Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

it rained today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still in my first week of ownership. It rained today, both light and heavy. The wipers on auto setting ran like crazy for a few drops of rain, behaved somewhat better in heavy rain. Two questions: 1) where/how do I adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers to get them to calm down and wipe at a more sensible rate? I've looked everywhere I can think of and have not yet found the adjustment, and 2) is there the equivalent of a manual intermittent wipe setting? Setting the manual speed at 1 is still way too fast for light rain. (I sure hope it isn't back to the dark days of having to turn the wipers on and off once a minute! I've really enjoyed not having to do that for the last two decades).

1) where/how do I adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers to get them to calm down and wipe at a more sensible rate?

You dont, in a tesla model 3 or Y, "auto is auto" there is no adjustment for it

2) is there the equivalent of a manual intermittent wipe setting? Setting the manual speed at 1 is still way too fast for light rain.

Speed 1 is it.

The auto wipers are one of the weakest parts of a tesla model 3 / Y (there are dozens of threads here on auto wipers). Each firmware update, people think it gets better, or worse, but you will likely fiddle with the wipers more than you have in any other car in the past 10+ years.

Agreed, they're pretty uneven. Put some aquapel the windshield on every 3 ish months and use the button to manually wipe as needed maybe?

I dont use any windshield products as I have read that sometimes that can cause chattering, but I have gotten so used to them being "fiddly" that I have ingrained pushing the manual button to swipe in my muscle memory (I dont even think about it any longer.... which frankly is bad).

My BMWs I put them on auto when I picked up the lease, and basically left them there and never thought about them again for 3 years until the lease was up. Some updates the wipers are better, some are worse (for me) but for my wife, going from her X3 to the model Y, the wipers were basically the only real concern I had.

They are tolerable now, but only just, imo... and I dont live someplace that rains nearly as much as you do.

Reactions: Corndart
I dont use any windshield products as I have read that sometimes that can cause chattering, but I have gotten so used to them being "fiddly" that I have ingrained pushing the manual button to swipe in my muscle memory (I dont even think about it any longer.... which frankly is bad).

My BMWs I put them on auto when I picked up the lease, and basically left them there and never thought about them again for 3 years until the lease was up. Some updates the wipers are better, some are worse (for me) but for my wife, going from her X3 to the model Y, the wipers were basically the only real concern I had.

They are tolerable now, but only just, imo... and I dont live someplace that rains nearly as much as you do.
True, Aquapel can definitely make the blades skip/chatter a little but it's miles better than Rain-x IME, the rain literally melts off. The trouble is in dirty/dusty climates, its going to require re-application every couple months, which starts to become a chore. In the PacNW I can put it on 2x during the fall/winter months it seems to hold up okay. It's on my list of to-do's in the next couple weekends.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Still in my first week of ownership. It rained today, both light and heavy. The wipers on auto setting ran like crazy for a few drops of rain, behaved somewhat better in heavy rain. Two questions: 1) where/how do I adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers to get them to calm down and wipe at a more sensible rate? I've looked everywhere I can think of and have not yet found the adjustment, and 2) is there the equivalent of a manual intermittent wipe setting? Setting the manual speed at 1 is still way too fast for light rain. (I sure hope it isn't back to the dark days of having to turn the wipers on and off once a minute! I've really enjoyed not having to do that for the last two decades).
Pressing the button on the end of the left stalk on the steering wheel will initiate one swipe of the windshield wipers. This also brings up the Wiper settings. You can select Level 1 - 4, Auto and Off. The wiper settings will reset to Auto the next time you drive.

You can permanently add the wiper control functions to the bottom of the screen. Press and hold the [ - - - ] icon at the bottom of the screen, select and drag a function icon from the tray to the bottom of the screen. You can add up to four functions from the tray to be fixed at the bottom of the screen. Press and hold the functions to rearrange the order of the functions. Press the X in the corner of the function icon to return the function to the tray.

The voice commands work well for manually controlling the windshield wipers:

V11 Tesla Voice Commands

Button is the way. Voice commands take too long, but it's nice to have that option.

Personally, auto wipers are fine with me. Nothing is perfect, but I can filter out seeing the wipers move. Only thing I don't have on auto is high beams. Because i can't filter out bright lights for other people.

If it makes you feel better, I have a new (Sept) MX and in a mist fended up just pushing the button ever couple of minutes to give the windshield a swipe. Intermittent wasn’t often enough and on low, was too frequent. Sometimes the human touch is still best.