Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ignoring Airbag Sensor Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An airbag fault icon is displayed on the screen on our new car, but service messaged that the airbag will still work:

Screenshot_20221114-181901_Tesla.jpg

Since it's 5.5 hours to the service center and 3 hours to a mobile service location, I'm not going to try to get this fixed unless/until I have some other problem that needs repairing.

Do you think that's a reasonable decision?

If I understand the explanation by Tesla Service, the only downside that I can see is that if you are in an accident where the airbags would be deployed, the passenger side one will fire off regardless if there's anybody sitting in the seat. That means extra cost to replace it.

If it were me and I was in the same situation regarding access to service, I'd do the same (drive the car and ignore the warning).

I'd also make sure that you keep documentation on the conversation you're having with Tesla Service. Just in case...

If you regularly have a very small passenger (a child or petite adult) it may be safer to relocate them to the rear seat until the problem is fixed, or adjust the passenger seat as far to the rear as possible. Just in case the airbag fires with maximum force instead of reduced force due to the fault.

• Informative
Reactions: PianoAl