Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd charging behavior, '23 Y causes error while '15 S does not

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 grizzl-e chargers in my garage, 1 hooked up to a 30A circuit (configured for 24A charging) and the other to a 50A circuit for 40A charging (both 240V). Both work without issue on my '15 85D, never had an issue in 2 years of use.

We got a '23 Y a month ago, and whenever it's connected to the 24A charger there's about a 1 in 3 chance that the charger will stop at some point in the charge with a "stuck relay" error code (3 beeps). Sometimes it happens early in the charge, other times the car will charge to the set point and then the charger errors. This only happens with the 24A charger, never once on the 40A one. We also use many public level 2 chargers with the Y, never an issue there. The only car/charger combo that causes the error is the Y on the 24A charger.

The S has been charged with both chargers countless times, never once had any errors.

Anyone have ideas what could be going on and/or how to fix? I haven't yet contacted grizzl-e. It's still under warranty but it doesn't strike me as a defective charger since it works fine with the S.

Contacted Grizzl-e support (United chargers), no reply. We just picked up our model 3 yesterday and it does the exact same thing as the Y. I'll keep trying with grizzl-e support.

This is a weird one. Please let us know what you find out. I have recommended the grizzl-e chargers to a few different people that have j1772 vehicles and tesla's so i hope this is not indicative of some deeper rooted problem.

Reactions: dmwahl
Will do. Unfortunately the support people are pretty slow to reply but I'll share the eventual resolution here, whether they fix it somehow or I get a different charger. I plan to swap spots and current settings with the grizzl-e that is working just to see if that's possibly part of the issue, but given my S charged just fine for years I'm not optimistic.

It is my understanding that there is a "handshake" of software between the Tesla and the charger. I never experienced a problem when using the Gen 3 Wall charger in my garage or the Tesla Superchargers while traveling. I have encountered problems using chargers made by others including FPL Evolution Chargers in Florida and EV go and Chargepoint. Presently there is no universal standard for chargers made by different companies. The gas pump nozzle is standard no matter which brand of gasoline an ICE vehicle uses. The charge cable, the connector, and the vehicle has no such standard.
Stick with Tesla to avoid the hassle.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Presently there is no universal standard for chargers made by different companies. The gas pump nozzle is standard no matter which brand of gasoline an ICE vehicle uses. The charge cable, the connector, and the vehicle has no such standard.
Stick with Tesla to avoid the hassle.
What in the nonsense is this? Of course there is a standard. J772 and CCS are documented published standards held and maintained by the CharIN group. They are the standard. Just because some various manufacturers of charging equipment fail to implement that standard correctly sometimes doesn't mean the standard doesn't exist.

I work at a memory chip company. The specifications for our products are maintained by JEDEC. It specifies the behavior, commands, signaling, timing, etc. of how the parts have to work to conform to that standard. Sometimes we or competitors have a problem in our design that misses some corner case of the standard, and we have to fix it, but that is not the same as there being no standard.

What you may have meant to convey, but stated incorrectly, is that there are multiple implementations of that standard, so there can be occasional deviations. It may be Tesla that's doing CCS wrong or some other manufacturer that's doing it wrong.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Since I love a good nerd-sniping session Tesla's plug is also a published standard, you can read up on it and download everything needed.

Back to the OP's original post... I suspect this is an issue both with how the grizzl-e is designed and whatever is different between the 8 year old Model S and the new 3/Ys. The fact that they haven't had any issues with other J1772 public chargers for any of the cars suggests that the issue is probably with the grizzl-e. I have a mobile connector on order since I needed a new one for traveling with anyway, I'll see if it has the same behavior when plugged into the outlet for the problematic charger.