Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues Clearing MCU v1 Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.

TL;DR - Replaced drive unit seal but still getting an error. Tesla won't clear the error. Can't clear it with Tesla Toolbox v3. Would like assistance getting the error cleared.

Trying like crazy to get the BMS_f027 error cleared from my 2012 MS P85 with MCU v1. I understand the root cause of the error was a faulty seal in the drive unit which I've replaced with a redesigned seal that's less likely to fail as quickly as the OEM seal did. I had hoped (I know, I know) that after replacing the seal, making sure the inverter was sealed/dry, and everything else associated with the seal replacement that the error would go away which it didn't.

Tried to get Tesla to remotely clear the error but they won't clear the error without verifying that the repair was done up to their specifications which requires sending the drive unit to Freemont for inspection - and I know it'll fail that inspection because I didn't use an OEM drive unit seal. After all, those seals fail, Tesla wouldn't sell me one anyway, and I'm sure as heck not putting a used seal that's known to fail into my drive unit.

Ordered the cable from eBay. Subscribed to Tesla Toolbox (v3, online-only version) for a month. Can't get the Toolbox software to work with the car. Tried another cable and three other laptops - still no luck. I can't find any official software release notes but what I've unofficially heard is that Toolbox v3 won't work with the Tegra-based MCU v1. My local service center said that v3 will work and let me know that v2 is not available in the US for private parties.

I'm rather stuck. I could pay $200 to tow the car back to Tesla, pay them $1500 to upgrade the MCU, and then hope that I can clear the error with the Tesla Toolbox. I could roll the dice on some questionable-looking hardware/software solution from AliExpress for ~$400 or pay 3x that for a seemingly more reliable hardware/software combo from Europe.

Being in the Midwest, I don't know of any local shops that can assist. I found a company in California who could clear the error but it would require the car being shipped there. I found a company out of India who said they could clear it remotely (via a Ubuntu jump box and the aforementioned cable) but didn't reply after I asked if it'd work with the Tegra-based MCU.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the error cleared, I would love to hear it!

TIA!
-Mark

Reactions: jvonbokel
I haven't but appreciate the suggestion. I just checked it out and it seems like that could be an option. I recently ordered a tool from China that I think/hope will be able to send the right info via the CAN bus to reset the error. Will post an update afterward!

A tool/device that has connections to allow me to send messages on the CAN bus (one of the TSLA Pro devices from AliExpress). Unfortunately, Tesla Toolbox v3 doesn't work with my Terga-based MCU so that set me back several bucks and about a month. Tesla Toolbox v2 isn't available to end users in the US, maddeningly.

AliExpress has missed their projected delivery window so I'll have to report back later than I wanted!