Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Is this okay to drive on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_6801.jpg

Only have about 400 miles on the car. Unfortunatley got this by backing out from a tight garage enterance. Haven't lost any PSI so far and dont see any chords. General concensus seems to be that is okay for low profile tires as they are intentionally designed to to protect the rims. For the model Y the rims seems to be doing the protecting for the tires...lol. Debating if I should continue driving and monitoring the wheel and replacing it once the othe back tire wares down. Thoughts?

If his inquiry was for a Peterbuilt truck I would accept your certainty. As it’s a performance heavy car with his Family on board not so much sorry.

Okay, what about car mechanics? This is a highly-rated answer from stackexchange from a mechanic with 40 years of experience.

Paulster2 said:
The damage you are showing is minor cosmetic damage.

If the following occurs with sidewall damage, then get it replaced:

• Tire deflation (cannot be legally repaired in most countries)
  • You pull the flap back and see damage to the side wall plies (corded area under the rubber which supports the tire) whether deflation has occurred or not
  • Bulging of the tire at the damage site
If you aren't seeing any of these things, you should not have any issues running your tire until the tread wears out (normal use).

As a side note (and primarily my opinion with nothing to really back it up), the area where your damage has occurred seems to be extra rubber put in place on low profile tires to help protect the rims from curb rash. Yours looks like it was a little more serious of a curb encounter, but still, if no issues as stated above, you should be fine.

EDIT: If the flap of rubber sticking out bothers you (aesthetically), use a small amount of rubber cement to it and it should keep it in place. It really isn't bothering anything the way it is.

Upvote 0
I’d recommend asking a shop with experienced techs who don’t stand to gain from a tire sale. Just like service centers and dealerships sell unnecessary maintenance, a tire shop has every incentive to condemn the tire to make a sale.

Yeah, that's the problem with that recommendation. It's like walking into a restaurant and asking... "should I eat here"?

Upvote 0
View attachment 949719

Only have about 400 miles on the car. Unfortunatley got this by backing out from a tight garage enterance. Haven't lost any PSI so far and dont see any chords. General concensus seems to be that is okay for low profile tires as they are intentionally designed to to protect the rims. For the model Y the rims seems to be doing the protecting for the tires...lol. Debating if I should continue driving and monitoring the wheel and replacing it once the othe back tire wares down. Thoughts?
NEW TIRE TIME. IMMEDIATELY.
Get a warranty with the replacement tire. That way when or if it happens again, you get a reduced fee or free replacement.
ie Discount Tire or America's Tire

Upvote 0
NEW TIRE TIME. IMMEDIATELY.
Get a warranty with the replacement tire. That way when or if it happens again, you get a reduced fee or free replacement.
ie Discount Tire or America's Tire

I'd go one step further and say... NEW CAR. If this happened to your tire once, it's gonna happen again. Drop this hunk o' junk car off at my house and go get a new one. Clearly defective.

/s

Upvote 0
I’d recommend asking a shop with experienced techs who don’t stand to gain from a tire sale. Just like service centers and dealerships sell unnecessary maintenance, a tire shop has every incentive to condemn the tire to make a sale.
One would think that tire shop would steer you toward buying new tires, but I had an opposite experience recently. I spun out on a track a few weeks ago and thought at least 2 of the tires were gone (nearly new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S). I took all 4 wheels to my local Discount Tire and asked them to assess the damage and let me know. To my surprise they checked the tires and told me they are all still good even though I made it pretty clear I was willing to get new tires and what I was thinking of getting depending on how many were dead. So while it makes sense that tire shops have incentive to steer you toward new tires, I guess sometimes there are people who will do an honest assessment of your tires and give you proper guidance.

Upvote 0
So evaluating experts for truck safety are the same process for cars? Don’t think so.
I can't actually tell what you're trying to say here, since I'm not evaluating any experts; I'm evaluating safety regs. Truck tires work the same way as car tires, only with higher pressure and more miles per year. And the safety regulations are tighter. So yes, if a car tire is damaged in a way that is deemed safe for a truck tire, it's going to be safe for a car.

If a computer is authorized for use in spaceflight, is it reliable enough for your desktop?

If your watch is certified to survive 100 m depth, is it safe to use in your swimming pool?

Upvote 0
I can't actually tell what you're trying to say here, since I'm not evaluating any experts; I'm evaluating safety regs. Truck tires work the same way as car tires, only with higher pressure and more miles per year. And the safety regulations are tighter. So yes, if a car tire is damaged in a way that is deemed safe for a truck tire, it's going to be safe for a car.

If a computer is authorized for use in spaceflight, is it reliable enough for your desktop?

If your watch is certified to survive 100 m depth, is it safe to use in your swimming pool?
I’ll simplify for you. Random “I’m an experts” on the internet should not be providing safety assessments and assurances based on No actual data other than a random small photo. Nor should the OP be considering Any of the feedback Other than take it to a shop for evaluation. “trust me I‘m a 40 year oil change guy/mechanic“ is not a wise certification to follow with decisions like this.

• Disagree
Reactions: mborkow
Upvote 0
This thread is hysterical.

The OP posts a single photo, showing damage from a poor angle, and 35 posts later, we're still bickering about a solution. The only real tire (truck) expert is being dismissed by some as being irrelevant.

The OP must be sitting back, watching this, with multiple servings of 🍿and🍺!

Upvote 0
I'm going to bet that OP is still driving on that tire (as I think he should). Having seen the wide range of opinions, he's erred on the side of thriftiness and decided to cut the little flap off and get on with life.
I don't think anyone would provide a written safety certification for a side wall damage.

Titan submersible also lacked safety certification but it worked for a while until it just imploded.

Reactions: Yelobird
Upvote 0
Tam: based on the single poor photo, the damage is entirely superficial, only minimally damaging the "rim guard," doing exactly what it's designed to do.

(Now, to "put my money where my mouth is,", maybe I should shave the entire rim guard off a tire and await a catastrophic tire failure. (HAHAHA!)

WE NEED ANOTHER PHOTO, from the side, showing the depth of the cut.

Upvote 0