Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Before Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla app wants proof of insurance before picking up the vehicle from what I can tell, but when I called my insurance company, they said I must have the car registered to insure it, which they said I can't do until I have the car and have signed the paperwork that day. I'm not sure if this is just an old way of thinking or what. Can anyone provide some insight? I do have a VIN number. Delivery end of Feb/early Mar.

When I lived in MA and now CT, the insurance company was fine insuring a new(/used) car purchase before it was registered.

I think they're confusing the law: A car must be insured to be registered. That does NOT mean it has to be registered to be insured.

In fact, don't you need proof of insurance in order to get it registered?

edit: All I've done to insure a car is call the ins co with the VIN and where it's going to be garaged and they sent me insurance cards.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I submitted my current vehicle‘s insurance info To the Tesla app, it was accepted and I moved on to the other pre delivery steps. the night before delivery day, I switched insurance policy to cover the new Tesla.

I called Tesla and this is what they told me to do, just to upload my current vehicle policy as long as it has the phone numbers and information of my insurance company. They would handle the rest when I pick up the car.

I submitted my current vehicle‘s insurance info To the Tesla app, it was accepted and I moved on to the other pre delivery steps. the night before delivery day, I switched insurance policy to cover the new Tesla.
I did that, but tesla has asked for insurance showing my (new) tesla VIN. this may be due to using carrier direct rather than me taking delivery at a tesla location