheaper to build.

I'm just as disappointed as you and even though my X will be much less than most, it's still around 100k and I would have really liked that spoiler.

If purple are paying $160,000 for their p90dl, then they deserve some form of exclusivity.

Gice them the fixed spoiler ;)

If this is able to be retrofitted, I'll be lining up.tl get it done.

• Funny
Reactions: Softwizard
Tesla did state that a fixed spoiler was coming. It was speculated that the parts were just not in. It makes sense to also separate the performance variants and I'm sure a fixed spoiler is also much cheaper to build.

I'm just as disappointed as you and even though my X will be much less than most, it's still around 100k and I would have really liked that spoiler.

If purple are paying $160,000 for their p90dl, then they deserve some form of exclusivity.

Gice them the fixed spoiler ;)

If this is able to be retrofitted, I'll be lining up.tl get it done.
+1. I was hoping to get in on the active spoiler too. Not a deal breaker though.

Oh and, LOL on the "purple paying...". :p;)

• Funny
Reactions: Diavel
The photos will come tomorrow, got the car back a few hours ago so I will have to wait until morning.

So the tint guy did a very great job, the 10% tint all over blocked pretty much all of the light.

However, the calibration on the front passenger door went bad and the window would roll down whenever I closed the door so I followed the reset instructions @ohmman posted and it seems okay.

I will have the SC double check when I have them look at the misalignment of the passenger FWD. Other than that everything seems to be perfect, one more thing... I have a rattling sound coming from the trunk area when I drive on the freeway. Trying to pinpoint what is causing it, any tips?

The photos will come tomorrow, got the car back a few hours ago so I will have to wait until morning.

So the tint guy did a very great job, the 10% tint all over blocked pretty much all of the light.

However, the calibration on the front passenger door went bad and the window would roll down whenever I closed the door so I followed the reset instructions @ohmman posted and it seems okay.

I will have the SC double check when I have them look at the misalignment of the passenger FWD. Other than that everything seems to be perfect, one more thing... I have a rattling sound coming from the trunk area when I drive on the freeway. Trying to pinpoint what is causing it, any tips?

Keep us updated buddy! Sunshade Captain of America!

Reactions: SSD420
I got it, unfortunately I didn't get the sunshade but I got the X 90D (the next best thing). The sunshade is on the due bill along with the accessory hitch, though I have the tow hitch in a lunchbox placed in the frunk.

Before I talk about the X, I gotta talk about the sunshade. I need it, the tint is NOT sufficient. The delivery guy said it will be a roller shade and hopefully it will be available next month. I have a 10% ceramic tint install scheduled for tomorrow, will let you know how that goes. I also ordered the heat shield for the top of the panoramic windshield and skylights on the FWD. I still need to find a place that will make the custom sunshades as @ohmman suggested. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

So I got the X 90, VIN 57xx. It should have came last moth but it was delayed. The spoiler unfortunately is not active, the car was manufactured on May 16. Overall build quality seems good, I noticed the seals a little messed up on the passenger FWD but I will just ignore it, doesn't seem to be a big deal. Wind noise is identical to my Acura, it is alright with me.

The doors seemed to behave, luckily it opens in my garage. I will be posting a bunch of videos, hopefully one this weekend and will let you guys know how it goes. The handling and drive quality is much better than my Acura.

Does anyone know how to summon while you are in the car? I would like my car to park itself in the garage while I am in it.

Will be updating this thread with additional experiences, photos and videos.

What else...
It came with 17 miles
Double vision - didn't drive it at night yet
Need the SUNSHADE ASAP!!!!
Sorry I'm late to the party. Congratulations on getting your baby. I wish you good luck and all that stuff.

My 90D is still projected for late June - July delivery. I look forward to seeing all your videos.

Cheers