Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In a state of shock!......"this happens often and we are frustrated at the sales team level"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling bad....helps to vent. Asked local dealer to trade in my 2013 Tesla (love it) for a new one (high expectations to also love a new one). Spent much of the day yesterday talking to them about a new demo. Price quote printed up. Trade in quoted then lowered $2500 disappointing but....not too upset about that...they did not like my custom wheels ....oh well. I am still excited! I ask over and over, as they do numerous math gyrations what the "out the door price is". Ok. Got it. They write it down and we happily agree to connect again in the morning (today) I sell off stock to pay cash and this morning's phone call to the dealer is a disaster. "Oops. We won't honor the quote -the out the door price you asked to be re run at least a dozen times and then written down and handed to you". The car is now $15,000 higher. Want it? Wait, what? First I am told "the pricing team" made the mistake (1.yesterday the "pricing team" wherever they are were call numerous times 2. I have all of today's phone conversations recorded - with their permission - it's kind of automatic as I am a Registered Legislative Lobbyist -) Next I am told it is the "Customer Adviser's" mistake (they don't call them sales people) because he did not add things up correctly - dozens of tmes. Stories changing (on record -voice recordings) Surprisingly, the Customer Adviser" tells me it happens OFTEN - it is a bad process and he is frustrated.....AND if I escalate my frustration he hopes I DO! "Maybe things would change on the sales floor" (quote from my recording) Wow. We went over the numbers many many times. And now it is magically $15,000 more........ and "the price of the car is the price of the car this morning" (versus last night and my number written down and handed to me indicating the "out the door cash price for this discounted demo. Flashback to so many cars I bought over the years (I am 67) from the "conventional" car dealers where you are subject to bait and switch, half truths, sometimes intimidation. The Bellevue Washington showroom (not at Bel Square - rather the new service and sales facility in Bellevue, Washington. Anyway, for anyone reading this thanks for helping me "VENT". Anybody out there that can give me Elon's direct email? (no high expectations - just would like him to be aware of THIS situation and the fact (as told to me)....it is happening a lot lately.) With "blame" migrating from department to department. (people are not the problem....processes that start to fall apart) Sigh. So excited down to so frustrated/disappointed. That's life.

Recording a phone conversation with a car dealer is odd. I don't care if you're a registered legislative lobbyist, whatever that is, and not sure why that would make it normal. The rest of the story is incompetence on their part for sure, but at the end of the day it's not a deal until the documents are signed. The weak links in the Tesla machine right now are CPO sales and trade-ins. That's very much a conventional car sales business which Tesla is not good at.

Last edited:
They write it down and we happily agree to connect again in the morning (today) I sell off stock to pay cash and this morning's phone call to the dealer is a disaster
So made the decision to sell stock, based on a verbal agreement over the phone, with Tesla?

I would have gotten the trade in price in writing, and then made the financial arrangements.

Note: Tesla does not have "dealerships". When you talk to Tesla about buying a car you are dealing directly with Tesla, not with a third-part franchise.

I'm sorry, but this reads like "I got a too good to be true price, and wanted to buy before it went away."

I don't understand how the math is so hard (for both Tesla and the buyer). CPO price - trade in price = amount I owe + TTL*

To get a $15k delta, I don't see how you could've not known that you were getting a steal.

*Tax may be on just the CPO price, or the CPO-trade-in price. Depending on state.

I'm sorry, but this reads like "I got a too good to be true price, and wanted to buy before it went away."

I don't understand how the math is so hard (for both Tesla and the buyer). CPO price - trade in price = amount I owe + TTL*

To get a $15k delta, I don't see how you could've not known that you were getting a steal.

*Tax may be on just the CPO price, or the CPO-trade-in price. Depending on state.

This is a pretty harsh statement to make against Mobster (OP). It's quite possible that Tesla had discounted the showroom car in Q4, and the pricing team made a mistake now that it's Q1 (they forgot to remove the discount). I am familiar with other, similar mistakes occurring, and it sounds like Mobster's customer advisor is telling him the same.

Mobster - you really only have two choices. Either pay the additional $15k and perhaps be annoyed forever, or escalate. If you have both the price quote and your trade-in in writing AND you made a deposit on the car, you should escalate to regional management and ask them to honor the price. You made the deposit in good faith, and you want them to do the same. You're a second time Tesla buyer. You should expect to be treated fairly and with respect as long as you do the same.

So made the decision to sell stock, based on a verbal agreement over the phone, with Tesla?

I would have gotten the trade in price in writing, and then made the financial arrangements.

Note: Tesla does not have "dealerships". When you talk to Tesla about buying a car you are dealing directly with Tesla, not with a third-part franchise.
Got it writing as I posted. They said they would not honor it.

Reactions: bonaire

The 15k came out of nowhere. YESTERDAY I was told over and over again the "good price" (it was not THAT good) was because "they were trying hard to get rid of these demos." Ok. I only had them repeat that about a dozen times and write it down. Then the next day....changing stories, changing blame .... we want $15k more. Making deals is simple offer, accept, and I pay cash (not trying to screw anyone by "grabbing before it got away". I bought 5 Corvettes the same way. And all of my wife's new cars. Expected more honor from Tesla. Simple.

• Informative
Reactions: Out4aDuck and Max*
This is a pretty harsh statement to make against Mobster (OP). It's quite possible that Tesla had discounted the showroom car in Q4, and the pricing team made a mistake now that it's Q1 (they forgot to remove the discount). I am familiar with other, similar mistakes occurring, and it sounds like Mobster's customer advisor is telling him the same.
You're right, it might have been a little harsh; I do apologize to the OP.

I still can't wrap my head about how a $15k price mistake went un-noticed until the next morning.

Mobster, can you clarify how exactly they changed the price by $15k overnight? Were the discounts reduced? Was the math just wrong? Was your trade-in further devalued? was it what @andrewket suggested with Q4 vs. Q1 pricing? etc.

Reactions: hiroshiy and Vitold

Mobster - you really only have two choices. Either pay the additional $15k and perhaps be annoyed forever, or escalate. If you have both the price quote and your trade-in in writing AND you made a deposit on the car, you should escalate to regional management and ask them to honor the price. You made the deposit in good faith, and you want them to do the same. You're a second time Tesla buyer. You should expect to be treated fairly and with respect as long as you do the same.

You are right. I will probably escalate. But already been told the district manager is "new" and it will be of no use. I have bought a lot of new cars and it was deja vu to nonsense experienced at all the slick willy "dealerships". I do agree with the way it "should be". I REALLY got the steamroller from the dealer that I was dealing with TESLA - apologize but too bad (the bigger a company gets......the easier it is for them to tell you to go pound sand.

Recording a phone conversation with a car dealer is odd. I don't care if you're a registered legislative lobbyist, whatever that is, and not sure why that would make it normal. The rest of the story is incompetence on their part for sure, but at the end of the day it's not a deal until the documents are signed. The weak links in the Tesla machine right now are CPO sales and trade-ins. That's very much a conventional car sales business which Tesla is not good at.
To explain again I did not target recording the car dealer. I have all calls recorded on the incoming line they used (just part of a larger process used as a Registered Legislative Lobbyist - consumer issues) this morning and I bring it up to point out I needed to get permission to continue and that I would gladly shut it off. They said they agreed to being recorded and frankly I am glad I have the set of recordings that really are amazing to listen to as stories change and the site manager kept wanting to argue (a la normal dealerships) while I asked him to stop and just give me the escalation (his boss and her boss) information. Both people I talked to today (after getting quotes and a written "out the door" price) were all over the map sounding again, like the bell bottom plaid sales teams! "Will you buy ....some other car?" No I won't. But again live and learn.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd

DID get it in writing. They said did not matter.

You are right. I will probably escalate. But already been told the district manager is "new" and it will be of no use. I have bought a lot of new cars and it was deja vu to nonsense experienced at all the slick willy "dealerships". I do agree with the way it "should be". I REALLY got the steamroller from the dealer that I was dealing with TESLA - apologize but too bad (the bigger a company gets......the easier it is for them to tell you to go pound sand.

Please don't see this as a nit pick, because it's the last thing you care about right now, but: tesla doesn't have dealers, and this is a good thing. Tesla has show rooms, sales centers, and service centers. Tesla is actively battling dealers' associations in a few states for the right to sell their cars directly to consumers. When owners incorrectly call them (franchised) dealers it makes things more different for Tesla.

Do you have a deposit on that car? It wasn't clear to me. It matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.