Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is NEMA 14-50 AND Tesla Wall Connector a good idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone install Tesla Wall Connector AND NEMA 14-50 (or 6-50) outlet? Seems that this would either require 100A total dedicated current from breaker box OR somehow add a NEMA plug to the Tesla Wall Connector so that we have to go through the NEMA plug regardless. My electrician was saying this is what some people do but maybe there was a misunderstanding?

Is it relatively easy to convert TWC to NEMA 14-50 and vice-versa ? Seems like it is from what I've read.

Thank you!

Tesla Wall Connector with Tesla plug is much better than a J1772 with Tesla adapter. You can put a J1772 adapter on the Tesla plug so you are still future proof.

I'm speaking out of experience because I used to have a J1772 (what a hideous standard, btw excuse my French) for my LEAF and FFE. Those times that I had to park my Tesla in that bay I didn't even bother charing it, because it was a major hassle.
  • First off, on the J1772 handle there is a piece of junk that's supposed to resemble a button, but it doesn't open the charge port.
  • Secondly, the J1772+Tesla adapter combination protrudes too far from the car and blocks your walkway around the car as well as looking fragile/begging to be broken off.
  • Thirdly, when unplugging, the adapter, car and plug don't separate in a convenient way, its just a wrestling match.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tesla Wall Connector with Tesla plug is much better than a J1772 with Tesla adapter. You can put a J1772 adapter on the Tesla plug so you are still future proof.

I'm speaking out of experience because I used to have a J1772 (what a hideous standard, btw excuse my French) for my LEAF and FFE. Those times that I had to park my Tesla in that bay I didn't even bother charing it, because it was a major hassle.
  • First off, on the J1772 handle there is a piece of junk that's supposed to resemble a button, but it doesn't open the charge port.
  • Secondly, the J1772+Tesla adapter combination protrudes too far from the car and blocks your walkway around the car as well as looking fragile/begging to be broken off.
  • Thirdly, when unplugging, the adapter, car and plug don't separate in a convenient way, its just a wrestling match.
I have been using the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter for 2+ years with no issues.
  • It it true. The release trigger on the J1772 charging connector will not open the charge port on the Tesla vehicle. The EVSE is not a Tesla product so why should the release button do anything except release the J1772 connector.
  • The Tesla J1772 adapter with J1772 connector does stick out further from the vehicle but the adapter is well made, no indication it would be damaged if bumped.
  • If you don't follow these steps you will struggle when removing the Tesla J1772 adapter from the Tesla vehicle's charge port. When charging has been completed:
    • Step1: Press and release the trigger on the J1772 charging connector.
    • Step 2: Immediately pull the J1772 charging connector with the Tesla J1772 adapter still attached from the charging port. The Tesla adapter will remain attached to the J1772 charging connector as you pull on the J1772 charging connector. (Note: Do not continue to hold the trigger on the J1772 charging connector as you pull the J1772 connector as this will release the J1772 charging connector leaving the Tesla adapter in the charge port. After a few seconds the Tesla charge port cover will attempt to close, trapping the Tesla J1772 adapter. If this happens, don't panic. The charge port cover mechanism will not be damaged. To remove the Tesla adapter you will need to open the charge port using the Tesla app or from inside the Tesla vehicle from the Tesla screen. Once the charge port opens you can remove the Tesla J1772 adapter from the charge port.)
    • Step3: Press and hold the trigger on the J1772 charging connector while pulling the Tesla J1772 adapter with your other hand, the Tesla J1772 adapter will separate from the J1772 charging connector.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • If you don't follow these steps you will struggle when removing the Tesla J1772 adapter from the Tesla vehicle's charge port. When charging has been completed:
    • Step 2: Immediately pull the J1772 charging connector with the Tesla J1772 adapter still attached from the charging port. The Tesla adapter will remain attached to the J1772 charging connector as you pull on the J1772 charging connector. (Note: Do not continue to hold the trigger on the J1772 charging connector as you pull the J1772 connector as this will release the J1772 charging connector leaving the Tesla adapter in the charge port. After a few seconds the Tesla charge port cover will attempt to close, trapping the Tesla J1772 adapter. If this happens, don't panic. The charge port cover mechanism will not be damaged. To remove the Tesla adapter you will need to open the charge port using the Tesla app or from inside the Tesla vehicle from the Tesla screen. Once the charge port opens you can remove the Tesla J1772 adapter from the charge port.)
    • Step3: Press and hold the trigger on the J1772 charging connector while pulling the Tesla J1772 adapter with your other hand, the Tesla J1772 adapter will separate from the J1772 charging connector.
Of course, to each their own. But even if I had achieved mastery of those steps (I never did in the five years I had J1772) I would prefer to just press that one button on the Tesla handle.

Upvote 0
I have been using the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter for 2+ years with no issues.
  • It it true. The release trigger on the J1772 charging connector will not open the charge port on the Tesla vehicle. The EVSE is not a Tesla product so why should the release button do anything except release the J1772 connector.
  • The Tesla J1772 adapter with J1772 connector does stick out further from the vehicle but the adapter is well made, no indication it would be damaged if bumped.
LOL where did those instructions come from? That's literally different than what Tesla says in their instruction videos (watch from 2:30):
Meet Your Model S

You're supposed to press the trigger to get the mechanism to release and then pull the adapter and charging handle out with both hands, one on each device, according to the videos Tesla puts out.

Upvote 0
And it arguably takes longer to install a 2 gang box, install an outlet in the box, put a faceplate over the box, put a cord and plug on the WC, and mount the WC to the wall separately, than it would have to just hardwire the WC and remove it when you're done with it. So it's also extra work with negative benefits (inability to charge at 48A). And to add to that, the wire terminations are in the wrong place so to hardwire a EVSE in the future, those wires would have to be extended first.
My EVSE was actually designed with a ‘pigtail’ so I couldn’t mount it over the wires regardless and had to run the pigtail to a separate junction box. It’s still easier and cheaper to have a junction box than an outlet. The main problem is connecting 6g wires isn‘t trivial like connecting 12g wires is. You can find wire nuts rated for 6g wire but I don’t necessarily trust that for an EV charger. The better option is lugs, if you can find a junction box with them, a split bolt connector or a Polaris connector.

Upvote 0
LOL where did those instructions come from? That's literally different than what Tesla says in their instruction videos (watch from 2:30):
Meet Your Model S

You're supposed to press the trigger to get the mechanism to release and then pull the adapter and charging handle out with both hands, one on each device, according to the videos Tesla puts out.
Regular, routine use of the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter and Chargepoint public L2 charging equipment. I started out using the two hand method but found that I could remove the charging adapter easier and with one hand if I released the trigger after the connector unlocked.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Upvote 0
Regular, routine use of the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter and Chargepoint public L2 charging equipment. I started out using the two hand method but found that I could remove the charging adapter easier and with one hand if I released the trigger after the connector unlocked.
Ditto here - We have a non-tesla (clipper creek) wall connector as part of our utility’s off-peak charging program so I’ve been using it essentially since we got our car. True, it’s nice to have the tesla handle with the button, but it’s nicer to get my electricity for half off.

Momentarily pressing the trigger signals the car that the charger has been disconnected, prompting it to disengage the lock holding the J1772 adapter in the port. If you release the trigger before pulling, the catch on the handle engages on the adapter and both come out quickly, smoothly and easily.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
Meet Your Model S

How often do you enter your car with both hands completely empty and freely available for some senseless fight with a stooopid J1772 crap thing?

@jcanoe's directions are correct, you have to circumvent the stupidness of the dumb-ass J1772 idiocy by pressing and then releasing the moronic button so that you can remove the whole shebang without spilling your coffee. And yes, this is more annoying than simply using a proper Tesla charger which works properly and perfectly and is well designed.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and Olle
Upvote 0
How often do you enter your car with both hands completely empty and freely available for some senseless fight with a stooopid J1772 crap thing?

How often do I have two hands free when I disconnect a charging handle ? Always. This is probably because I don't mix shopping and charging, and I don't walk around with a cup of whatever in a hand. But even if I did come back from shopping, I would put the groceries/boxes away first, disconnect second, and drive third.

My home has a J1772 EVSE. I don't find it to be an annoyance.

Upvote 0
I suggest you do not worry about “future proofing.” Installing a Wall Connector is cheaper than installing a 14-50. On a 60-amp circuit you will charge at 48-amps while the 14-50 with a mobile connector is limited to 32-amps. The cable is longer, 24’ versus 20’, and it has built in load sharing in case you add another connector later.

Once the wire has been run it is very easy to change from a Tesla connector to something else, or even to an outlet.
Does anyone install Tesla Wall Connector AND NEMA 14-50 (or 6-50) outlet? Seems that this would either require 100A total dedicated current from breaker box OR somehow add a NEMA plug to the Tesla Wall Connector so that we have to go through the NEMA plug regardless. My electrician was saying this is what some people do but maybe there was a misunderstanding?

Is it relatively easy to convert TWC to NEMA 14-50 and vice-versa ? Seems like it is from what I've read.

Thank you!
We went with the 14-50 on a 50A circuit and are charging at 32A which gives us 31 mph. Now that the wire is run, it's very easy to just switch out the circuit for a 60A, take off the 14-50 outlet, and wire up the TWC which will charge at 48A giving you up to 44 mph.

Thinking about how much we drive on a normal day (about 50'ish miles), we can get that back in 2 hours. If it's a weekend we might go 150 miles, which we can get back in 5 hours. We're gonna plug in as soon as we get home most likely, but at minimum before we go to bed. If we're doing a road trip, we'll charge up to 100 overnight and then use superchargers on the route. There's just no urgency for us to get that extra 13 mph. Not worth the extra $200 IMHO, unless you're lucky enough to have 2 Tesla's and can charge them both from that one TWC.

Upvote 0
Wow. People are so angrily arguing that the Tesla plug is more convenient to use on a Tesla. Well no kidding. That's not a news flash. You are arguing against no one. There is no one here trying to say that using J1772 with an adapter on a Tesla is MORE convenient. That is obviously not the case. But the point is that there are sometimes relevant, valid, important reasons why someone would need to or choose to have a J1772 station instead. That might be because of other EVs they own, charging relatives' cars at their place, existing station they already had, big discount program from a utility, or whatever. So the point people are making is that it's not a big deal and isn't the disaster you all are making it out to be and isn't a reason for changing to give up the benefits or flexibility they need to have.

Upvote 0
I don't know why Tesla doesn't use those instructions in their videos. This is way easier than the two handed method that they tell you to use.
Because it doesn't always work on all cars. I've been over this in the forum a few times. With some of the cars, if you release that latch button to where it grabs onto the adapter again, there is a DELAY before the car's port will lock onto the adapter again. THAT is what you all are counting on with this method that looks so easy. You could release the latch button and then pull. But for some cars (including mine) that won't work. On some generations, I think mostly older cars, there is no delay at all. On those cars, if you release that latch button, the car's port instantly locks onto the adapter again, and you can't pull it out. You do have to hold the button to keep the car's port unlocked, so you can then grab the adapter to pull them both out together while still holding the button.

So the reason they have those instructions is that it is one method that always works for all cars.

Upvote 0
Because it doesn't always work on all cars. I've been over this in the forum a few times. With some of the cars, if you release that latch button to where it grabs onto the adapter again, there is a DELAY before the car's port will lock onto the adapter again. THAT is what you all are counting on with this method that looks so easy. You could release the latch button and then pull. But for some cars (including mine) that won't work. On some generations, I think mostly older cars, there is no delay at all. On those cars, if you release that latch button, the car's port instantly locks onto the adapter again, and you can't pull it out. You do have to hold the button to keep the car's port unlocked, so you can then grab the adapter to pull them both out together while still holding the button.

So the reason they have those instructions is that it is one method that always works for all cars.
I'll have to try that method on mine. I have no idea if it will work or not. But note that Tesla could change the delay with every software update, like they changed the delay on closing the charge port from about 3-5 seconds down to 0 seconds, and took 2 months to fix the problem.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Upvote 0
Well I plug my model y into a 14-50 plug every day using the mobile connector supplied by Tesla and the 14-50 adapter and it draws a max of 32A. If you can tell me how to get more charging power out of that setup I would be forever in your debt.
You would have to either buy a Gen1 mobile connector, or get a J1772 EVSE capable of 40a charging from a third party.

You could also buy a wall connector and put a 14-50 pigtail on it, but many members frown on that because Tesla does not list that as an install option.

Upvote 0
I don't know why Tesla doesn't use those instructions in their videos. This is way easier than the two handed method that they tell you to use.
Some people seem to have trouble with the timing, and get frustrated. I always tell people to use the two-hand method, and offer the one-hand method as an alternative they can try. Personally, I always one-hand it.

Upvote 0
You would have to either buy a Gen1 mobile connector, or get a J1772 EVSE capable of 40a charging from a third party.

You could also buy a wall connector and put a 14-50 pigtail on it, but many members frown on that because Tesla does not list that as an install option.

Upvote 0