Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 EVSE or direct UMC connect to 240v outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then why would Tesla allow you to use their Superchargers that are 12X the charging power of a single onboard charger (120kW vs 10kW?)

That's a great question, and one you should ask Tesla. It's probably related to what they refer to as the "supercharging penalty". I was so disappointed in what the local Tesla shop told me that I called CA and asked if it was true. Unfortunately CA verified the same.

Although I want to point out that Tesla was very clear to tell me that if I need the charge speed or the range, to go ahead and use the 80A and/or trip charge. They said that they do not want the fact that the car is electric to become a limitation to my needs, but explained that if I didn't need it, don't use it and therefor be "nicer" on my battery.

Although if you have #8 wire in conduit, you may legally replace the 40A circuit breaker with a 50A circuit breaker, and use 40A charging current. You may not do this if NM-B (Romex) cable was used.

- - - Updated - - -

For what it's worth, my HPWC always charges at 80A on a daily basis, and range charges still hit 264/265 miles after nearly 50,000 miles (although 32k on this battery, due to the early contactor failure).

That's awesome news to me!! So you charge at the full 80A each night? Up to what percent of charge? You are getting 265mi now, what did you get when your battery was new?

That's a great question, and one you should ask Tesla. It's probably related to what they refer to as the "supercharging penalty". I was so disappointed in what the local Tesla shop told me that I called CA and asked if it was true. Unfortunately CA verified the same.

Although I want to point out that Tesla was very clear to tell me that if I need the charge speed or the range, to go ahead and use the 80A and/or trip charge. They said that they do not want the fact that the car is electric to become a limitation to my needs, but explained that if I didn't need it, don't use it and therefor be "nicer" on my battery.

This is the first time - that I can recall - that Tesla has suggested to a forum member that charging at higher rates, including and particularly Supercharging, is less desirable, although many suspected it all along but gave some benefit of doubt to Tesla given their battery management system. Tesla has consistently encouraged folks to Supercharge away to glory in the past.

Not that I'm placing the burden of proof on you, but, for record's sake, would you be able to attach an image/doc of this in writing - an email perhaps - from Tesla (with any personal info redacted, of course)? Thanks!

That's awesome news to me!! So you charge at the full 80A each night? Up to what percent of charge? You are getting 265mi now, what did you get when your battery was new?

This is a refurbished battery pack, installed at 19,500 miles. When installed, the car would charge to 268-269 on range.

This is the first time - that I can recall - that Tesla has suggested to a forum member that charging at higher rates, including and particularly Supercharging, is less desirable, although many suspected it all along but gave some benefit of doubt to Tesla given their battery management system. Tesla has consistently encouraged folks to Supercharge away to glory in the past.

Not that I'm placing the burden of proof on you, but, for record's sake, would you be able to attach an image/doc of this in writing - an email perhaps - from Tesla (with any personal info redacted, of course)? Thanks!

It's likely a matter of absolute vs. relative.

Bottom line is that at normal ambient temperatures, slower charging is always better for lithium-ion chemistry. The question is to whether it represents a material decline in the capacity. Tesla has explicitly said their data show the current supercharging rates do not have a material, measurable impact on range, at least when viewed in a certain lens. Is supercharging worse than slower charging? Yes, in absolute terms. What's the effect on the range as a percentage? To this point it's been minimal.