Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a good idea? 60D-75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really not worth it. After all, you can charge to 100%.

I originally ordered a 100D, but after some quick calculations and the opinion of my sales representative, the range of the 100D is not much worth it if your commute is <120 miles or you travel long distances at least once a month.

SFO to LA only took 30 mins more in a 75D than in a 100D. Hard to justify 30 mins of your time = 17 thousand dollars (Unless you travel this route frequently).

I'm sure your experiences will be similar.

• Helpful
Reactions: BLKMDL3
We may buy out the car after lease. We will also take a cross country trip soon

If you had an S, I'd say go for it. It's not that much of a difference on an X, especially since you don't do much day to day. Also since you said "may" there seems to be uncertainty. I'd recommend against purchasing it, it's money lost if you upgrade. You may plan on it, but there may also be an AP3, HUD, automatic back massager or who knows what by the time your lease ends.

• Informative
Don't forget, that last 20% takes 30-40 minutes to charge.
Really useful to wake up with 100% before a long trip, but you really don't want to be sitting at a supercharger going for 100% on a non-restricted battery.
Then again, the 75D will fetch more in a private sale than a 60D would, so you'll get back some of the dough.

• Helpful
Don't forget, that last 20% takes 30-40 minutes to charge.
Really useful to wake up with 100% before a long trip, but you really don't want to be sitting at a supercharger going for 100% on a non-restricted battery.
Then again, the 75D will fetch more in a private sale than a 60D would, so you'll get back some of the dough.
Maybe I will see resale values when it is time. If it drops to 2k I will buy then sell the car and maybe get the 2k back.

Was planning on buying it out. Love it so much

On a non-tesla, buying out the car at the end of lease can often be a good deal. However, the way Tesla structures the leases for their cars - it is almost always a bad financial deal for the person wanting to buy the car out at the end of the lease. Tesla calculates the residual value(and therefore the buy-out price) by calculating a residual percentage(51% for 3years @ 12kmi/yr) and ADDING the $7500 tax credit to that residual. That's the method via which people that lease get to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit, but if you buy the car out at the end of the lease then you effectively don't get to enjoy any of that $7500.

So when lease end time comes around make sure to seriously evaluate your options. It may be possible that turning in your lease and purchasing a different CPO vehicle could end up being much more financially advantageous. Intuitively it doesn't make sense, but Tesla lease structure is very strange.

• Informative
FWIW: The factors that convinced me to get the larger (in my case 100kWh) battery were not that it accumulates available mileage quicker at the superchargers (although it does that too), nor that my daily commute would cycle the battery to a lesser degree (although it does that too) but rather, that I could achieve various day trips without even charging en-route. Whereas my previous X75D would incur the necessity for a mid-trip charge on our weekend routes (locating, detouring, waiting for & at supercharger - first world problems I admit) I can now readily round-trip from east bay SF to Monterey, Santa Cruz, Napa & well beyond without even thinking about where/when/if to charge. Just plugin at home of an evening, like my phone. :p
This has undoubtedly (although somewhat unconsciously) expanded our candidate destinations on weekends :) That's worth a lot to my family.

I admit some of these advantages are specific to a more electrically voluminous (physical) battery (vs. the software unlock which realistically, won't change your charge rate, nor cycle-wear for a fixed commute distance) but the day trip logistics might bring significant value for your use-case if there are frequent destinations that are just out of reach with the 60D sans-supercharge.

As always, the answer is "it depends".

For me, this has been an enormous advantage & I'd definitely do it again given the choice.

• Informative
Reactions: chris5639
FWIW: The factors that convinced me to get the larger (in my case 100kWh) battery were not that it accumulates available mileage quicker at the superchargers (although it does that too), nor that my daily commute would cycle the battery to a lesser degree (although it does that too) but rather, that I could achieve various day trips without even charging en-route. Whereas my previous X75D would incur the necessity for a mid-trip charge on our weekend routes (locating, detouring, waiting for & at supercharger - first world problems I admit) I can now readily round-trip from east bay SF to Monterey, Santa Cruz, Napa & well beyond without even thinking about where/when/if to charge. Just plugin at home of an evening, like my phone. :p
This has undoubtedly (although somewhat unconsciously) expanded our candidate destinations on weekends :) That's worth a lot to my family.

I admit some of these advantages are specific to a more electrically voluminous (physical) battery (vs. the software unlock which realistically, won't change your charge rate, nor cycle-wear for a fixed commute distance) but the day trip logistics might bring significant value for your use-case if there are frequent destinations that are just out of reach with the 60D sans-supercharge.

As always, the answer is "it depends".

For me, this has been an enormous advantage & I'd definitely do it again given the choice.
Someone hit my car and it may be totaled. If it is (very likely) getting a new car (75D). Here is the thread ACCIDENT!!!
thanks