Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If only the production Model S looked like this...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A group of us talked with Franz last night at the LA opening in frot of a car about the nose changes. (so fun!)
I don't want to misquote him but one thing he made very clear was the lower lip protrusion being a requirement (specifically he said Canada) that is a pedestrian safety device. Hitting the ankle first and causing the body to fall on the hood is requirement. No hitting an breaking the knee.

He talked about how the air was originally going into the nose and for aero reasons they dropped it all down to low.

the lower lip protrusion being a requirement (specifically he said Canada) that is a pedestrian safety device. Hitting the ankle first and causing the body to fall on the hood is requirement. No hitting an breaking the knee.
Very interesting. I don't know if the Tesla blog is the proper forum, but this type of stuff would be great to make more public. For example, when going to car shows with "concept vehicles" it would be nice to have a more informed eye about "that feature won't make it to production because...."

I don't want to misquote him but one thing he made very clear was the lower lip protrusion being a requirement (specifically he said Canada) that is a pedestrian safety device. Hitting the ankle first and causing the body to fall on the hood is requirement. No hitting an breaking the knee.

Yeah, Canadian certification authorities often tend to be pickier than other countries. :redface:

I was told the same thing by somebody at the factory back at the test ride event late last year (about the nose protrusion being for pedestrian safety).

I don't mind the current look (although I preferred the original). What I do mind is some of the problems with body panel fit, especially around the trunk. Perhaps if somebody has a chance to talk to Franz, they could ask about that?

I was told the same thing by somebody at the factory back at the test ride event late last year (about the nose protrusion being for pedestrian safety).

I don't mind the current look (although I preferred the original). What I do mind is some of the problems with body panel fit, especially around the trunk. Perhaps if somebody has a chance to talk to Franz, they could ask about that?

Fairly sure it's a manufacturing issue to design