Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it true the Model S has no tow hook?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The December edition of the North American Owner's Manual now has tow hook instructions:
Capture.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

Any idea what use is made of those keyholes in the horizontal cross bar (see photo above)?

MS is easily dragged from the front lower A arms where there is room for a hook to fit in the forged aluminum arms. NOT like the drawing "1" in the owner's manual (seen below). Here a 30hp diesel tractor does the deed. On pavement esp you could make it easier by using a couple McDonald's restaurant trays placed under each rear tire. :wink:

From the rear the best attachment point would be the wheel spokes @ 6pm using nylon webbing straps fed thru the rim so only nylon is near the car or rim. The only stress is between tire and road so use the trays if you've got them. This example assumes 'dead car' where you can't release the parking brake. If car turns ON then you just have to select TOW MODE and it will roll easily.
--

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I found the towing eye in the UMC packet. LOL I had no idea what that was.

To confirm, new S70D came with revised UMC black mesh carry bag with 2 zippered compartments. Smaller compartment had the tow hook nicely secured inside. Was told that it was difficult to pull out the new frunk liner to stow the tow hook there. But, since we do not travel anywhere local with the UMC in the car, I took the tow hook out and placed it into a separate bag in the frunk.

MS is easily dragged from the front lower A arms where there is room for a hook to fit in the forged aluminum arms. NOT like the drawing "1" in the owner's manual (seen below). Here a 30hp diesel tractor does the deed. On pavement esp you could make it easier by using a couple McDonald's restaurant trays placed under each rear tire. :wink:

From the rear the best attachment point would be the wheel spokes @ 6pm using nylon webbing straps fed thru the rim so only nylon is near the car or rim. The only stress is between tire and road so use the trays if you've got them. This example assumes 'dead car' where you can't release the parking brake. If car turns ON then you just have to select TOW MODE and it will roll easily.
--

This is very useful.

TOW HOOK - This is the hook attached to the chain/winch/rollback/tow_truck.

TOW EYE - This is the accessory that Tesla provided (or did not provide) with your Tesla vehicle. NOT intended to pull vehicle with LOCKED wheels!

Parking Brake (electric) - Release this by shifting into N and, if wheels still won't turn, enabling TOW MODE in menus.

If you can't release this brake you will have LOCKED wheels on each driving axle necessitating dragging the tires on the pavement/gravel/ice and rollback deck. Dragging can apply damaging forces to the vehicle's frame and suspension, so judgement will be required. When dragging on dry pavement AWD will double your forces! All the more reason to jumper a good 12 volt battery across the terminals in the nose (or wherever they might be located these days) to attempt to release the brake. There is NO direct physical way to release Brakes as they are sealed units.

With 2 cafeteria trays and 2 yellow straps (@6pm on the other rims) you can safely pull an AWD with locked axles out of a ditch or garage. Just as an example.
--

Mine has the recess for the eyelet but it's not there. Got mine 11/2/13

Earlier cars like mine (Feb 2103 build) do not have provisions for a tow hook. Mine also does not have the recess in the panel under the frunk carpet for it either. I have heard that some non-tow hook cars were sent out with the newer panel with the recess in anticipation of newer cars coming with the provision for the hook. Your car might have been built right when they were changing the design over.

Earlier cars like mine (Feb 2103 build) do not have provisions for a tow hook. Mine also does not have the recess in the panel under the frunk carpet for it either. I have heard that some non-tow hook cars were sent out with the newer panel with the recess in anticipation of newer cars coming with the provision for the hook. Your car might have been built right when they were changing the design over.
They may have also simply forgotten to put it in there.

My 11/23/13 delivery was missing the tow hook, despite having both the storage location for it in the frunk and also having the threaded connection for it in the bumper. The SC got one for me in case I ever needed it.

I think some got overlooked in the changeover. Anyone with a late 2013 should probably verify you actually have the hook.

My 11/23/13 delivery was missing the tow hook, despite having both the storage location for it in the frunk and also having the threaded connection for it in the bumper. The SC got one for me in case I ever needed it.

Worth noting that right around the transition, there were some inconsistencies. I know of at least one who got his car with no tow hook threaded connector but he did have the spot for it under the frunk carpet. Even with my car, I got the chrome trunk lip inserts but just plain plastic in the frunk. Early cars were all chrome, then they moved to plastic and the chrome inserts were an extra cost option.As they evolve the car, sometimes they end up using parts for earlier or later versions where it is not mission critical.

Worth noting that right around the transition, there were some inconsistencies. I know of at least one who got his car with no tow hook threaded connector but he did have the spot for it under the frunk carpet. Even with my car, I got the chrome trunk lip inserts but just plain plastic in the frunk. Early cars were all chrome, then they moved to plastic and the chrome inserts were an extra cost option.As they evolve the car, sometimes they end up using parts for earlier or later versions where it is not mission critical.

My 2013 S85 has no hook or threaded connector but does have a spot under the frunk mat....and I have the chrome frunk lip insert.