Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal ?? - Wh/km literally off the charts !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same thing happened to me today when driving in ~ 15 cm (~6 inches) of snow and it did say very high ~600 + for quite some time even while I was driving slowly on the plowed (center bear) roads... Very disconserning... I would like to understand what is going on better so I know how to deal with it / control / avoid it?

- - - Updated - - -

Same thing happened to me today when driving in ~ 15 cm (~6 inches) of snow and it did say very high ~600 + for quite some time even while I was driving slowly on the plowed (center bear) roads... Very disconserning... I would like to understand what is going on better so I know how to deal with it / control / avoid it?

CurrieG, did you have regen available ? Did your middle screen have a warning pop up saying "battery is warming"... I think all that energy was likely warming your battery pack, and because you were moving slowly, your energy usage PER KM was very high ( remember this is energy/distance chart)...I had the same thing happen to me..but it was just that one time..as the next day everything was fine.

CurrieG, did you have regen available ? Did your middle screen have a warning pop up saying "battery is warming"... I think all that energy was likely warming your battery pack, and because you were moving slowly, your energy usage PER KM was very high ( remember this is energy/distance chart)...I had the same thing happen to me..but it was just that one time..as the next day everything was fine.

I did have very little Regen ~ 15 KWH I did not see a Battery Is Warming message. (Why does the car sometimes show less tha 60 KWH Regen available? What parameters control this?)

Thanks!

I did have very little Regen ~ 15 KWH I did not see a Battery Is Warming message. (Why does the car sometimes show less tha 60 KWH Regen available? What parameters control this?)

Thanks!

So as you had no, or little, regen available, that means the battery was not warm enough to receive the energy from regen, so the car limits or disables regen feature...and your car was using up energy in warming the battery, and since you were driving slowly, your energy usage PER Km went off the charts...

So as you had no, or little, regen available, that means the battery was not warm enough to receive the energy from regen, so the car limits or disables regen feature...and your car was using up energy in warming the battery, and since you were driving slowly, your energy usage PER Km went off the charts...

Thanks! Makes sense...I will track monitor going foward... I have only had the car four days... still learning. (GREAT CAR!)

This happens to me every morning these days. It was 8F this morning and I had no regen with the energy spiked to heat the batteries. It lasted about 6 - 10 miles before the batteries heated up. The regen slowly returned during that time.
I have a strategy for this ... about 20 minutes before leaving on a cold day, and with the car plugged in, flip over to a Range mode charge at reduced amperage. Most of the power will go into getting the battery and cabin warmed up. Unfortunately this requires going out to the car, but once we have the smartphone apps, we can probably do this remotely.

I have a strategy for this ... about 20 minutes before leaving on a cold day, and with the car plugged in, flip over to a Range mode charge at reduced amperage. Most of the power will go into getting the battery and cabin warmed up. Unfortunately this requires going out to the car, but once we have the smartphone apps, we can probably do this remotely.
That is a fabulous idea. Thanks for the tip.

See RB's idea, above. Some time (½ hr?) before leaving, switch to Range Charge at low aperage. The cabin and battery will heat while only trickling mileage in. Warm air, full regen, on "shore power" -- what's not to like? :smile: {applause}

An alternate someone suggested was all night on Range Charge on 110 V; virtually no miles, but warm and ready in the morning.

Rear window defog is one of the LOWEST drawing items in an EV. Having it on will have little impact on range. It will eat less than 1 mile of range per HOUR of it being on.

In every ICE I've had, turning on the rear defog, has always cause a high amperage draw, head light dim for a split second, and ammeter fluctuates. Always more so then anything else electrical in use. Also they use one of the larges amp fuses in the fuse banks.

See RB's idea, above. Some time (½ hr?) before leaving, switch to Range Charge at low aperage. The cabin and battery will heat while only trickling mileage in. Warm air, full regen, on "shore power" -- what's not to like? :smile: {applause}

An alternate someone suggested was all night on Range Charge on 110 V; virtually no miles, but warm and ready in the morning.

How much will it cost/draw all night on 110V?

In every ICE I've had, turning on the rear defog, has always cause a high amperage draw, head light dim for a split second, and ammeter fluctuates. Always more so then anything else electrical in use. Also they use one of the larges amp fuses in the fuse banks.

That's correct. But an ICE uses the engine for locomotion, so the available power is a fraction of what's available in an ICE.
To be specific, rear defrost will draw about 250 watts. That's significant for an ICE's 12V system. It's pathetically small for an EV. Moving the car at 70 MPH draws something on the order of 20,000 watts. That's ~100 times more power than the rear defrost. Flooring the car (performance 85 model) draws over 300,000 watts. That's ~1,500 times the draw.
So, rear defrost has virtually zero impact on range. Literally this: about 1 mile of range loss per HOUR you use it.
Hope that clears things up!