Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indicator half press vs full press

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe there’s another thread (here or elsewhere) where I was schooled on this.

As LORK said, the auto-cancel setting seems to have undermined the standard soft/hard turn signal logic as described in the OM. Almost as if two parts of the Tesla team aren’t talking with each other even on basic functionality; but that would never happen at Tesla.

i agree - i don't remember last time my Y or 3 blinked 3 times.
Its ALWAYS waiting for me to "complete maneuver" - to a point i often intentionally move the steering wheel to force it off

With auto cancel turned on, there is zero difference between half press and full press.
Not entirely true. You have to do a full press to force a lane change when FSD beta is active. I suspect this is also true for Auto Lane Change when standard Autosteer is active (with Enhanced Autopilot or regular FSD) but I haven't tried it. If you only half press in this circumstance, the blinker will be activated while the stalk is held down, but an auto lane change won't be initiated.

Interesting, I paid attention today while driving. Mine absolutely still blinks 3 times on a half press and am on a recent firmware (2023.20.4.1). But I also appear to not even have the auto turn signal feature in my controls, much less the auto turn signal cancel setting. Probably because I am HW 2.5 and also don't even have AP/TACC.

i agree - i don't remember last time my Y or 3 blinked 3 times.
Its ALWAYS waiting for me to "complete maneuver" - to a point i often intentionally move the steering wheel to force it off
Interesting. I just tried turning off auto turn signals and hey presto! It now does three blinks on a light touch. But now I would guess that now the turn signal won't turn off automatically. Have to wait for a test drive.

Reactions: brianbcc
Interesting. I just tried turning off auto turn signals and hey presto! It now does three blinks on a light touch. But now I would guess that now the turn signal won't turn off automatically. Have to wait for a test drive.
Nope auto cancel works perfectly as well. I don't seen the point in turning on "auto turn signals" in controls. It effectively stops the light touch three flash turn signal from working if you turn it on?

Nope auto cancel works perfectly as well. I don't seen the point in turning on "auto turn signals" in controls. It effectively stops the light touch three flash turn signal from working if you turn it on?
The default "dumb" behavior is signal cancels when steering wheel returns to center.

With Auto Cancel, they also cancel once you finish changing lanes (even if there isn't as much steering movement to trigger the centering cancel).

Tesla's 'Auto Cancel' Turn Signals and How They Work