Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any way to turn on 'Minimal Lane Changes for the Current Drive' without going into the settings (Model S/X)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jlv1

Twice as much fun
Oct 14, 2015
Central MA
I have a 2023 Model S and a 2024 Model X, both on the latest software. It appears there is no way to turn on 'Minimal Lane Changes for the Current Drive' without going into Controls -> Autopilot.

From the Model S/X manual: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-2CB60804-9CEA-4F4B-8B04-09B991368DC5.html

1715721220239.png

But the Model 3/Y manual has this extra note about using the right steering wheel button:

1715721298378.png

I don't understand why this is missing on the S and X.

Moving the right scroll wheel left/right in the new Model S/X doesn’t do anything currently, according to the manual. Worse, when I tried to do that for the same reason you did, it was the same as pressing the scroll wheel and it disengaged FSD. So yes, you have to use the touchscreen, which is a pain.

I mentioned this in another thread, and someone there said they are able to move the right scroll wheel left/right in their S without disengaging FSD, even though it doesn’t do anything else, but I haven’t been able to do that. Can you move your right scroll wheel left/right without disengaging (or engaging) FSD? If so, there might be something wrong with mine.

I do not have an S but as a test, go into the menu and put the car into auto steer mode, that is do not run the car with FSD. Now try engaging auto steer and see if the right scroll button moving it left or right changes your follow distance.

I do not have an S but as a test, go into the menu and put the car into auto steer mode, that is do not run the car with FSD. Now try engaging auto steer and see if the right scroll button moving it left or right changes your follow distance.
No, that doesn’t work in the new S/X. Moving the scroll wheel left/right does nothing in any situation. Not sure why Tesla did that, and hopefully they’ll change it later.

Yes - for both our S and X, moving the right scroll wheel left/right does not disengage FSD. It just does nothing.
Thanks for confirming. I’ll have my car serviced if I can’t get it to work that way.

• Informative
Reactions: jlv1 and ATPMSD
Yes - for both our S and X, moving the right scroll wheel left/right does not disengage FSD. It just does nothing.
It does do one thing: it's an alternative way to clear the steering wheel nags when they pop up. I prefer it to putting torque on the wheel since. For me the buttons have a lot lower risk of accidentally disengaging autosteer / FSD.