Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indicator half press vs full press

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the difference between pressing down/up the left stalk half or full to trigger the indicator? When I’ve looked online people mention that a half press only triggers the indicators for a few seconds (I’m used to that from other cars) but for me when I do a half press the indicator stays on indefinitely.

Reactions: brianbcc
Yes, half press should give 3 blinks of your indicators. If yours is not doing that you are either pressing it too hard and accidentally doing a full press, or you need to have service look at it.
I think it used to cancel after 3 blinks but it definitely doesn’t anymore. Might be something for service then, thanks.

I also have problems where sometimes pressing the stalk down doesn’t do anything but I’ve seen others complain about that so it might just be a feature.

This is one of those "Read the manual" moments.

The turn signals flash three times or continuously, depending on how far up or down you move the stalk. Lightly push the turn signal stalk up or down for a three-flash sequence. For a continuous signal, push the stalk fully up or down.

The turn signals stop operating when canceled by the steering wheel, by moving the stalk in the opposite direction, or lightly pushing the stalk in the same direction once more.

If Controls > Lights > Automatic Turn Signals is set to Auto Cancel, turn signals cancel automatically when Model 3 detects completion of a maneuver such as a merge, lane change, or a fork in the roadway. If Automatic Turn Signals is set to Off, you must cancel the turn signal manually by using the turn stalk.

Reactions: rpiotro
I believe there’s another thread (here or elsewhere) where I was schooled on this.

As LORK said, the auto-cancel setting seems to have undermined the standard soft/hard turn signal logic as described in the OM. Almost as if two parts of the Tesla team aren’t talking with each other even on basic functionality; but that would never happen at Tesla.

With auto cancel turned on, there is zero difference between half press and full press. The turn signal stays on until the car thinks the lane change, exit, merge, turn is completed based on the cameras. Or until manually cancelled.

With auto cancel turned off, half press will be triple blink and full press will stay on until the wheel is turned enough and returns to center like any other vehicle. Or until manually cancelled.

What is the difference between pressing down/up the left stalk half or full to trigger the indicator? When I’ve looked online people mention that a half press only triggers the indicators for a few seconds (I’m used to that from other cars) but for me when I do a half press the indicator stays on indefinitely.
It's pretty much just like every other car.

A partial press will give you a few flashes, a full press keeps it on until turn is complete.

With auto cancel turned on, there is zero difference between half press and full press. The turn signal stays on until the car thinks the lane change, exit, merge, turn is completed based on the cameras. Or until manually cancelled.

With auto cancel turned off, half press will be triple blink and full press will stay on until the wheel is turned enough and returns to center like any other vehicle. Or until manually cancelled.
Thanks. It seems silly to me that auto cancel affects a half press as well.

Yes but why can’t it still turn off after 3 flashes? The way they’ve done it means functionality has been lost.

I too realized that when I enabled auto cancel, I lost the generic "three blink > off" half press functionality that I've come to expect from any modern car. At first I thought this made no sense. Now, I realize I've lost nothing, I've only gained a convenient feature that works well and has eliminated functionality I no longer need.

I'm not sure what you use the half press for but I only used it when changing lanes. Now, the car determines (pretty freaking well, surprisingly) when I've completed a lane change and turns the blinker off automatically. Can I ask why you need this functionality still if your car is doing this automatically?

Yes but why can’t it still turn off after 3 flashes? The way they’ve done it means functionality has been lost.
Why do you still want the three flashes when it auto cancels after a lane change? With the triple flash I’m only like half way into the lane when it’s done so I don’t mind it flashing a few extra times.

I’m other way around, I don’t like the auto cancel on full press because if I need to make consecutive lane changes I have to deliberately pay extra attention and pause after it cancels and then hit the turn signal again. Otherwise it gets confused if I hit the stalk too early and cancels the signal when I wanted it to stay on and I end up changing lanes with no signal. Holding the stalk down also doesn’t keep the signal on, it still auto cancels.

Why do you still want the three flashes when it auto cancels after a lane change? With the triple flash I’m only like half way into the lane when it’s done so I don’t mind it flashing a few extra times.

I’m other way around, I don’t like the auto cancel on full press because if I need to make consecutive lane changes I have to deliberately pay extra attention and pause after it cancels and then hit the turn signal again. Otherwise it gets confused if I hit the stalk too early and cancels the signal when I wanted it to stay on and I end up changing lanes with no signal. Holding the stalk down also doesn’t keep the signal on, it still auto cancels.

It isn't technically safe to perform a multi-lane change without pausing between each lane shift :) The car is teaching you fundamentals and trying to prevent you from being unsafe. Say whaaaaaaaaat?

Reactions: rpiotro
It isn't technically safe to perform a multi-lane change without pausing between each lane shift :) The car is teaching you fundamentals and trying to prevent you from being unsafe. Say whaaaaaaaaat?
I don’t just cut across multiple lanes. I can pause while keeping the signal on in other cars. This creates another distraction that I have to pay attention to and makes me less safe.

I don’t just cut across multiple lanes. I can pause while keeping the signal on in other cars. This creates another distraction that I have to pay attention to and makes me less safe.

Heh... If your blinker doesn't turn off after you've completed a lane change, the cars behind you have no way of knowing what your intentions are at that point. They will have to guess if you are trying to come over again or if you just failed to turn your blinker off. For this reason, the blinker should turn off after you complete a lane change and you should have to intentionally turn it back on to inform the drivers behind you that you intend to move over again. The pause that should be observed during a multi-lane shift is to setup this exact scenario.

Do I actually do this? No, I barely use my blinker cause I drive like a maniac. I'm just providing insight into why this works the way it does.

• Funny
Reactions: cmy4x4
It's been updated, so 3 blinks for a half press now is full on, until you either switch lanes or turn.

Exactly as I've discovered as well. When auto-cancel is turned on, there's literally no difference between light/full press

I like how it is on auto cancel mode to be honest. In old cars I never thought three blinks was enough - if you start the blinks as early as you really should, the three blinks are pretty well done before you move! So blinking till the manoeuvre is complete, which I find it does pretty reliably, is great.

But I don't really understand why they don't still use the half or full press capability in auto mode?? In my mind even in auto mode a full press could be like a 'manual override' that does the same old school blink until cancelled by wheel angle or manually.