Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just made a second reservation for a Model 3!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if people found my original post to be flippant. The OP had a short post and so did I, plus replying from a smartphone never really gets the point across. Congratulations to the OP on the reservation, that goes without saying. But, it will be a rough road to ditch ICE entirely.

All I can speak for is my own experiences in SoCal and the Bay Area. I've always had to wait for a stall, and when I get there, I always charge slowly.

Perhaps everyone else is more patient etc. but my time is too valuable for the Tesla road trip experience. I'd probably feel differently if I were a retiree.

@ohmman I can tell you're an intelligent guy, but your dataset is as anecdotal as mine. We'll agree to disagree on this one. Perhaps the Tesla gods shine down more strongly on you and I am being punished for my contrarian (but IMO accurate) view on Tesla. There always has to be balance in the force. I refrain from posting good things not because they don't exist, but because I think there is already too much of that already. The overly positive view on Tesla is what led me to erroneously purchase the car, and I want everyone out there to get both sides (good and bad) before falling into the same trap as me.

That being said I think the M3 will be a hit.
Well, there's actually a way to settle this. Somebody with more time and determination than I have can take pictures of the usage maps in the car at various times to see how frequently all stalls are in use.

What I can say is that I just completed my first long road trip in my Model S 90D from Southern California to Seattle and back. I never encountered a full Supercharger, although there was one time all stalls were in use as I charged but nobody was waiting.

I will say that Tesla needs to address reliability of chargers. I found times when I had to try several chargers to get decent charging speeds. One time the speed was down to 7kw when my SOC was around 20%. Moved to another stall and boom, 100kw. Some variation of this experience was common on my trip...and frustrating. That said, overall, the road trip experience was quite pleasant and I would definitely do it again...and again.

I disagree that 300kw charging is necessary. 100kw was more than adequate for the amount of stopping needed anyway for food and bathroom breaks. 300kw might actually be annoying. Most of my charging stops were only for 15-20 minutes. If they were only 5-7 minutes, imagine stopping to charge, going in to get a coffee...and you have to go back and move your car before your coffee is ready. That sounds like a headache to me! ;)

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I disagree that 300kw charging is necessary. 100kw was more than adequate for the amount of stopping needed anyway for food and bathroom breaks. 300kw might actually be annoying. Most of my charging stops were only for 15-20 minutes. If they were only 5-7 minutes, imagine stopping to charge, going in to get a coffee...and you have to go back and move your car before your coffee is ready. That sounds like a headache to me! ;)

Charging too fast might be annoying? You do realize how ridiculous that sounds, right? Not all of us have weak bladders or have a desire to waste time pulled over and pay $5 for shitty coffee (Starbucks).

In an ICE, my rule is no stops until fuel is needed.Then it's fuel and continue until desitination, unless over 8 hour total trip time in which case I stay the night. Bathroom stops only in dire emergencies, and certainly no food or drink stops (that just makes a bathroom break more likely).

Last edited:
Charging too fast might be annoying? You do realize how ridiculous that sounds, right? Not all of us have weak bladders or have a desire to waste time pulled over and pay $5 for shitty coffee (Starbucks).

In an ICE, my rule is no stops until fuel is needed.Then it's fuel and continue until desitination, unless over 8 hour total trip time in which case I stay the night. Bathroom stops only in dire emergencies, and certainly no food or drink stops (that just makes a bathroom break more likely).
I agree. Faster is definitely better. There is little downside even for those of us who enjoy slowing down a bit. Hang out for 5-7 minutes, then drive somewhere you actually want to eat. This should be what we are striving for. Charge times that are short enough where owners don't ever leave their cars.

• Love
Reactions: oktane

Perhaps this will help Winking Face Emoji