Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, my lights came today (pretty fast for the mail from TX to VA). I've only done the trunk so far. I have an 85D with the Tech Package but without the premium lights. The wires in the trunk were exactly where they were said to be. Both lights in the carpet when in quickly. The trunk light took a little while (probably due to learning to pry it a light for the first time). Not that I scratched the plastic up too bad but I might suggest practicing on removing one of the puddle lights first just to practice on getting one out of a plastic wall first.

Overall, the 3 lights in the Trunk are a HUGE difference compared to the single OEM light in the trunk. Well done Pete. I would say the lighting in the trunk is now finally useable (vs. WAY WAY dark before). I would recommend the 3 lights from Pete in the trunk to anyone.

- C

Ok, my lights came today (pretty fast for the mail from TX to VA). I've only done the trunk so far. I have an 85D with the Tech Package but without the premium lights. The wires in the trunk were exactly where they were said to be. Both lights in the carpet when in quickly. The trunk light took a little while (probably due to learning to pry it a light for the first time). Not that I scratched the plastic up too bad but I might suggest practicing on removing one of the puddle lights first just to practice on getting one out of a plastic wall first.

Would putting a piece of cloth or something between the spudger tool and the plastic work, and prevent scratching the plastic?

Already did the trunk... Had a little more time.

So.. I did the frunk (VERY easy). I did the driver door puddle light, the driver footwell (by the pedals), the front passenger footwell, and the front passenger door puddle light. All were pretty easy. I actually found the door lights and the driver footwell light pretty easy. Really you just need a little practice. I used painters tape on the edge near the pry point and it protecting things pretty well. I don't have the brackets for under the front seats so those will wait a little while.

Overall, I'm very please. The trunk is a HUGE improvement. The lights under the doors and in the footwells are a big improvement. I suspect the rear footwells (under the passenger seats) will be a big difference since I don't have any lights now.

Very please with Pete's lights!

- C

I got the lights today! (Really quick delivery for USPS!). I only did the frunk and trunk. The lights that are in the liners are easy to pop out, and almost do not need the spluger. The hatch light was tough, because the plastic was not forgiving. I ended up removing the emergency release cap and pushed out the light from the inside while using the spluger on the outer edge to wedge it out.

The light went out as soon as I freed it, and couldn't get the old or new light to work! Oh crap! Then I realized the lights timed out, and I had to turn them back on.

The difference in illumination is amazing! Thanks, Pete! I'm now regretting not buying an extra pack for the puddle lights!

The instructions are great - here are a few small corrections:
  • Label in first photo should be "Driver side (trunk)"
  • Steps 1 & 2 for the frunk seem reversed
  • Puddle lights: if you have air suspension, raise it to Very High
  • Puddle lights: step 2, "ot" should be "to"; step 3, "om" should be "on"
I might have more suggestions after I do the installation.

Thanks! Fixed all these issues, and added a few more comments based on other feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

Already did the trunk... Had a little more time.

So.. I did the frunk (VERY easy). I did the driver door puddle light, the driver footwell (by the pedals), the front passenger footwell, and the front passenger door puddle light. All were pretty easy. I actually found the door lights and the driver footwell light pretty easy. Really you just need a little practice. I used painters tape on the edge near the pry point and it protecting things pretty well. I don't have the brackets for under the front seats so those will wait a little while.

Overall, I'm very please. The trunk is a HUGE improvement. The lights under the doors and in the footwells are a big improvement. I suspect the rear footwells (under the passenger seats) will be a big difference since I don't have any lights now.

Very please with Pete's lights!

- C

Great! Glad you like them!

Oh man, Pete, all I can say is: WOW!!!!

Trunk OEM:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449550275.681758.jpg

Trunk Let-there-light!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449550305.089290.jpg

Frunk OEM:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449550324.853116.jpg

Frunk so-that's-where-they-put-jimmy-hoffa's-body:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449550368.404330.jpg

I've ordered enough bulbs to completely redo the rest of my bulbs and all of my dad's.

Fantastic product. Seriously what the car should have come with in the first place.

Reactions: pete8314
Hi everyone.

Well, as at least one person has spotted (and managed to place an order during the few minutes the page was live for testing earlier!), the bulbs are now live, here's the link:

Ultra-Bright LED Interior Light Kit - Abstract Ocean

A few important things to note:

• Any feedback (ideally on this thread) has been, and is, very helpful - thanks. I only have one, quite old, Model S to play with, so with all the trim levels out there, it's good to understand the various options
  • The bulbs are priced at $10 each, this is more or less the range I hoped for way back when, but it is an early-bird price for this thread. I don't mind if the link is shared, but when I send the product email out (most likely after Christmas) the price will increase to $45 a pack.
  • As mentioned above, I don't have the full instructions written yet, that should happen this weekend, but until then the QR code on the back of the pack won't take you anywhere useful. Once the instructions are up, I'll continue to add to them based on the feedback on this thread. I assume most on this thread are more than capable of fitting these, technically there's nothing to it, but if you're not sure, please wait for a more complete installation guide.
  • If you're outside the US, shipping is free for any order over $50 until the weekend (no code needed); after that, it's probably too late for pre-Xmas delivery, although I'm close to striking a deal with DHL which, if successful, will offer a much better international service than I can achieve with USPS.

I think that's it. Thanks for everyone's help so far, and I look forward to more feedback.

~Glad to see these are ready for Christmas, so I just ordered -12-, for my own Christmas present.
Also want to thank you for tackling this project and offering the group the discounted price and shipping arrangements.
And my car,, thanks you as well

Did anyone figure out if these can go into the glove box? I haven't dug in there yet as my shipment hasn't arrived yet.
I haven't received my lights yet but, per install note number 5, you can replace that one too.

Bonus Part 5 - Glove box
If you want a dazzling glove box, you can also replace the bulb in there. The process is the same as described above for all the other bulbs, but the bulb is quite difficult to remove; if the spudger doesn't pry it out, you might need to revert to a small screwdriver, but in doing so you might crack the old bulb, so take care.

Oh man, Pete, all I can say is: WOW!!!!

...pics snipped...

I've ordered enough bulbs to completely redo the rest of my bulbs and all of my dad's.

Fantastic product. Seriously what the car should have come with in the first place.

Thanks! I saw this come though my email late last night just before turning in....I didn't open TMC, but reading the text meant I went to sleep happy - thanks for the great feedback and pics!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks BoldSharpe. That must be one of the revisions Pete said he made to the instructions, which I haven't looked at since he originally posted them.

You can, but I hardly ever open my glove box, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort....I had to fight with mine to get the OEM bulb out, getting the spudger dug in there wasn't easy. If there's demand I can create a SKU for a single unit, but for me at least, the light in the glove box wasn't too bad with the OEM bulb.

You can, but I hardly ever open my glove box, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort....I had to fight with mine to get the OEM bulb out, getting the spudger dug in there wasn't easy. If there's demand I can create a SKU for a single unit, but for me at least, the light in the glove box wasn't too bad with the OEM bulb.

I'll check tonight. I never noticed a light in my glove box. It could be its burnt out, its just that week, or I have something in front of it blocking it.

Received my lights today and installed three in the trunk. Will install the light in the frunk another time.

Thanks. They are much brighter than the OEM lights. However, removing the light from the trunk lid was nearly impossible. In fact, the tip of the spudger broke trying to remove this light. I eventually removed it by taking off the emergency trunk lid release cap right above the light, putting fingers behind the light to squeeze the clips that hold the light in place, and using a tiny, tiny screwdriver to pry the light out of its fitting. The other two lights were removed with ease using just my fingers.

Received my lights today and installed three in the trunk. Will install the light in the frunk another time.

Thanks. They are much brighter than the OEM lights. However, removing the light from the trunk lid was nearly impossible. In fact, the tip of the spudger broke trying to remove this light. I eventually removed it by taking off the emergency trunk lid release cap right above the light, putting fingers behind the light to squeeze the clips that hold the light in place, and using a tiny, tiny screwdriver to pry the light out of its fitting. The other two lights were removed with ease using just my fingers.

hmmm....would be interested to see how others get on with the trunk lid. That was my main test locations for the many prototypes, so it might be 'looser' for me than for others.

hmmm....would be interested to see how others get on with the trunk lid. That was my main test locations for the many prototypes, so it might be 'looser' for me than for others.

It was definitely more difficult than others. It's recessed and surrounded by hard plastic so it's more difficult to get the correct angle on the spudger. I found that pushing the spudger in harder allowed the slight wedge shape of the tool to cause sufficient separation. Honesty, the frunk was a little harder and chipped the spudger a bit. My understanding is that there the whole point of the spudger is to fail before breaking the object to be removed while still being hard enough to accomplish the task. In that respect it worked perfectly. Also, while its not as pretty as it once was. It's still perfectly useable.

The hatch light was tough, because the plastic was not forgiving. I ended up removing the emergency release cap and pushed out the light from the inside while using the spluger on the outer edge to wedge it out.

However, removing the light from the trunk lid was nearly impossible. In fact, the tip of the spudger broke trying to remove this light. I eventually removed it by taking off the emergency trunk lid release cap right above the light, putting fingers behind the light to squeeze the clips that hold the light in place, and using a tiny, tiny screwdriver to pry the light out of its fitting.

What's involved in removing this emergency release cap? Is it obvious what needs to be done? (I can't look at the car right now, as my wife has it.)

Thanks.

The release cap has a clip on the top portion, the left side and the right side. I used the spudger to pry the cap off from the bottom of the trunk liner.

The actual trunk release cable is secured in the recess using a hook and fastner (i.e., Velcro) strip. Move it so you can get your fingers in the space and then squeeze the clips of the light to help release it.

Just installed 8 lights. 3 in the trunk, 1 in the frunk, 2 in the front wells, and 2 for the back passenger seats.
Installation from easiest to hardest:
- 2 trunk lights were the easiest to remove and replace.
- 2 front footwells lights
- 1 frunk light
- 1 trunk hatch
- 2 rear footwells lights
The trunk hatch light took a bit of prying and eventually broke off the tip of spudge. Used small screwdriver to pry out.
The rear footwells are quite difficult. You'll have to raise and move the front seats forward to give yourself enough room to work.
Note: using a screwdriver will probably ruin the stock lights. Useable but chipped.