Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in Ye Ole Massachusetts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, MA insurance rates have a multiplier depending on the risk rating of each town (or neighborhood, in Boston). You can get an idea of how this works using this nifty calculator spreadsheet from the MA Office of Consumer Affairs: http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/doi/autoratecompare/ma-autoinsexamplepremiums.xls

Very interesting. My town, spit out very similar premiums to what I have now, but my cars are many years newer. I wish they gave you more options for cars and coverages but this link will be helpful if I have to shop around, thank you!

I have coverage with Travelers, and was paying about $1500 on the Tesla vs. $990 on our 10 year old Odyssey, with $500 collision and $300 comprehensive deductibles and very high liability coverages. When our 18 yr old son became a secondary driver on both cars, the Tesla doubled and Odyssey went up by $150 or so, but I can't take him off the Tesla as there have been a few occasions when he needed to drive it (and still much cheaper than the few months before I sold my 2011 A4 and he had to be listed as its primary driver!). He's now in school but within 50 miles so no break.

My initial minor collision by a driver who couldn't stop in snow on the second day I had the car cost $4000 to replace a door and repaint - the other driver's insurance covered the deductible. May be time to reassess my deductibles, etc.

Okay. So my pickup is scheduled for April. Woohoo!

I'm now getting prices of $1800 to $2300 per year. It would appear the the insurance costs have gone up for the 2014 Model S.
Do shop around -- there's a huge variance among insurers' premiums. Having said that, I'm not surprised about a premium increase: as insurers learn how nose-bleed high the repair costs on a Model S are, we're going to see that in rates.

I've been enquiring about adding a cultural exchange student age 19 to my policy starting this summer - its going to be pricey - my insurance costs will double. Progressive seemed to imply that I couldn't assign a particular vehicle to the 19 yr old in MA (obviously I intend having them drive the beat up Subaru, not the Tesla!) and the pricing has to assume they have access to all vehicles. I'm just curious if those of you adding teenagers to your policy have been told the same?
I can bring costs down if I get her to the RMV to get a MA license as soon as she gets here............but its still frustrating I can't exclude the Tesla (keys will be locked up regardless!)

Progressive seemed to imply that I couldn't assign a particular vehicle to the 19 yr old in MA
Hmm...we just added our 16 year old to our policy but he got his own car. The "good student" and "driver training" discounts apply only to his vehicle. The other premiums didn't change at all. That said, his 2007 Jeep Wrangler costs more to insure than the Model S by about 50% (!!!). Thats through Liberty Mutual if it matters.