Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Is it normal to hear banging while supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to a supercharger for the first time and I heard 2-3 bangs coming from the undercarriage and felt like it was under my drivers side. I only added 20% to get me home so those bangs were in between then. Is this something I should bring it in for or is this part of supercharging? I did precondition but was only 8 minutes from the SC so maybe that was the problem? (2018 M3 LR)

Solution
temperature differences, dilation, and battery vents. As others say, normal and happens more in cold weather since there's a bigger temperature change in the battery.
Yeah I really would of rathered it just stay lol. Do you ever feel you seats getting hot even when they are off? Cause it keeps happening to me

Probably I have, but it was most likely residual heat from when they were on, or a warm cabin PLUS a psychological factor of "is it on?" Unlikely the actual seat heater is making heat without the icon displaying it.

Upvote 0
Really?! How long ago did you do it? Was it under warranty and that's why it was free? Cause mines not under warranty anymore but I'm super interested
Since I've had my M3P for over five years now, I'm guessing that it probably was still under warranty. It was a relatively quick fix though (I just waited for it to be completed at the Service Center), and the noise is related to what we call in the aerospace industry as "oil canning" of the battery case as it heats up. Not a problem, but could be rather alarming to car occupants while Supercharging.

Upvote 0