Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car said we had 16 miles left and we weren't driving 75mph for the previous 15 miles before the battery failed.

We are just trying to get details on what actually happened.

It sounds like you are saying that you were accelerating when the car shutdown, is that right?

You keep saying "but the car said we had 16 miles" when you know that that is an estimate and not entirely accurate. Your usage shows that that 16 miles should have lasted about 12 miles. (Based on 22% higher usage than is used for the rated range remaining.)

There in reveals the problem that Tesla is very vague in the Warranty in regards to degradation for the Model S and Model X unlike what they have written for the model 3.

They aren't vague at all. They explicitly say it is not covered period. For the Model 3 they decided to cover degradation but only with 30%, or more, degradation. (And not unlimited mileage only to 100k/120k miles.) So if the S&X warranty was the same as the Model 3 you still wouldn't qualify for a warranty replacement on two fronts. (Since you are only at about 21% degradation and past the 120k mile limit.)

Last edited:
pic 1.jpg
pic 2.jpg

It sounds like you are saying that you were accelerating when the car shutdown, is that right?

You keep saying "but the car said we had 16 miles" when you know that that is an estimate and not entirely accurate. Your usage shows that that 16 miles should have lasted about 12 miles. (Based on 22% higher usage than is used for the rated range remaining.)

They aren't vague at all. They explicitly say it is not covered period. For the Model 3 they decided to cover degradation but only with 30%, or more, degradation. So if the S&X warranty was the same as the Model 3 you still wouldn't qualify for a warranty replacement. (Since you are only at about 21% degradation.)

They aren't vague at all. They explicitly say it is not covered period. For the Model 3 they decided to cover degradation but only with 30%, or more, degradation. So if the S&X warranty was the same as the Model 3 you still wouldn't qualify for a warranty replacement. (Since you are only at about 21% degradation.)
Then why have others received a new battery with 21% or less and they have already told me they aren't going to cover the battery. Therefore they can just tell you what they want and you are exactly right(they don't cover degradation for the Model S or X) but will for the Model 3 when you pay about twice as much for the S or X. Thank you for allowing me to show others about how unfair this is. I am sure you would feel differently if it happened to you.

@HMARTINPT,

The fact that you drove 139 miles and the battery died with 16 miles left is much less important than the fact that you are getting 209 miles rated range at 100% in an S85. You should talk about the 209 miles rated range at 100% and show screenshots of that and skip the other details.

209 miles at 100% is unusual. However, achieving less than rated range in an S85 is very common and is the default. The car shutting down before range drops to zero is also common. See Bjorn's tweet here. Those are unimportant side topics that distract from the main issue. Consumption related details are not important here. The important thing is your rated range at 100%.

If you present the issue as "my car consumes too much energy", you will get irrelevant responses like "drive slower". That's not the issue. Your issue is heavy battery degradation. The discussion should be about whether there is a hardware issue or whether this is normal degradation.

The service center could run diagnostics on the battery or you could use a software to find out more. In addition, you could comment on the amount of time the battery spent close to 100% or 0%. Is it possible that you were setting it regularly to charge to 100% overnight? Or is possible that you were leaving the car with close to 0% range overnight regularly because it was more cost effective to Supercharge the next day?

Btw, I don't know why you quoted me in message #81.

Last edited:
While they were looking at your battery issue did you have them replace the screen on your MCU? (Since it looks like it is leaking goo into your car while leaving the bubble around the screen.)

It will cost extra because the warranty has passed.

In addition, as Tesla said with a yellow border, it's just "cosmetic anomaly which has no impact on performance or reliability of the touchscreen." :)

Reactions: MP3Mike
Then why have others received a new battery with 21% or less and they have already told me they aren't going to cover the battery.

Probably because those had a failure in the battery not related to degradation so it was covered. (I've seen at least one with an internal coolant leak, even if the degradation was 0% they would have still replaced it.)

And some of the initial ones could have been done on a goodwill basis so that Tesla could get their hands on packs that had real world usage to analyze. Like the first Tesloop pack that was replaced not because of degradation, or a hardware failure, but because the software had an issue that Tesla didn't have a patch ready for yet.

While they were looking at your battery issue did you have them replace the screen on your MCU? (Since it looks like it is leaking goo into your car while leaving the bubble around the screen.)
no
It will cost extra because the warranty has passed.

In addition, as Tesla said with a yellow border, it's just "cosmetic anomaly which has no impact on performance or reliability of the touchscreen." :)
NOT ON MY 2012 BECAUSE IT WAS GOING TO COST OVER $1000 DOLLARS BUT THEY DID REPLACE ON THE 2018 ALREADY BECAUSE IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY. THANKS FOR BRINGING UP ANOTHER PROBLEM ON A CAR THAT IS ADVERTISED AS ALMOST MAINTENANCE FREE. I HAVE SPENT OVER $20000 DOLLARS ON THE 2012 SINCE I PURCHASED IN 2013 ON MAINTENANCE, DOOR HANDLES, WHEELS THAT HAVE CRACKED, ETC.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc and Eclectic
...Then why

Guesses:

1) First come first serve: Those who alerted Tesla EARLY about the issue of car shutdown prior to 0 miles on the battery gauge would get the attention and the fix. I guess now after 7 years since the Model S, Tesla doesn't care anymore.

2) Different Tesla workers: Some would care about the issue, some don't. You just have to escalate to executives and switch to other Service Centers.

3) Nickel and Dime: Got to make a profit, reduction in staff, fight tooth and nail when a customer claims "warranty".

Reactions: HMARTINPT
...not because of degradation, or a hardware failure, but because the software...

That's the point. I assume it's battery problem but to Tesla it didn't matter because it's somekind failure that they need to investigate. When the car died before 0 miles on battery gauage, it would investigate and fix the cause: Sometimes it was the battery itself, other times the battery was fine but other issues caused it such as software, 12V battery, Main Battery Contactors...

They aren't vague at all. They explicitly say it is not covered period. For the Model 3 they decided to cover degradation but only with 30%, or more, degradation. (And not unlimited mileage only to 100k/120k miles.) So if the S&X warranty was the same as the Model 3 you still wouldn't qualify for a warranty replacement on two fronts. (Since you are only at about 21% degradation and past the 120k mile limit.)
Problem is that the forum readers have no way of knowing what is going on. Only one side of the disagreement.
Your exactly right. I wish Tesla could interject explain why the car stopped with 16 miles left with the range indicator and only got 139 miles even when including the driving conditions/consumption. It has been over a month and I still haven’t got a straight answer from them.

@HMARTINPT,

The fact that you drove 139 miles and the battery died with 16 miles left is much less important than the fact that you are getting 209 miles rated range at 100% in an S85. You should talk about the 209 miles rated range at 100% and show screenshots of that and skip the other details.

209 miles at 100% is unusual. However, achieving less than rated range in an S85 is very common and is the default. The car shutting down before range drops to zero is also common. See Bjorn's tweet here. Those are unimportant side topics. You are distracting from the main issue with irrelevant details. Consumption related details are not important here. The important thing is your rated range at 100%.

If you present the issue as "my car consumes too much energy", you will get silly responses like "drive slower". However, this is 100% irrelevant. Your issue is heavy battery degradation. The discussion should be about whether there is a hardware issue or whether this is normal degradation.

Btw, I don't know why you quoted me in message #81. I don't see how my message is related to your response there.
Thanks for information. I will give it a shot.

note, I'm not refuting your entire claim put forth in this thread, you may be perfectly right that you have a need for a replacement pack for it shutting down before hitting near 0 miles left but,

I see 50 kWh used on a trip which considering a 90% charge is not terrible vs Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values

New was ~77.5 kWh usable, if you charged to 90% to get 50 kWh usable charging to 100% would give you more like 55 kWh usable. 55/77.5 = ~72.8% SOH (very rough math not accurate but shown for comparison purposes).

Most EVs with capacity based warranties wouldn't be replacing the pack yet based on that capacity loss. Nissan (the most common non Tesla EV being the Leaf) won't replace a pack until it drops below 66.25% SOH. Some companies will do it at 70%, Chevy Bolt waits until 60%.

So for sure look into the premature shut down. Get the pack replaced for free if you can. But don't begrudge the capacity loss in general. In southern Texas you would be losing something like 15% a year in a 2012 Nissan Leaf (you'd have gotten a free battery at year 2 or 3 and have needed another at year 5 most likely out of warranty, and be down a very good chunk on your 3rd pack that would certainly be out of warranty).

Tesla cools the pack better, and I hope they give you better warranty protection, but by the capacity loss alone they don't have to.

Last edited:
Reactions: StealthP3D
New was ~77.5 kWh usable, if you charged to 90% to get 50 kWh usable charging to 100% would give you more like 55 kWh usable. 55/77.5 = ~72.8% SOH (very rough math not accurate but shown for comparison purposes).
OP had mentioned earlier that he charged to 100% for this trip and showed 209 range rated miles

If this is correct then 50.2 kWh of 77.5 usable is over 35% degradation

note, I'm not refuting your entire claim put forth in this thread, you may be perfectly right that you have a need for a replacement pack for it shutting down before hitting near 0 miles left but,

I see 50 kWh used on a trip which considering a 90% charge is not terrible vs Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values

Most EVs with capacity based warranties wouldn't be replacing the pack yet based on that capacity loss. Nissan (the most common non Tesla EV being the Leaf) won't replace a pack until it drops below 66.25% SOH. Some companies will do it at 70%, Chevy Bolt waits until 60%.

So for sure look into the premature shut down. Get the pack replaced for free if you can. But don't begrudge the capacity loss in general. In southern Texas you would be losing something like 15% a year in a 2012 Nissan Leaf (you'd have gotten a free battery at year 2 or 3 and have needed another at year 5 most likely out of warranty, and be down a very good chunk on your 3rd pack that would certainly be out of warranty).

Tesla cools the pack better, and I hope they give you better warranty protection, but by the capacity loss alone they don't have to.
I think we all agree that we can't compare a Nissan Leaf to a Tesla Model S. That is why I was willing to fork out at least 2-3 times the money to get a Tesla and the 8 year infinite mile warranty. If you did compare I guess you could say that I could have bought almost 3 Nissan Leafs during that same period for the same amount of money.
Your calculations are incorrect above since I charged the vehicle to 100% for a trip that we were taking. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Matias and croman
Your exactly right. I wish Tesla could interject explain why the car stopped with 16 miles left with the range indicator and only got 139 miles even when including the driving conditions/consumption. It has been over a month and I still haven’t got a straight answer from them.
The 139 miles is perfectly consistent with all the information on your screen shot and the information you provided. What doesn't make sense is why it died with 16 miles remaining. Did it give you any warning before it died, like slow down, or any kind of indication? You say Tesla hasn't given you a straight answer, so what did they say? Are you still driving the car right now?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Thank you for allowing me to show others about how unfair this is. I am sure you would feel differently if it happened to you.

I think 239,000 miles is pretty darn good for a car with the performance of an S85. Most gas cars would be junk by then, your car still works, it just has some battery degradation and Tesla is very clear that they don't cover that so it's not clear why you are so bent out of shape.

You've got a bunch of free Supercharging over that 239,000 miles, plenty of warranty work for free, it's likely that Tesla is in the hole on that car and you have a 2016 Model X90 and a new 2018 Model S100 so I'm not sure why you're complaining. I've never stuck around with a single car to see if I could get 239,000 out of it, they were not worth the trouble by then.

Since battery degradation is not covered under warranty (at least not on the Models S and X) shouldn't you just count your blessings and move on?