Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ordered!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a "stretch buyer" for sure, some of my family still have the attitude I have no business driving such a "ridiculously expensive car."

I am a stretch buyer in the sense that I could use the money else where besides this car. The one thing I have to say about this quote is that when people tell you how to spend your money in a non-constructive way such as "The car is SO EXPENSIVE" and not "You could use that money on your retirement, have you considered X and Y" are people that are simply jealous.

Other people don't know your financial situation. I came into a bunch of extra money (TSLA stock) and I have weighed all the options and I am deciding to get this car. When my friends look at me they won't see that. They will see someone who financed a 90k car (they will likely assume its 120k or something even more grand) and think I am eyeball deep in debt, when in reality I am financing it for 40k and all my debt is payed off (save my house).

The short version: People get jealous when they see success and good money management. Unless they are constructive, your friends and family are likely just trying to chip you down so they can feel higher.

...man maybe I am jaded :D haha!

Congratulations Jhall118 !

I ordered in late November and last time I called Tesla somebody told me the car could get delivered late January. I have a bad case of wait-anxiety, can hardly work!
This TMC forums made me survive week by week, ...but it still looks so far far away until delivery.

Leather is always a better choice than cloth, it will last a pretty long and decent time looking ´like new´ if you take care of it (dust, damp wipe, cold cream on).

Congrats and welcome, I've had mine for 5 days now and I can't stay away from her. I'm in the garage for hours listening to music and learning new things. Some of my co-workers came to work on their day off just to see it. The wait may seems long, but worth every minute. Like I advised Jhall, visiting the forum helps. I learned quite a bit from the members. I learned we are a passionate bunch:wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I am a stretch buyer in the sense that I could use the money else where besides this car. The one thing I have to say about this quote is that when people tell you how to spend your money in a non-constructive way such as "The car is SO EXPENSIVE" and not "You could use that money on your retirement, have you considered X and Y" are people that are simply jealous.

Other people don't know your financial situation. I came into a bunch of extra money (TSLA stock) and I have weighed all the options and I am deciding to get this car. When my friends look at me they won't see that. They will see someone who financed a 90k car (they will likely assume its 120k or something even more grand) and think I am eyeball deep in debt, when in reality I am financing it for 40k and all my debt is payed off (save my house).

The short version: People get jealous when they see success and good money management. Unless they are constructive, your friends and family are likely just trying to chip you down so they can feel higher.

...man maybe I am jaded :D haha!

Bardlebee, you are so right. Here's what I say when the haters ask (why, how, do you know what you could do with that much money) I say first answer this question for me.
"What is it about ME spending MY money on what I want bothers YOU the most?" Usually the response is, "well it is a sweet ride" I just smile and say, yes...yes, it is!!!

If kids are in your future, and will be in your car, get the leather. Otherwise, the food you will be feeding them will end up on your seats... and leather is so much easier to wipe clean than cloth. I never really appreciated leather until I had kids, and that was especially so when I first experienced projectile vomiting. Try getting that smell out of cloth on the side of the highway.

Congratulations.... and welcome to the waiting club with me!

Second this, for long term durability reasons

Last edited:
I finally did it. Sold my Audi TT, and am taking the bus while I wait for my Performance +. I am so excited.

I am the definition of a stretch buyer... make about 70k a year with my wife (we are young, no kids to feed yet), but every time I saw a Tesla in the Seattle area, I hated my life.

The only option I am struggling with are the seats. I feel silly getting cloth seats in such an expensive car, but I really hate the look of worn leather, and I am hoping that the cloth seats will be a bit more stable for the passengers. Can anyone comment on the comfort of the cloth seats? Are they itchy (aka Volt seats) or soft? Anyone got cloth and really wish they got the leather? My understanding is the features in the seats are the same now as well. Can someone confirm that?

Anyways, so happy to be able to experience the joy of Tesla. This will be our only car, so hopefully the naysayers that say "it's just a second toy car for most" are completely wrong!

Did I mention I am excited?

An itch has never occurred on my body sitting in a volt, cloth or leather/suede.

But the cloth seats in the model s are very comfortable, you slide around less and its lower maintenance.

Welcome to the Seattle-area Tesla owners cabal. What is your color choice, so we can look for you on the road? Have had my green S85 for nearly 3 months and every driving moment is heaven. No issues other than the (common) GPS spinning maps. I have black leather seats, but then I've always had black leather seats. No kids, no projectile vomiting, I hope.

Recommend the full Xpel wrap. Took my car to Metro Detail day after delivery; they did an excellent job. Not inexpensive, but think of it as further protection of your investment.

Congrats and welcome, I've had mine for 5 days now and I can't stay away from her. I'm in the garage for hours listening to music and learning new things. Some of my co-workers came to work on their day off just to see it. The wait may seems long, but worth every minute. Like I advised Jhall, visiting the forum helps. I learned quite a bit from the members. I learned we are a passionate bunch:wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Bardlebee, you are so right. Here's what I say when the haters ask (why, how, do you know what you could do with that much money) I say first answer this question for me.
"What is it about ME spending MY money on what I want bothers YOU the most?" Usually the response is, "well it is a sweet ride" I just smile and say, yes...yes, it is!!!

ZoomButt.gif
Thanks for your encouragement NoMoreGas !
ZoomButt.gif

Welcome to the Seattle-area Tesla owners cabal. What is your color choice, so we can look for you on the road? Have had my green S85 for nearly 3 months and every driving moment is heaven. No issues other than the (common) GPS spinning maps. I have black leather seats, but then I've always had black leather seats. No kids, no projectile vomiting, I hope.

Recommend the full Xpel wrap. Took my car to Metro Detail day after delivery; they did an excellent job. Not inexpensive, but think of it as further protection of your investment.

It was originally going to be white... but I changed to the Red recently. I guess it won't be final until December 31st (my finalization date!). Currently I have the cloth seats selected. My wife and I keep going back and forth. We came from an Audi Convertible, and hated how the leather cracked (despite my non-stop babying of it). I have seen pictures of used leather seats, and it seems to wear even worse in the Tesla. Sliding around will also be an issue, because I plan to punish my room mate often (He has a souped up SRT Charger). The fact that the Performance seats are $2500 factors into it as well.

First world problems.

P.s. Plan on doing the full wrap thing. REALLY want to do (the first?) yellow vinyl wrap, but I will settle for factory Red and Xpel wrap instead. I was going to use Northwest auto salon. I will look into Metro detail now though.

Last edited:
It was originally going to be white... but I changed to the Red recently. I guess it won't be final until December 31st (my finalization date!). Currently I have the cloth seats selected. My wife and I keep going back and forth. We came from an Audi Convertible, and hated how the leather cracked (despite my non-stop babying of it). I have seen pictures of used leather seats, and it seems to wear even worse in the Tesla. Sliding around will also be an issue, because I plan to punish my room mate often (He has a souped up SRT Charger). The fact that the Performance seats are $2500 factors into it as well.

First world problems.

P.s. Plan on doing the full wrap thing. REALLY want to do (the first?) yellow vinyl wrap, but I will settle for factory Red and Xpel wrap instead. I was going to use Northwest auto salon. I will look into Metro detail now though.

I would send you a picture of the wrap metro did for me, but you wouldn't be able to tell where it begins or ends. Definately worth it!

If I remember correctly, I think you need to take delivery in the year you want the tax incentive. Placing the order is immaterial. I did the reverse as I wanted my tax incentive in 2013 not 2012.

Of course standard disclaimer of not being a tax accountant….blah…..

Can you guys tell me if I place the ORDER before the year is out if I still qualify for the tax incentives for 2013 tax year?