Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a NEMA 14-50 plug to HPWC input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a building and installation standpoint, what is important is what's in the NEC. 625.17(A)(3)(a) states that if the GFCI protection for the EVSE is located in the unit itself, the maximum cord length is 12 inches. 625.17(A)(3)(b) grants up to 6 feet only "when the interrupting device of the personnel protection system is located at the attachment plug or within the first 300 mm (12 in.) of the cord". There is no exemption for EVSE's "designed for a power supply cord to be installed by the electrician" - if you have a reference I'd like to look at it.
I don't have a reference. That is why I mentioned, "IF another EVSE is designed for a power supply cord to be installed by the electrician." The word "IF" was there because of the confusion of the 6 foot length being mentioned. There are manufacturers photos on the web of EVSE that appear to have power supply cords that are longer than 12", so I assumed that those devices must have been installed by an electrician. I have removed the language from my original post.

For those who install a custom outlet at the appropriate location for their unique EVSE, the 12" power supply cord works fine. Hardwire installs eliminate my power supply cord wish list below.

IMHO, the use of an existing outlet may require a longer power supply cord depending on the design of the EVSE and the outlet location. Hopefully a future amendment would suggest that the EVSE is mounted within 12" of the outlet for personal safety, allowing a custom length power supply cord with an
over molded plug and the use of a liquid tight non-metallic strain relief at the EVSE. This could help prevent the use of adapters and extension cords that are sold on the web and defeat the purpose of the code requirements.

My personal opinion is that the existing code does not properly address the issue of uncovered 240 volt outlets with a power supply cord attached from above. The EVSE 240 volt outlets with closed covers that allow the cable to exit the bottom of the cover while closed are a good safety feature. That could be a life saver if someone is hosing the garage floor. Such an outlet may require a longer power supply cord to allow proper EVSE installation height without excessive bending of the power supply cord.

Hopefully this thread and FlasherZ's excellent reference work (link: HERE) will encourage EV drivers to contact an electrician experienced with Tesla EVSE installs in their area to provide guidance and installation excellence. A properly installed Tesla Wall Connector gives faster charging and saves time connecting and disconnecting the charge handle.

Last edited:
Here's where the technicality might help you. 625.22 says that EVSE shall have a listed system of protection against electric shock of personnel. A GFCI breaker can provide said system, although it's likely that some will interpret 625.22 as requiring the capability integrated with the EVSE. However, the plain reading of 625.17 still wouldn't allow a longer cord, although an inspector might deem the presence of a GFCI breaker as sufficient to address the intent of the code in 625.17 and grant you a longer cord. That's if he cares about cord length at all (and doesn't just consider it an appliance).

The Code actually does address the issue of uncovered receptacles, but maybe I'm not getting your point. 406.9(A) requires that receptacles in outdoor damp areas (under lean-tos, canopies, porches, etc., where not subject to beating rain or water run-off) have a cover when the receptacle is not in use. 406.9(B)(2)(a) requires that non-15/20A receptacles in wet locations get an in-use "weatherproof" cover when the product intended for use is unattended while in use. If the product intended is attended while in use, then 406.9(B)(2)(b) requires that non-15/20A receptacles in wet locations only need a cover when nothing is plugged in. "Weatherproof" is defined as "connected or protected so that exposure to the weather will not interfere with successful operation".

For what it's worth, I'm a supporter of requiring a GFCI breaker (or even receptacle) for the 14-50's used for EV charging, then we don't have to worry about cord length other than for the purposes of physical damage protection. The price of the devices has prevented CMP's from requiring adoption on anything > 15/20A, although that tide is changing -- hot tubs and swimming pools are leading the way in requiring GFI protection.

My comment about uncovered receptacles is also in regard to people tampering with the socket or kids sticking things into the unused holes it the EVSE is not present. Leviton and Eaton design and sell prewired kits for their EVSE. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=EVK05-M&section=37737&minisite=10251

The moisture issue would only be a concern if a garage outlet was mounted too low where an occasional washing of the garage floor may occur (or if the garage door was left open while washing the car in the driveway).

Tesla drivers are fortunate that Tesla Motors provides the best portable EVSE for their customers. The extra depth of the snap-on adapter keeps fingers further from the blades of the plug than other portable EVSE devices. The size and quality makes it easy to use an RV outlet or wall outlet while away from home or Superchargers.

Some plug-in EVSE are only designed for wall mounting and due to the expense, might be used in an unsafe manner during travel. One can only imagine the adapters and placement of the EVSE at RV locations or when connected to dryer outlets and other 240 volt sources. https://www.evseadapters.com/evse

FWIW,
The reality is the EVSE UL 2594 Standard (2013) and the NEC 2014 are not in agreement, i.e. terminology and supply connection requirements.

The EVSE standard is 156 concisely written pages and the NEC code-making panel has attempted to summarize the equipment configuration and installation requirements into to 4 pages.

Therefore, a manufacture could produce an NRTL certified/listed EVSE “Charging Station” and/or “EV Cord Set” and the product supply connection configuration and listing instructions may not comply with the rule limitations in 625 or at least cause confusion with the conflicting rules.

UL2594 link to below:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...e-name/page2?p=1248908&viewfull=1#post1248908
UL2592-12.2 “Cord connected devices”
UL2594-12.2.1.2(a) & (b) interrupting device location. reference to 9.2.3.

UL2594-9.2.3(a)(1) cord length 12". This rule is for “Portable EV Cord Set” and “Movable Charging Station”.
UL2594-9.2.3(a)(2) cord length 6’. This rule is for the “Stationary EV Cord Set”.

NEC Article 690 for PV panels also had conflicting rules between itself and the standards for a number of code cycles.

Last edited:
The rub may be a Tesla wall connector modified with a plug is not grounded when unplugged from a wall outlet. Tesla may have risk on occasions where this modified wall connector isn’t plugged into the wall (not grounded)and but is plugged into a charged car. Perhaps adding a second ground wire that is permently grounded ?