Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the AB worth it in Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I take delivery on my first Tesla in a few days. My only question is would the acceleration boost be worth it in LA? It will typically be my commuter car but might take it on short road trips. The only reason why I didn’t get the performance model from the start is I have a steep driveway and I was worried about ground clearance. Luckily the price does not matter and am just wanting to make sure I am not being wasteful. I drive on the freeway 80-90% of the time. Thank you for your guidance!

Hello everyone,

I take delivery on my first Tesla Y in a few days. My only question is would the acceleration boost be worth it in LA? It will typically be my commuter car but might take it on short road trips. The only reason why I didn’t get the performance model from the start is I have a steep driveway and I was worried about ground clearance. Luckily the price does not matter and am just wanting to make sure I am not being wasteful. I drive on the freeway 80-90% of the time. Thank you for your guidance!

I’d go with the perf Y. Is it that much lower? You get 30 less miles but it’s worth it. 3.5 0-60 vs 4.2. Accel boost. But either way Accel boost is worth it to me. It’s fun. That’s a good enough reason to purchase. Live life partly for enjoyment if not completely.

That's highly subjective. The car will have ridiculous acceleration to begin with... but for those that still want more, $2k is relatively inexpensive to shave .5 seconds off of the 0-60 time (from what others who mod their ICE vehicles for the track have said).

I thought I'd buy Acceleration Boost myself at some point, but I eventually decided against it. My Model 3 launches so quickly (M3LR), and ultimately you get used to whatever speed you have. If you're looking for help deciding, I recommend you wait a month and see what you think of the acceleration. See how often you floor it from a standstill. A/B might be useless to you, or maybe it brings new excitement 12 months from now. You can buy a lot of Nintendo games for $2k.

I’d go with the perf Y. Is it that much lower? You get 30 less miles but it’s worth it. 3.5 0-60 vs 4.2. Accel boost. But either way Accel boost is worth it to me. It’s fun. That’s a good enough reason to purchase. Live life partly for enjoyment if not completely.
So normally the half of foot would not be a issue but the grading of my driveway is insane

Honestly, I'd buy the P vs the LR in the Y. The Y LR is basically dog-slow. It is 0-60 in 4.8 vs 3.5 of the P. That is a world of difference.

The M3 LR is 4.2 stock. Which is at least getting closer to the fun range. Even putting boost on the MY LR, it still isn't as quick as the M3 LR. I was so bored of my MY LR w/boost that I sold it and bought the 3.

If the cost isn't an issue, buy the MYP. Ditch the 21" wheels for 20's or 19's (better range) and upgrade the suspension to coilovers. You'll thank me later. Friends don't let friends buy the MY LR if they value acceleration at all.

Cancel/transfer your order to an MYP now. Or if you want a really fun car and can give up some space, buy the M3P or M3 LR w/boost. SOoooo much more fun to drive than a Y. I think Car and Driver said it right when they called the Y "clumsy". Compared to the 3 it is like a hippo on ice skates.

So I live in a townhouse so I can’t regrade the driveway. (I have been asking the HOA to) I can’t do a 3 because I have arthritis and being too low makes me knees act up. We have a tandem garage and the X won’t fit. I don’t care that much about acceleration since they are both way faster than my Audi 5. The Y performance is barely higher than the A5 so I know it would scrape :(. I never go fast enough to need to boost I just want it lol.
1690397652138.png

Is 0.6" difference enough the P won't fit? If it is the initial approach, you could easily pour a little concrete or put a board to help the approach angle.

If performance doesn't matter, you could probably even go with the base version. Keep in mind, the smoothness of the Tesla acceleration curve actually makes it a lot of times feel slower than it is because there are no real peaks in acceleration. On the flip side, there is always peak acceleration whenever you mash the accelerator.

Hopefully you drove all the versions before placing an order.

GGround Clearance (with 2 passengers)Performance 6.2 in
Non-Performance 6.8 in

Hey so I already placed an order. I’ve been in a performance and base never long range which I bought. 5 of my coworkers have the 3 long range 2 have the 3 base. My attorney has the 3 performance and my dad has the regular S. I’ve actually never been in a Y before and it arrives tomorrow. So before this car I went through a car broker and got a new car every 2 years with a lease sight unseen without test driving . I actually bought this car without driving it before but I’ve had cars this size before. I included photos of my driveway for reference

Attachments

• 71072446030__DD19818A-597A-43C7-A844-EF4441D7C7E8.jpeg
    71072446030__DD19818A-597A-43C7-A844-EF4441D7C7E8.jpeg
    933.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7775.png
    IMG_7775.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 41
The 3 Performance is lower by a lot. Could be even more if an older one where it was lower than the LR by about a half inch. Here is the current M3 ride height from the manual. So the MYP has at least 0.7" extra ground clearance.

Ground Clearance
5.5 in140 mm