Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a list of Battery Pack rankings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to find a ranking list or pros & cons of the MS battery packs. I thought this would be helpful for making a used MS purchase and I could find out more about the 2015-2017 battery pack reliability and what not.

Not all battery packs of a given type are created equal. For example, not all 85 packs have been capped on voltage or charging speeds, and there are 3 versions of the 90 packs. In researching used cars, it's best to see what the rated range is for a given charge level and extrapolate full based on that number. If the seller will allow, you can attach an OBD2 cable to the diagnostic port and then running a bluetooth OBD2 module w/a CAN bus scanner to determine voltage and other details of the battery such as how much level 3 charging it has done and what the voltages are.

Not all battery packs of a given type are created equal. For example, not all 85 packs have been capped on voltage or charging speeds, and there are 3 versions of the 90 packs. In researching used cars, it's best to see what the rated range is for a given charge level and extrapolate full based on that number. If the seller will allow, you can attach an OBD2 cable to the diagnostic port and then running a bluetooth OBD2 module w/a CAN bus scanner to determine voltage and other details of the battery such as how much level 3 charging it has done and what the voltages are.

I realize this, that is why I asked. I know everyone says v3 of a 90D...but I have never seen a list of ranking the packs. It would be helpful to know if I should care more about the face refresh or the battery pack, like 2015 70D vs 2016 75D or 2015 85D vs 2016 90D