Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improving safety score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw lots of posts for improvement.
One quick question is to improve unsafe following, should I turn on autopilot in the freeway or just drive manually? I know autopilot counts the mileage but not sure it it can help average out the score.
Same for hard braking and aggressive tuning.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
One quick question is to improve unsafe following, should I turn on autopilot in the freeway or just drive manually? I know autopilot counts the mileage but not sure it it can help average out the score.
“Should you turn on AP” depends on the circumstance. For Unsafe Following Distance, AP acts as an amplifier of whatever the day’s score is because it’s adding to that day’s weighted score of driven miles but doesn’t count in following distance calculation. UFD is calculated by the amount of time you spend within that 1-3 second window behind another car, it seems including if someone cuts in between you and a car you’re safely following.

So if you’re behind a vehicle safely (i.e. - between 1-3 seconds behind them) and no one in the right or left lane looks like they’d cut you off, it might be good to drive manually so you rack up good following distance time.

But the moment you feel like that distance will be cut to under a second either because they’re braking hard/too fast for you to slow down gently and stay over 1 second behind, or because someone in an adjacent lane looks like they could cut in between you and the car you’re following (and thereby creating a new car you’re following that’s less than 1 second in front of you), it could be good to turn on AP (as long as it’s safe to do so of course).

If there’s no one in front of you within 3 seconds (i.e. - way in front of you off in the distance), then go ahead and turn on AP to ease your driving load since neither manual driving nor AP driving would affect your UFD score. This driving will just rack up miles and therefore amplify whatever score you end up with that day.

Reactions: RitaJ
Driving an autopilot will not change your unsafe following score. Best thing to improve it is to rack up time not an autopilot at a safe following distance.

Same for hard braking and aggressive turning, being in autopilot does not effect those metrics. The more safe braking you do (I think between .1-.3 g’s (or just full regen without touching the brake) will krmprove your score. As far as turns, the more safe turns you do(I think between .1-.4 G’s) will improve your score.

Reactions: LastGas