Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved supercharging time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is considered older 60kw/h batteries...?
I guess pre-facelift or AP1. I didn't have anything specific in mind. The two posts ahead of mine were both 2015 owners, as am I, so that's all I was really thinking about.
My charge rates in kW are always about 120 - SOC +/- 7. Battery temps never seem to factor into it in the real world, at least here in Houston.

I went to a supercharger Friday morning with the intention of seeing if there were charging time differences. I arrived with 35% SoC and had my limit set to 90%. Temps overnight never went below 60F, I believe it was above 60F when I arrived and had set the navigation to the supercharger, distance to it was about 2 miles, so probably not much battery preheating. I was the only one at the supercharger (12 stalls). I never got over 105kW. It appeared to be a normal supercharging session. I am going to try again sometime next week on a different stall.

Since I am doing a long trip in June, I really want to know how long it is going to take to supercharge, so I can do some planning for the trip, but as of now, it appears that I will plan for what I am used to.

BTW, I have 2019.12.1.1

I know we are supposed to see a boost in SC rates as I currently see about 116kw/h when hovering around 15%SoC.

Would like to see it boost to the advertised 145kw/h which should shave sometime off the bottom range of charging time.

I’ve tried these last few days to nav to the SC site while 30miles out to see if it helps any in the overall charge time.

I know we are supposed to see a boost in SC rates as I currently see about 116kw/h when hovering around 15%SoC.

Would like to see it boost to the advertised 145kw/h which should shave sometime off the bottom range of charging time.

I’ve tried these last few days to nav to the SC site while 30miles out to see if it helps any in the overall charge time.

Depends on battery I think the advertised 150 is for the 100 batt only

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The 25% increase mentioned in the release notes is most likely an ideal case where a cold battery would have caused a significant reduction in charge speed. It is not increasing the typical supercharging session that isn't affected by battery temperature.

I see absolutely no increase in super charging speed. I have done a few charging sessions and monitored the battery temperature on the drive leading up to the stations. Nothing different. Peak rate is the same, taper is the same.

Over the course of the life of my car (5 years), supercharging has decreased by 20-30%. The charge rate drops down faster and earlier causing the entire charge session to take longer to add the same amount of miles compared to when it was new. The new firmware has not changed that at all, let alone increase the normal supercharging session speed.But then my batter is the original 85 which has the old cell chemistry. I don't think there is room for improvement.

I see how it can make a difference in a Model 3. It has such an efficient drive train, that there is very little heat losses that warm up the battery while driving. Especially in winter this can cause the battery to stay cold much longer than the Model S or X. It makes sense to actively warm up the battery in a Model 3 when heading for a supercharger. In a Model S or X these situations will be less likely to happen. Frankly here in Los Angeles it never gets cold enough to cause a slow supercharging session.

Quick update: I had to supercharge today before I wanted to, with my SoC at 50%. I tried a different stall and temps made it up to 80F. At 50%, I peaked at 123kW, which I have never seen before. I have never seen it go over 118kW. I am hopeful that my previous attempt was either too cold or I had a stall that was not at 100% health and that subsequent charging sessions will yield higher charging rates if the conditions are conducive of that.