Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official! Tesla website says HW2.0 cars "scheduling now" for MCU2 upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Infotainment Upgrade
Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.26.55 PM.png

Whether or not they will actually take you is another thing. Mixed results in the monster upgrade thread. Some are told to wait for an invite, some try with an appointment every few weeks.
I've tried every 4 weeks, which is what my SC told me to do, and no luck so far. I texted last night once I saw the updated website and haven't heard back yet.

And will they support adding the MCU2 radio (for an additional charge)?
From what other people have said it seems like they will not add the AM/FM radio even for additional charge.

How do I schedule this? Dumb question I know but when I picked up my car today, the guy told me to do it through the app.
Open/download the Tesla app (and sync your car if needed), click the "schedule service" button, and you can choose the correct services you desire. The infotainment upgrade is under software I think. Then just follow the rest of the steps and Tesla will contact you if they are able to do your requests!

I also scheduled successfully. Mobile service. I'm expecting a call or email saying that they cannot do this via mobile service. Next week will tell whether or not they cancel or change to a SC. BTW why would they "invite" you when this is not a free upgrade. $2.5K will limit the number of takers. Really interested in hearing from someone who has the upgrade installed. Always seemed too good to be true to me.

I also scheduled successfully. Mobile service. I'm expecting a call or email saying that they cannot do this via mobile service. Next week will tell whether or not they cancel or change to a SC. BTW why would they "invite" you when this is not a free upgrade. $2.5K will limit the number of takers. Really interested in hearing from someone who has the upgrade installed. Always seemed too good to be true to me.
Intrigued to hear about how yours goes! Everyone who has the upgrade so far has said MCU2 is like night and day difference.

As I suspected Tesla replied that the Upgrade is not available yet and will be a SC required install when available.

Hello John this is Tesla Mobile service, we are reaching out to you in regards to your scheduled mobile appointment. For the appointment related to the hardware 3 retrofit, at this time for your vehicles VIN the hardware 3 retrofit service bulletin not yet available. Once the VIN specific service bulletin for the retrofit is available, the vehicle will need to come into the service center for the Hardware 3 installation. If full self driving is not purchased the hardware 3 will not be available for your vehicles VIN service bulletin retrofit. If purchased and not yet available, any future follow-ups feel free to contact your nearest service center to confirm the bulletin availability. Thank you for your time John, if there are no other concern(s) please let us know if you would like for us to remove this appointme

As I suspected Tesla replied that the Upgrade is not available yet and will be a SC required install when available.

Hello John this is Tesla Mobile service, we are reaching out to you in regards to your scheduled mobile appointment. For the appointment related to the hardware 3 retrofit, at this time for your vehicles VIN the hardware 3 retrofit service bulletin not yet available. Once the VIN specific service bulletin for the retrofit is available, the vehicle will need to come into the service center for the Hardware 3 installation. If full self driving is not purchased the hardware 3 will not be available for your vehicles VIN service bulletin retrofit. If purchased and not yet available, any future follow-ups feel free to contact your nearest service center to confirm the bulletin availability. Thank you for your time John, if there are no other concern(s) please let us know if you would like for us to remove this appointme
Aw! I'm sorry!

I actually got a response from my SC today and they said both upgrades are available for my vehicle! They put in a part request and hopefully I'll know more soon!

Reactions: scottf200
Aw! I'm sorry!

I actually got a response from my SC today and they said both upgrades are available for my vehicle! They put in a part request and hopefully I'll know more soon!

Congrats on your SC appointment for the upgrade.

What month in 2017 did you take delivery?

My X delivered mid March 2017 and was probably in the first batch of the first 100D's delivered.
Trying to see if the two cars are close in mfg, and there is any logic if my SC approves or deny's my SC upgrade request.

-TechVP

I just posted this on another thread as well, but my SC told me that there’s no path forward for my May 17 delivered X with regards to the FSD chip upgrade. He communicated to me that it was the MCU1 that was the limiting factor. Not sure what reality is for us these days. Frustrating.

I just posted this on another thread as well, but my SC told me that there’s no path forward for my May 17 delivered X with regards to the FSD chip upgrade. He communicated to me that it was the MCU1 that was the limiting factor. Not sure what reality is for us these days. Frustrating.
The current path forward is to upgrade to MCU2 for $2500. Then you could get the FSD upgrade, most likely at the same service center visit.

Congrats on your SC appointment for the upgrade.

What month in 2017 did you take delivery?

My X delivered mid March 2017 and was probably in the first batch of the first 100D's delivered.
Trying to see if the two cars are close in mfg, and there is any logic if my SC approves or deny's my SC upgrade request.

-TechVP
My build is March 2017 and I got the same message from the sc earlier today.