Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there really a best tint manufacture? Or...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new 2024 M3P arriving soon and want to tint all the windows (my now M3P has Xpel XR Plus all around)

BUT I want to make sure I have the best this time around. So, I have been going crazy reading, studying, trying to decide which manufacture (3M, Xpel, Llumar) really produces the best film.

What I have decided is: One can't go wrong with any of the three as long as their top ceramic product or maybe even the second tiered ceramic product is chosen along with good installers.

Am I crazy in thinking this way OR is there really a BEST film manufacturer and I'm not noticing it??

Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar
Ceramic tint is snake oil for cars. Your car is still going to reach the same interior temp, just 20 minutes later...

Yes, I agree, if the car just sits there in the heat. While sitting, the heat rises from the concrete and black-top which enters through the bottom of the car into the interior while the tint stops the heat from entering through the glass. So, yes again, the car will eventually always get hot if it sits in the heat.

In my case, the car will never just sit there. It will always be driving, cooling the car from below while the tint stops the heat from entering above. That's why I want a good ceramic tint to stop the heat from entering the glass. Can stop heat from above but can't from below.

Ceramic is a better tint for my purpose.

Reactions: mrplt
Yes, I agree, if the car just sits there in the heat. While sitting, the heat rises from the concrete and black-top which enters through the bottom of the car into the interior while the tint stops the heat from entering through the glass. So, yes again, the car will eventually always get hot if it sits in the heat.

In my case, the car will never just sit there. It will always be driving, cooling the car from below while the tint stops the heat from entering above. That's why I want a good ceramic tint to stop the heat from entering the glass. Can stop heat from above but can't from below.

Ceramic is a better tint for my purpose.
Fair enough, wanted to acknowledge that there is a difference with ceramic, just not to the extent that some tint places try upsell it. My car sits outside in the sun a lot so its value to me compared to yours is close to zero.

Ceramic tint is snake oil for cars.
My old Mazda had ceramic tint (Xpel XR) all around. My dad's car has dyed tint. The difference is night and day. Even according to the datasheets, dyed films reject ~35% of the solar energy whereas a quality ceramic tint will reject ~60%.
My Model 3 isn't tinted yet (dropping it off tomorrow - Autobahn i3 which is surprisingly expensive) and I forgot how big of a difference tints make in terms of heat.
I usually park outside for short periods of time (to get coffee, to charge the car etc.) and the difference in heat rejection will make a big difference.
Autobahn i3 seems to have better solar rejection than Xpel/Llumar, although the brand is new to me. And I see how the price would turn people away,

@JimShaw did you get the pano roof tinted as well? It already seems to be rejecting a significant amount of heat.

Yes there is a best, and once you educate yourself on how to measure tint performance and what metrics matter, then you'll understand why.

Prestige Spectra PhotoSync. Whatever you do though, don't look into it because you'll realize what junk 3M, Xpel, Llumar etc. are and how people have been drinking the Kool-Aid for years, paying a premium for an at best average tints.

Reactions: mrplt
Yes there is a best, and once you educate yourself on how to measure tint performance and what metrics matter, then you'll understand why.

Prestige Spectra PhotoSync. Whatever you do though, don't look into it because you'll realize what junk 3M, Xpel, Llumar etc. are and how people have been drinking the Kool-Aid for years, paying a premium for an at best average tints.
Specs. Wow, 75%-79% solar energy rejection for the 32% tint.

ashegam

Thanks for the link

I was able to talk to a company that installs the Spectraphoto Sync IRD

To do all Model 3's windows, including the windshield, it would cost about $2,100 plus tax.

That's about $900 to $1,000 more than having Xpel's XR+'s, Llumar's or 3M's top of the line ceramic tint installed.

Don't think it's worth it to me.

i can definitely feel the heat on my left arm when driving North bound in the afternoon (sun towards the West/left side) w/o tint. i looked on Google Maps for XPEL and LLumar installers, the 1 local XPEL installer had quite a few negative feedbacks. the 2 local LLumar installers had very few negatives. one of them I've used before and they've been around for a long time and are usually very busy. i called and their next available slot was a few days away. the other installer was newer and less busy, and a little cheaper. gave them a try and was super happy, the tint was perfect. IRX 15% $445 sides and rear, Air80 $165 windshield.

That's their window film. Their automotive specs can be found here.
That's even better, 80% TSER for 30%!
i can definitely feel the heat on my left arm when driving North bound in the afternoon (sun towards the West/left side) w/o tint. i looked on Google Maps for XPEL and LLumar installers, the 1 local XPEL installer had quite a few negative feedbacks. the 2 local LLumar installers had very few negatives. one of them I've used before and they've been around for a long time and are usually very busy. i called and their next available slot was a few days away. the other installer was newer and less busy, and a little cheaper. gave them a try and was super happy, the tint was perfect. IRX 15% $445 sides and rear, Air80 $165 windshield.
Congrats! The price seems to be decent as well. Did you get the full rear glass done?
I dropped mine off today (for tint and PPF), and even the drive to the tint shop was annoying because of the heat. It doesn't help that Toronto is extra warm nowadays. Autobahn i3 22 on the sides and full back glass, and 70 on the windshield.