Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you like having your blood pressure raised...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are people who say that the planet isn’t warming (pre step 1), that it’s warming as part of a natural cycle (pre step 1), our impact is negligible (pre step 1).
Hell, we share this planet with people who truly believe it is flat, and that every image of a round world is part of a giant conspiracy. I’m not saying that they are the same people as the AGW deniers.

Seriously, let's get beyond the flat earther meme. The number of people who deny the planet is warming is very small and they are irrelevant.
To what extent humans have contributed to the problem is also irrelevant. Even if it was a natural cycle , there is still a Climate warming problem, and we must deal with it.
If we keep excluding people by insulting them, or ask people to sign up to quasi religious ideologies, how can we discuss solutions rationally.
We must overcome the fear of change and present properly costed solutions - not saying renewables are cheap and forgetting to mention the enormous cost of grid stabilisation and storage (which is currently provided for free by synchronous generators).
Tesla is disrupting mainly traditional industries and our enthusiasm for its mission is spreading, especially to the younger generations.
But I think even Tesla will be too late to enable renewables to take over completely soon enough , so we need the Technological fixes too.

Last edited:
Seriously, let's get beyond the flat earther meme. The number of people who deny the planet is warming is very small and they are irrelevant.
To what extent humans have contributed to the problem is also irrelevant. Even if it was a natural cycle , there is still a Climate warming problem, and we must deal with it.
If we keep excluding people by insulting them, or ask people to sign up to quasi religious ideologies, how can we discuss solutions rationally.
We must overcome the fear of change and present properly costed solutions - not saying renewables are cheap and forgetting to mention the enormous cost of grid stabilisation and storage (which is currently provided for free by synchronous generators).
Tesla is disrupting mainly traditional industries and our enthusiasm for its mission is spreading, especially to the younger generations.
But I think even Tesla will be too late to enable renewables to take over completely soon enough , so we need the Technological fixes too.
It was just an example of how you can never convince everyone of anything, regardless of how much evidence you have. Bit unfortunate that it was about the shape of the earth, I didn’t mean to confuse it with the climate of the earth.

• Funny
Reactions: Techno-phile
So reduced economic activity works - the Chinese are breathing cleaner air (if you don't count floating viruses). Of course not all the pollutants warm the earth - some cool it.
But COVID19 will have to work hard to reduce the population since this is growing at over 1% per annum.

So reduced economic activity works - the Chinese are breathing cleaner air (if you don't count floating viruses). Of course not all the pollutants warm the earth - some cool it.
But COVID19 will have to work hard to reduce the population since this is growing at over 1% per annum.
It’ll have to work even harder to get inside my tesla with bioweapon defense mode.

• Funny
Reactions: Techno-phile
So true. And many humans are hypocrites judging by the number who go ahead and buy a new ICE car and go on ocean cruises despite despite claiming/voting they want a reduction in greenhouse gases.

People always change their minds, they should admit to it. Bonus to explain why.
But politicians are a special king of hypocrite, they love the power to prevent you doing something while they do the same all the time.

BEV's are not affordable to most (getting there) and require some additional expense an ICE does not have (for one adding home charging port).
And going on a ocean cruise once every 5 years is a trivial CO2 production when shared among thousands and good for mental health (going every year, maybe twice a year, then there is something unhinged with that person).*
(* Personally I prefer a resort, on the rare occasion I can go)

And going on a ocean cruise once every 5 years is a trivial CO2 production when shared among thousands
According to this reference cruise ships emit about 1200kg/km for about 3000 passengers. On a round trip from Sydney to Noumea and back that's 1.6t of CO2, per passenger. About the same as burning 700L of petrol.

This is a Fermi estimate but I'm not sure I'd call that trivial.

• Informative
Reactions: MontyFloyd
And the moron strikes again ..how is this dinosaur not extinct ..

006000E5-0E54-4E81-999B-802F71848DEC.jpeg

According to this reference cruise ships emit about 1200kg/km for about 3000 passengers. On a round trip from Sydney to Noumea and back that's 1.6t of CO2, per passenger. About the same as burning 700L of petrol.

This is a Fermi estimate but I'm not sure I'd call that trivial.
But isnt it also a quantum over time? If once every two years was your only holiday and you dont fly a lot then your use is 700litres over two years, or 1 litre per day.
Fyi I get sea sick so no boat fuel use on my part. I prefer island resorts with their own renewables.

Controversial changes allowing energy networks to charge households with rooftop solar panels for sending surplus power back into the energy grid will apply from 2025, following official approval from the national market rule maker on Thursday.

The Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC) says electricity networks may need to charge customers some of the time they send their solar power into the electricity grid to remove blockages that are created by an influx of power from households into the network when the sun is shining in the middle of the day.

Controversial changes allowing energy networks to charge households with rooftop solar panels for sending surplus power back into the energy grid will apply from 2025, following official approval from the national market rule maker on Thursday.

The Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC) says electricity networks may need to charge customers some of the time they send their solar power into the electricity grid to remove blockages that are created by an influx of power from households into the network when the sun is shining in the middle of the day.

Absolutely disgusting….going off grid is becoming more and more attractive and helping all those going roof top solar to do the same….serious a holes….

Reactions: Wol747
Absolutely disgusting….going off grid is becoming more and more attractive and helping all those going roof top solar to do the same….serious a holes….
It certainly improves the business case for residential batteries.

Presumably Tesla could easily push a Powerwall software update to stop grid export once the battery is full at times of the day this charge applies, and dial down the inverter so that it only meets household demand.

Fixed?

Also, if/when such a charge is applied, it should relate to actual grid issues in an area. Inner Sydney, for example, has extremely low proportion of dwellings with rooftop solar. There is no way excess rooftop solar in one house would not be consumed by the neighbouring households. In that situation, there is nothing to fix in the grid, and the grid supplier should not be allowed to impose such a charge.

Reactions: technerdx6000
‘Energy chaos’: Wind and solar industry facing roadblocks in Australia

Australia’s charge into large-scale wind and solar is faltering, with investment in new projects drying up and construction jobs in the industry diving.

Figures from the Clean Energy Council for the second quarter of 2021 reveal three new projects across the country reached the financial commitment stage, the equal second-lowest number for any quarter since the start of 2017.

“Investment in clean energy has fallen to levels not seen for several years as a result of the increased risks facing investors, including from grid connection and network constraints as well as the ongoing unpredictable and unhelpful government policy interventions and market reforms,” Mr Thornton said.

• Informative
Reactions: MontyFloyd
It certainly improves the business case for residential batteries.

Presumably Tesla could easily push a Powerwall software update to stop grid export once the battery is full at times of the day this charge applies, and dial down the inverter so that it only meets household demand.

Fixed?

Also, if/when such a charge is applied, it should relate to actual grid issues in an area. Inner Sydney, for example, has extremely low proportion of dwellings with rooftop solar. There is no way excess rooftop solar in one house would not be consumed by the neighbouring households. In that situation, there is nothing to fix in the grid, and the grid supplier should not be allowed to impose such a charge.
Refusing to pay $70 to export $2000?
The $70 is clearly a rort but keeping a close eye on reality

Refusing to pay $70 to export $2000?
The $70 is clearly a rort but keeping a close eye on reality
Where did you get $70 from?

As i said in my post, Tesla could push a SW update that stops export during any time period this “tax” would apply. The system would still export excess solar at other times. You’d need to set up a pricing schedule similar to what Tesla already has with TBC, e.g. stop solar export between 12-2pm or whatever, if the charge only applies between 12-2pm.

So, no, you would not lose $2000 in exports.

Where did you get $70 from?

As i said in my post, Tesla could push a SW update that stops export during any time period this “tax” would apply. The system would still export excess solar at other times. You’d need to set up a pricing schedule similar to what Tesla already has with TBC, e.g. stop solar export between 12-2pm or whatever, if the charge only applies between 12-2pm.

So, no, you would not lose $2000 in exports.
In SA the reports are a $70 fee to the distributor to export as you please with market led FIT, or pay nothing but not be permitted to export. There is another time related option as well but it seemed a bit vague in the SA specific report.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
It seems the UK is aiming to transitition quickly:

All new homes in England to include electric car chargers - The Times of London https://apple.news/AEKPf5EERS4KrnzExyIkK6g

All new homes and offices will feature electric car chargers under new laws designed to address fears over a shortage of plug-in points. The government confirmed today that legislation would be introduced before next year that would require the installation of charging points on all new-build properties in England. The legislation, billed as the first of its kind in the world, will also require all chargers to be “smart” devices that will ensure batteries can be replenished without overloading the grid. This includes promoting the use of charging overnight. The rules are expected to come into force next year.

It seems the UK is aiming to transitition quickly:

All new homes in England to include electric car chargers - The Times of London https://apple.news/AEKPf5EERS4KrnzExyIkK6g

All new homes and offices will feature electric car chargers under new laws designed to address fears over a shortage of plug-in points. The government confirmed today that legislation would be introduced before next year that would require the installation of charging points on all new-build properties in England. The legislation, billed as the first of its kind in the world, will also require all chargers to be “smart” devices that will ensure batteries can be replenished without overloading the grid. This includes promoting the use of charging overnight. The rules are expected to come into force next year.
That is exactly what I posted, and we should be asking be done everywhere!

The other point of using EV for load balancing and/or storage was also posted by me and others.

Rather obvious solutions. Thankfully someone in Gov sees it too.

Reactions: Vostok
Fairly simple in a house.

Just need a 32A feed to the garage.

Far more complex in apartment blocks as you need to consider metering/billing and managing usage versus total supply. (Eg. Multiple cars turning on charging at the same time)

And then you've got to consider whether what you might install today will be relevant in 5 years (when you might have cars with V2G)