Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 on death row because of the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Women place huge emphasis in feeling safe and sitting higher with a better outward view provides some of that feeling for them. However, SUV's have a higher center of gravity and to compensate require stiffer suspensions to compensate which deteriorates the ride. They are more prone to tipping over as well. Over the years, I can't tell you how many times I have seen accidents involving an SUV where it had rolled. FWIW, my wife prefers the Model 3 because it looks sportier. And I prefer the physics advantage of a lower center of gravity.

Women place huge emphasis in feeling safe and sitting higher...

I was afraid this would be an issue with my wife. If you don't have a big lumpy hood out the front (she loves her Mustang GT) she thinks her toes are at risk. But she got in the Model 3 and pronounced it "safe feeling." I can't explain it, but for some reason our safety theory didn't pan out in this case.

I have not heard from Model Y owners what kind of watts/mi they are seeing in day to day driving. I have trouble believing that even with the efficiency improvements of the Y, the Model 3 does not have an edge being lower and a bit lighter.

I am a car guy through and through, but at this stage in my life, mid 40's I can appreciate the practicality of the much larger hatch of the model Y. Power lift gate is nice too but the model 3 trunk is no issue. However what did it for me was the loss of 0-60 time. 3.2 versus 3.5 with the model 3 testing at 2.99. There is something much cooler about having a car in the 2's than in the 3's.

I will though be all over the cyber truck if I can afford it and once its been out a little bit especially if it handles like they claim and I can drive it anywhere. Jeep wrangler meet 2 second acceleration without flipping over.

It looks better in person. It’s hard to tell the 3 and Y apart looking from the front unless they are sitting next to each other.

The front of the model 3 is the least appealing part of its appearance, to me at least. I really like the side and rear profiles, but dont really like the "Cars" (kids movie) look of the front.

Model S / X look much better, and tesla should have kept the "floating T" in the front as their signature look, like BMWs "kidney grills" and Audi's large grill face, etc.

On thread topic, The Y will outsell the 3 in the US, because lots of people here wan "big" cars that sit further upright. When my wifes lease on her X3 is up, I might consider it, but she and I both dont like the "bubble car" look of the Y (and the BMW X4 / X6, and similar "huge car" looking vehicles).

Wife also doesnt like (but doesnt hate) the look of the X, and no other EV even interests me at this point other than Teslas. I have 2 more years on that X3 lease, so will see whats out when that car comes out of lease.

I'm kind of liking the Y. Will likely get one next time around. (maybe sooner if they offer any really good deals because of COVID) I like that it has more room, a tow hitch option, and damn near the same performance as the 3. (I don't think I'll really miss 3/10th of a second) Although I need to drive one first to be 100% sure.

My first two new cars were both PT Cruisers, which were sort of crossovers before crossovers were really a thing. I always loved the utility of those cars. I didn't have a tow hitch, but I did pack a lot of stuff into the back with the seats down and even slept back there on a couple of road trips. I kind of miss that utility.

Until now there wasn't really a crossover on the market that met my performance needs. But the Y is faster than pretty much any other sedan out there with the exception of other Teslas.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
OFF TOPIC :oops:

what about that x7 though !!!! that sucker is HUUUGE!

coming from driving SUVs since 2006, its a big shift for me to get in a car (model 3) that lets me see almost under the car in front of me. :p

make no mistake, i love the 3!

Yeah, Off Topic, but BMWs current design language on the new models for the kidney grills is "lets make them as big as possible because people dig bigger grills, lol. Its not as bad on the X7 in person as online (because that car is massive anyway), but the pics of the upcoming 4 series... laughable lol.

Anyway, So that I am back on topic....

I think the original premise (death row for the model 3) is silly... now the model X on the other hand... I have a hard time as seeing the model X worth the price of 2 or even 3 model 3s / Ys.

For the additional cost & reduced range I expect if both existed last year we still would have bought a 3. We find the luggage space is very useful, granted a hatch would be easier to load.
KnM5lIHb.jpg

SR+ seen here with 300 litres of garden soil on board. With plenty of room for more.

• Funny