Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jebinc’s Plaid Vibration Experiment Results!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prototype..? I’ll believe there’s a new half shaft design when I see it. Part numbers, please, when available!
I know, right? I hope not just trying to run out the clock on the Lemon law. Though, I just checked and it's 2 years or 24,000 miles in NC.

He asked about how I was feeling about the Lemon law process. I said I would prefer my car to be fixed, but if we can't fix it, I would try another new one. I wasn't interested in just getting my money back and moving to another car manufacturer.

I figure doing a buyback and getting a new Plaid would be a sufficiently large pain in the ass that I'm willing to try to get mine fixed. Mostly because I assume I'll lose my 1.24% loan, and I'll have to get them to fix all the new car defects all over again... But hey, I'd get the new better headlights and taillights, steam, round wheel, and tilting screen! 😅

Reactions: jebinc
I just picked my car up from service for the console and suspension creaking. I mentioned the half shaft vibrations and here's the invoice reply:

"Test drove vehicle to duplicate issue. Under all test conditions, some small amount of axle chatter was heard, though during testing and hard checks while in repair, no hardware failing was found. At this time, after having replaced the axles twice for this concern, no further replacement of axle half-shafts will be performed so long as the driving characteristics match what was found while in service. It can be expected that in certain conditions, in the chassis of the Plaid Model S with 1000+ HP can have some noise emanating from the axles without warranting continuous replacement."

Seems like a ridiculous response, since my 700 HP 2016 model S didn't have this vibration, but suddenly going to 1000 HP would add a new vibration under light load? But, whatever. I'll go back to lowering the car and move on.
Yep, trash of a reply; but not at all unexpected.

My service advisor called yesterday to follow up on the vibration. He said there's a new half shaft prototype design. He's going to order them for my car and schedule a service when they come in. Fingers crossed!
Come on, it's not the half shafts. How would you explain away that they magically "fix" themselves when in Track Mode, full rear bias? The front DU is still very much active.

Come on, it's not the half shafts. How would you explain away that they magically "fix" themselves when in Track Mode, full rear bias? The front DU is still very much active.
I think the vibration goes away in Track Mode with full rear bias because:

1. When not in Track Mode, the vibration happens under light acceleration, not hard acceleration

2. When in Track Mode with full rear bias, light acceleration does not activate the front DU - this can be confirmed by CAN bus readings on front DU power (tesLAX shows 0W for me in those conditions)

Reactions: kskog
I think the vibration goes away in Track Mode with full rear bias because:

1. When not in Track Mode, the vibration happens under light acceleration, not hard acceleration

2. When in Track Mode with full rear bias, light acceleration does not activate the front DU - this can be confirmed by CAN bus readings on front DU power (tesLAX shows 0W for me in those conditions)
FYI that’s not true about 1.). It absolutely does vibrate under harder acceleration. It’s just that you get through the really trouble mph much more quickly. It’s easiest to feel the vibration under the lightest of light acceleration.

Reactions: jebinc
FYI that’s not true about 1.). It absolutely does vibrate under harder acceleration. It’s just that you get through the really trouble mph much more quickly. It’s easiest to feel the vibration under the lightest of light acceleration.
Oh interesting, I haven’t felt it under hard accel. Have you tried to accelerate hard with Track Mode/full rear bias on to see if you still feel it?

Oh interesting, I haven’t felt it under hard accel. Have you tried to accelerate hard with Track Mode/full rear bias on to see if you still feel it?
Yes, and I do not. You feel the general resonance through the drivetrain much more not in track mode. Now I haven’t completely gunned it since I’m very nervous to not end up in a tree, but even heavier acceleration you can definitely feel the difference.

The hard acceleration shudder is the electronics getting on the edge of the wheel spin and then correcting each wheel individually. I do have a 2017 performance with 21“ for now 120k KM drive like a bat and still have the first drivetrains. Even the slightest uphill or cold start provoked this behavior. Plus the anti slip kicking in stakkato like evoking a worn halfshaft. A machine gun.

A rougher tarmac, summer, and a warm axle means complete silence.

IMHO 80% of the „worn halfshafts“ we witness here is a nothinburger. Plus tesla has a grease problem. Especially on the left side where the hot air from charging gets trapped and further liquifies the grease.

So everyone gave up? Do you think having the halfshafts replaced then immediately lowering the car is a good solution?

I haven’t bothered to take mine in for service, it seems like a waste of time until you resolve the issue causing premature halfshaft wear.

I don’t think so, either. Why? Because you can 100% turn the vibration in track mode (rear bias on full).

My vibration is about 80% improved in track mode. Have we made Tesla aware of the fact Track Mode improves vibrational issues?

It’s kinda silly to have this problem plague 1000s of Teslas for years and have it be improved dramatically in a mode that is limited for track use. 😒 Tesla should be working on an update to make whatever is helping to reduce the vibration apart of normal drive modes.

This thread should be brought to Tesla’s attention. ⚠️