Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a louder acceleration roar the same as the "shudder"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Folks,

Being relatively new to this world, please excuse this naive question.

I've a late 2019 MXLR with 3K miles on it. I've been feeling that lately the car is making a louder noise under heavy acceleration, one that doesn't occur under mild throttle. It sounds more like the roar I'd expect from a (very quiet) ICE. It disappears when I let up on the accelerator.

(No, I don't floor it at every stoplight nor drag-race with ICEs, but sometimes one does need the boost, like when passing on a two-lane highway or needing the change lanes beyond a stoplight.)

Is this the infamous shudder or something else?

Is it something I should worry about immediately, or can I let it wait until life settles down here in the sheltering SF Bay Area? I'm in no rush if it doesn't need to be rushed.

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

My shudder before changing out the half shafts felt like a bad u-joint on my drive shaft in my 57 Chevy in high school. that was fixed with changing the half shafts but now in standard height I get a rumble under heavy acceleration ( sounds like a bad wheel bearing it that same 57 Chevy). the noise disappears in a Low or very low stance. Damn with that 57 and a girl friend in high school I never had pocket money:)