Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I started receiving "NEM2MT B Net Energy Metering Multiple Tariff" billing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since PG&E finally finished the paperwork of our PowerWalls, since we also have solar, we have been put into the following billing "rate schedule":

NEM2MT B Net Energy Metering Multiple Tariff

Here's a sample of the PG&E bill:

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 10.15.18 AM.png

That is the entire electricity billing page that is available in the regular total bill. Furthermore, online, I cannot view any usage except for the net usage that you see above. Instead, I have been placed into that "Multiple" Tariff, and information about that gets mailed seperately via USPS to us as a paper printout of all the various types of charges back and forth. I have one of those someplace -- I can post a sample later. I do not believe it is available online; I looked for it. In typical fashion, PG&E implements future technology by harkening back to the outdated age of paper billing rather than computer billing, because it seems to use centralized one-size-fits-all planning that thinks it knows all but doesn't.

This is our second Multiple Tariff billing. The prior rate plan we were on, Solar NEM2, was an annual billing with electrical charges totalled up and charged once per year. When we were put into the Multiple Tariff, that ended the prior NEM2 billing cycle prematurely, we were charged the full amount for a prematurely ended NEM2 "year", I had to pay it right then, and then we started a new NEM2 year within the Mutipe Tariff billing that we can only reconcile on paper.

Last edited:
Unrelated to the "Multiple Tariff" aspect of this, but as a side effect of it being put on our account:

Restarting our NEM2 yearly cycle had a side effect of moving our annual NEM2 cycle endpoints to mid-summer, which is helpful, since it will not hit us with that heavy winter lump right when we are least able to handle it (since we generate less than we use due to heavy winter use and not so much winter generation), and we have a chance to see our net annual bill reduced by the best solar time of the year for us given the angle our panels are fixed and our shade (we use more electricity in winter to heat than we do in summer, since we have no air conditioning here in the coastal areas, and practically don't need air conditioning). In a pinch, we could even forgoe some electrical use if we had to compensate for a cold winter, or at least have a good working summer to build up to paying it back. Since I'm in California coastal region, I call everything from March to October "Summer", and November through February is "Winter", which I'm sure many will disagree with.

The best part of our roof for fixed solar is already covered with solar panels. Since our morning sun hits the other side of our roof from where we have panels, I wish someday to put Tesla Roof shingles on the front of our roof, which is the public road side. I calculate that it would bring our generation approximately up to our current use. Only doing that one portion of the roof would be about one quarter the cost of doing the entire roof with Tesla Roof, since it is only one sixth our roof area, but we would have to get the more expensive solar tiles for that to be useful. Also, I wish to double our batteries from 2 to 4, which would store closer to our entire needs most of the year. We would still dip into utility electricity during winter, but much less often, if we did those two doublings of our capacity. The net charges we currently experience would plummet to us being net generators, meaning we would get a token stipend for our net generation rather than an annual hefty bill. We could even consider augmenting our gas heater with some type of electric heater system instead, but that's just an idea, one which would require better overall home insulation to be affordable (our home was built before insulation was common, and only our attic has insulation).

We are on the SGIP program, so we only use self-generation profile for our PowerWalls. Someday, I expect California's solar footprint to be much larger, so we would presumably be paid to store winter daytime solar and we could discharge that solar power at night during our electric heating time period, and the tarriffs would encourage that. However, since PG&E's net solar is less than its current total needs in winter, that will not change soon. I will enjoy that very much when it comes to be.

I expect a similar consideration for summer when PG&E has more solar than use during the day, but it will be somewhat different, since in the non-coastal areas one of the big electrical users is mid-day air conditioning. I think the PowerWalls would store electricity from excess summar mid-day solar, then discharge in the evening when the house still needs to be cooled down but the photons are no longer shining. That will be a great time to be alive to witness solar energy.

Last edited:
IMG_0021.jpg That's interesting that you had that $ amount. This 'Net Energy Metering Multiple Tariff' thing is brand new to me. (this is our first 5 months of having our 24 solar panels + a Tesla Powerwall2. Sold our house on May 4th, and just received a bill from PG&E for $816 due toward the NEM2MT. Upon a brief search online, it seems this tariff is applied at the end of a 12 mo billing cycle, or I guess when you sell your house. Why is this so much? (Also note that during the same 22 days that this bill is for, we had -40.0000 kWh useage.)

As you said, the bill is for the whole annual cycle, not just for the 22 days. The way net metering works with PG&E, you only pay the minimum monthly charge each month, even if you use more electricity than that. The amount you owe gets saved up and offset in the months where you generate more than you use. The net amount is trued up at the end of the year (or when there are account events like changing rates, selling the house, etc.). You should be able to see the cumulative energy charges on the first page of the NEMMT bills. I'm still on NEM1, but I think it should be the same on NEM2.

I just got my first PG&E bill after our Powerwalls were approved for connection in April. The pdf bill now shows NEM2MT as my rate plan vs my old EV-A. I hope I haven't lost my old plan as I should have a number of years before I need to switch.

I was also surprised to see our true-up date reset to April.

I tried checking our online account but it no longer shows the rate plan and I can't run the usual rate comparison tool.

Gonna have to call them on Monday to see what's up.

"MT" stands for "multiple tariff" For some reason the Powerwalls require an additional tariff. The rate schedule in the top right of the long bill (not the default bill in your account, but the one under "my account & services") showed "E6XB./NEMMT" for me, though, showing that I'm still on the E6 rate. Actually they've now switched this to E6XB/NEMPS ("paired storage"). The new rate also makes sure I'm not exporting more than the estimated solar production for each billing cycle.

• Helpful
Reactions: ChrisJ