Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm going to be odering a Plaid S and I'm requesting opinions of anyone who has the track pack ceramic brake upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hands down it was worth it. The components are top-spec. I don't know if they have the price of just the brakes back to 15k (without wheels) but I'd suggest going with aftermarket wheels and tires rather than the track pack wheels and tires. If you have the 21" arachnids, you could keep them as well.

Best money I've spent in a long time and really give the Plaid incredible repeated stopping power. It does give you the top speed unlock which you won't get if going aftermarket as well.

Save the money and order the car with 19's and then order aftermarket 20's. You'll come out cheaper in the long run. Or you could go with the track pack and get their wheels and tires but the tires won't last long and then replace with something more streetable.

Reactions: 1100MCM and Sendit1
My plan was to order it with the 19" wheels and use those. I think you can order the track pack when it is built, but apparently you can't add the track pack until you have paid in full for the "regular" plaid order.
I'm going to remove the badges and pretend it is a regular long range S. I love sleepers :0)~

Hands down it was worth it. The components are top-spec. I don't know if they have the price of just the brakes back to 15k (without wheels) but I'd suggest going with aftermarket wheels and tires rather than the track pack wheels and tires. If you have the 21" arachnids, you could keep them as well.

Best money I've spent in a long time and really give the Plaid incredible repeated stopping power. It does give you the top speed unlock which you won't get if going aftermarket as well.

Save the money and order the car with 19's and then order aftermarket 20's. You'll come out cheaper in the long run. Or you could go with the track pack and get their wheels and tires but the tires won't last long and then replace with something more streetable.
Excellent. Thank you for the info. I'll order with the 19s and buy aftermarket 20s. I prefer to have a bit more sidewall than the 21s give.

Just keep in mind that you can't install the brakes with the 19's. So as soon as you get your car and order the brakes, get the 20's on order. You can get decent money for your 19" takeoffs further reducing your overall cost.

A lot of good options for wheels out there. I would suggest going with a square setup. You can then rotate the tires and wheels which you can't do with the factory staggered setup. This keeps the tire's full mileage treadwear in effect. If you go staggered as the factory does, your 30k treadwear warranty gets cut in half to 15k.

I went with Jamie @SignatureSales to build a custom set of wheels. He has excellent service and a very good product. I am on my second set of Signature wheels. It will take about a month from order to delivery.

Reactions: Stokkes and Sendit1
Ah good info for the square setup, I'll go with that. I was planning on buying 20s.

How did you end up with the track pack? The salesman on the floor told me I must first pay for the car, then they can add the track pack option, that the track pack option is not available to them until the car is paid....is this true? At the moment I'm planning on ordering the car next March as a bonus to myself for finishing a project.

I ordered the track pack through the app. It isn't a factory option you can order at the time of the purchase, at least for now, anyway. Maybe by the time you order, it will be an option from the factory. If so, they might be able to drop the price. As it is, it is a heckuva deal for what you get, considering the quality of the components.

Reactions: Sendit1
Ive heard some are picky about that but the service center i took mine to would have, but unfortunately my rear wheels could not clear the brake caliper without a spacer.

It is not really their choice any more if you know anbout the magnuson-moss act.

I ordered the track pack through the app. It isn't a factory option you can order at the time of the purchase, at least for now, anyway. Maybe by the time you order, it will be an option from the factory. If so, they might be able to drop the price. As it is, it is a heckuva deal for what you get, considering the quality of the components.
Nice, the track pack is definitely on my wish list, I'm on the fence about spending extra on forged magnesium or just going with the forged aluminum since my Plaid isn't a dedicated track car.

It seems difficult to find the weight of the 20" forged aluminum wheels and carbon ceramic brakes, are you able to share this information or does Tesla get touchy about publicly sharing the weights?

Was it worth it vs aftermarket? I'm heavily leaning toward buying the OEM $20K upgrade, but I'm new to Tesla and would appreciate some feedback from those who have upgraded their brakes on their Model S Plaid or from those who bought the track pack OEM upgrade.
Problem with aftermarket is there seem to be absolute no rear BBKs for this car. I guess the parking brake is a pain to deal with for any non-OEMs. The track pack shifts the brake bias a bit rearward which will overall improve the dynamics of this car.

All that said, the track pack is actually pretty reasonably priced for what you get. A full steel BBK would be probably around $10k (+ install if you can't DIY), while the track pack is $15k all in. And it's not like they're using cheap *sugar*, it's full AP racing front and rear.

I'm leaning towards just going for it come springtime, assuming my wheels clear.

Nice, the track pack is definitely on my wish list, I'm on the fence about spending extra on forged magnesium or just going with the forged aluminum since my Plaid isn't a dedicated track car.

It seems difficult to find the weight of the 20" forged aluminum wheels and carbon ceramic brakes, are you able to share this information or does Tesla get touchy about publicly sharing the weights?

On wheels, forged VS cast in the same design is almost identical on weight. Where forged excel is because of their strength, you can use designs that need less material which then gets you lighter weight.

Problem with aftermarket is there seem to be absolute no rear BBKs for this car. I guess the parking brake is a pain to deal with for any non-OEMs. The track pack shifts the brake bias a bit rearward which will overall improve the dynamics of this car.

All that said, the track pack is actually pretty reasonably priced for what you get. A full steel BBK would be probably around $10k (+ install if you can't DIY), while the track pack is $15k all in. And it's not like they're using cheap *sugar*, it's full AP racing front and rear.

I'm leaning towards just going for it come springtime, assuming my wheels clear.
No point going with anything other than the factory BBK. As mentioned, the price is reasonable for what you get. The 2 things that absolutely pushed me over the edge was factory warranty and 200 mph unlock. No aftermarket option is going to off that.

The more I drive my car with these brakes, the more I love them. D@MN they look good too.

Reactions: SO16 and Sam1
No point going with anything other than the factory BBK. As mentioned, the price is reasonable for what you get. The 2 things that absolutely pushed me over the edge was factory warranty and 200 mph unlock. No aftermarket option is going to off that.

The more I drive my car with these brakes, the more I love them. D@MN they look good too.
I mean if I could get a real BBK for like 8-10k instead of 15 I would do that. But as I said, no one makes a rear bbk so it’s a non starter IMO

I ish I had a way of test fitting my wheels over the Tesla kit

TE37's come with different faces that interfere with clearance going from the barrel to the hub, do you know which one yours uses? if not, the only way is to test fit. if you do know, you can print a 1:1 and check clearance with that if you can get the schematic.
Face 3 front and face 4 rear

If I do decide to go with the brakes, probably wouldn’t be until springtime at the earliest so I do have some time to try to figure things out. But without knowing someone who already has the track pack or somehow getting the precise dimensions, I’m just guessing