Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in DC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking delivery in a couple weeks and was wondering if there are any DC residents here. I'm guessing there would be a large spread of premiums due to varying levels of familiarity with the car, much as with loan companies. Which is a good Tesla insurer in this region? Is there an insurance equivalent of Alliant, a knowledgeable company that MS owners gravitate toward? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
As I recall, there are a number of threads about insurance. USAA has been identified as a good choice by many but you must be eligible to join USAA. I'd search for the other threads to see what others have recommended. Personally, I have USAA and am happy with them. I'm in Northern Virginia just a few miles outside of DC.

As I recall, there are a number of threads about insurance. USAA has been identified as a good choice by many but you must be eligible to join USAA. I'd search for the other threads to see what others have recommended. Personally, I have USAA and am happy with them. I'm in Northern Virginia just a few miles outside of DC.

Just about anyone qualifies for USAA. If you have been or ANY relative has been in the service you qualify. I have them and they are GREAT !!

+1 for USAA, at least in Northern Virginia. My insurance premium went up by only $20/month for a P85 vs 2004 Mazda 6 wagon. I also priced out a Lexus IS350, which would have been $10/month more than the Mazda. But as I'm sure you know, rates can be all over the place, based on coverage selected, specific location, driving record, other coverage with the same insurer, etc.

USAA has a pretty robust quote tool online, and it should recognize your specific car by VIN even though you haven't picked it up yet.

Just about anyone qualifies for USAA. If you have been or ANY relative has been in the service you qualify. I have them and they are GREAT !!

But very expensive. Not competitive in my experience. They flat out told me "we are not competitive for expensive cars or homes because the majority of our members don't fit that model"

Last edited: