Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla build quality better or worse then competition EV manufactures? And is it significantly better now than it was 2/3/10 years ago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, I'm hoping to get a Tesla soon, but every time I even mention it to people (online or in-person) someone just has to mention build quality (panel gaps I'm assuming) and they begin explaining why I shouldn't get a Tesla.

In my mind, if it was a big enough problem I'm assuming there'd be recalls, new designs, lawsuits, government coming in or something? Is it all just exaggerated? Is it on par with other companies?

Thank you kindly all, just joined the forum today, going to spend a few hours reading through some threads in here, I'm excited!

There have been many threads on build quality and no one other than Tesla would have a good idea of just how unacceptable their presented and non-presented flaws are. I remember the days when folks were waiting on a reservation list for just about any model with the similar story:

1) accept deliver of a visibly flawed vehicle and hope to have it corrected at the local Service Center
2) reject delivery and wait for another (Tesla often just passed the rejected delivery to the next person waiting on the list)
3) wait for "production hell" to end and hope that Tesla fixes the quirks to their production issues.

It also seems that design flaws are exposed as time goes on with any vehicle and it does seems as though Tesla does not thorough test their prototype vehicles as rigorously as legacy manufacturers when it some to endurance testing, varying region climates, and average user tendencies. The result is a less than predictable lifespan of various components, charging/range issues in extreme weather, and prematurely wornout components such as the door handles and seals when folks either slam the door closed or use the glass window instead of using the exterior door panel.

Generally the legacy car manufacturers seem to be better with building vehicles with a more acceptable fit and finish, but they lag behind Tesla in terms of EV technology, data, charging infrastructure, service infrastructure, and cost efficiency. I've had about $10K of warranty work done including a drive unit replacement, HV contactors, TPMS, and pyro fuse...which translated to the car at the service center for a total of 30 days. I would feel more confident in the future of sustainable EVs when the component costs not only drop in price, but show some improvement to the original as well as become readily available in parts inventory. It is ridiculous that there are still 12V battery shortages every couple of years.

I don't regret buying our Tesla, but I thought the owner's experience would have been cleaned up at this point years later.

As for recalls, I believe those are trigged by safety issues and not design flaws. Tesla seems to be sensitive to recalls and like most manufacturers opts for TSBs.

I have had 2 Model X Teslas, 2020 and 2023. The 2020 was perfect on delivery and had very little issues. The most prevalent was the half-shaft issue that caused thumping on acceleration and front door seal issues (falling off) allwell documented issues with Tesla. I had the car in the shop 3-4 times for the half-shaft before it was corrected. I traded the car in at 49,000 miles in great shape. In Sept. 2023, I bought a new 2023 Model X. On delivery I noticed the front door seal falling off (never fixed a known issue from 2020), scratches on the windshield (near the driver side pillar), and a very slight 'clash' of the passenger door and falcon wing door. Luckily on delivery I documented each. When the windshield cracked 18" from the reported scratches Tesla picked up the tab, the other items fixed as well. To answer your question on improvements in build quality, I would same from 3-4 years ago.