Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Door Handles Peeling.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old thread - but this is one of the first things I noticed in the 2013 I just bought. Guess this was left without a solution.

With it being an area no one will really ever see, it feels like maybe I could wetsand the coating off with very fine auto sandpaper in all 4 doors and leave it at that. Unsure if this is something I could really warranty on a CPO.

As the above poster mentioned, I have seen similar issues in BMWs as well - not limited to Tesla.

I don't often make a door handle. But when I do... I cover black plastic with a useless thin layer of a separate type of black plastic. For... reasons.
this is pretty standard on most higher end trim, my last two BMW's had this happen at about 10 years the alternative is scratched hard plastic that looks like a cheap toyota. Of course this occurrence seems a bit premature, but its all about wear not time. I peeled mine of (lots of work) for a more uniform appearance and lived with the scratches. there are some DIY coating ideas on any of the BMW sites that can replace it

This happens all the time in VW group cars. All the Audis, VWs and Skodas have this soft touch plastic on the door handles and dash switches/audio system which after a while starts to wear and peel. It's most noticeable on the volume knob of the audio system and the door grab handles.

It's not just cars though. This happened to my dad's Pure One Flow wireless internet radio. The whole thing was this soft touch plastic rubber stuff and it peeled to reveal the cheaper looking ABS underneath. Likewise my Skullcandy Double Agent headphones also had this problem, with the orange soft-touch plastic turning sticky and peeling off.

I think there is an inherent design flaw in the longevity of this soft-touch material that seems to be used so much on so-called premium products.