Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Is it possible for an EV to ICE a charging station?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a rhetroical qustion. I saw two PHEVs (a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4Xe and a Toyota something) taking up two EV charging spots this morning. Neithet were plugged in but were taking up the spots. Only four chargers at that location. That's no different from a non-EV occupying a charging spot.
20230724_092557.jpg

Just a reminder: As a courtesy to other EV drivers (BEV and PHEV), don't be this Jeep or Toyota driver.
20230724_074831.jpg

Last edited:
Where are the connectors? Is that your Model Y in the second picture that's in a charging spot but also not plugged in?

The parking garage where I work has two charging stations. One has been broken for the past 3 months, so when I go in I park in that spot but don't charge. This also frees up a spot elsewhere in the garage for someone else to use.

Where are the connectors? Is that your Model Y in the second picture that's in a charging spot but also not plugged in?

The parking garage where I work has two charging stations. One has been broken for the past 3 months, so when I go in I park in that spot but don't charge. This also frees up a spot elsewhere in the garage for someone else to use.
Yep - my Model Y in the second photo. I took the photo just after unplugging mine as I was getting ready to leave. I should have taken the photo before unplugging :(. All four chargers work at this hospital.

I'm not trying to be a scold - just a message about charging ettiquette.

We defintely need a new term for this sort of behavior. Plus, it should convey more negativity because when an ICE driver blocks a charger sometimes it's because of stupidity and not maliciousness. When a plug in car owner blocks, then they know what they are doing and just being a-holes. But definitely "ICEing" doesn't cover it since it's not an ICE car and the term should clearly convey more of their "F-you" attitude.

Reactions: Dantley
But that's only if they are driving an ICE. If an EV car/driver blocks a charging stand then there should be another term for it.
Ah. Thought it was about a PHEV; still has an ICE.

An EV owner blocking other EV owners is just a straight up inconsiderate a**hole in my book. 😁 They should know better since they own an EV as well. There may be a special case scenario when it may be socially acceptable, but I’d imagine that would be very rare.

Last edited:
I group both BEV and PHEV drivers as EV drivers. Both (can) run on batteries and while plug-in hybrids have an ICE in them, they do need a sip of electrons from time to time. And you're right: all EV drivers should know better than to block a charging station, either by taking up the parking spot and not plugging in (as by OP's example) or by not moving their vehicle in a timely manner after their charge has finished.

I think that I will adopt "chargehole" as my term of endearment....

Reactions: Chisale
I group both BEV and PHEV drivers as EV drivers. Both (can) run on batteries and while plug-in hybrids have an ICE in them, they do need a sip of electrons from time to time. And you're right: all EV drivers should know better than to block a charging station, either by taking up the parking spot and not plugging in (as by OP's example) or by not moving their vehicle in a timely manner after their charge has finished.

I think that I will adopt "chargehole" as my term of endearment....
Chargehole it is 😎