Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got a "NO LICENSE PLATE / REGISTRATION" ticket today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have owned four Model S's in the DFW area, all without issue despite driving for weeks with the "Zero Emissions" paper tag and the small CA Temp Registration in the rear window.

Just another data point and YMMV, BUT reciprocity is a "thing" and they have to abide by it. For future TX buyers it may be valuable to print out the text above that spells it out for the cop on the beat--at least some of them, it appears, are not quite up to speed on the nuances of CA Temp Registration . . . .

Education is a wonderful thing and some might even be appreciative.

I splurged for the TX temp tag for $25 which I hope will reduce the chance of having to have the discussion when I pick it up next week...

I splurged for the TX temp tag for $25 which I hope will reduce the chance of having to have the discussion when I pick it up next week...

Ditto. For the same reason, I plan to compromise the beauty of my Tesla with front and back license plates. It isn't worth the risk of being pulled over by an officer who might have had a bad day and ruining mine.

Ditto. For the same reason, I plan to compromise the beauty of my Tesla with front and back license plates. It isn't worth the risk of being pulled over by an officer who might have had a bad day and ruining mine.

Front plates makes Sweet Little Baby Jesus cry. Please think of Sweet Little Baby Jesus.

In not running front plates for 10+ years, I've gotten tickets for speeding but never from lack of front license plate. I was told by an officer who gave me a warning for speeding that I "should" be running with one. ;)

I'm considering doing the same thing--What's the easiest way to get the temp tag?

EDIT: Found this website to do it online: TxDMV.GOV - Temporary Permits

My DS included all of the details in my delivery email. And they pretty much strongly recommended I do it (like you need to have this when you come for delivery).

The exact phrasing was:

Below is the link for a $25 Texas 30 day Texas temporary tag/permit. Texas will not allow Tesla to issue this to you or collect the $25 fee associated with obtaining this permit, but you are free to purchase and print you own at home prior to coming in for your Model S. We offer this link and information to owner’s because, despite our California temp tag being 50 state legal, some Texas law enforcement officials remain perplexed by the California Temp tag and my pull you over in extremely rare circumstances to inquire about your temp tag status.

· Make sure to choose the 30 Day Permit option when prompted
· Your VIN is: 5YJSA1E26FF117419
· Use your registration address that is reflected in your MyTesla account
· Start date: will be based on your pick up date
· It will also ask for your vehicle insurance information (company name, policy number, phone, and effective dates)
· TEXAS TEMP TAG LINK

We look forward to meeting you and delivering your Model S!

- - - Updated - - -

Front plates makes Sweet Little Baby Jesus cry. Please think of Sweet Little Baby Jesus.

In not running front plates for 10+ years, I've gotten tickets for speeding but never from lack of front license plate. I was told by an officer who gave me a warning for speeding that I "should" be running with one. ;)

I'm probably going to roll the dice and see if it comes up snake eyes on this...

If there were a cleaner/easier front plate option, I'd likely do it.

My DS included all of the details in my delivery email. And they pretty much strongly recommended I do it (like you need to have this when you come for delivery).

The exact phrasing was:

Below is the link for a $25 Texas 30 day Texas temporary tag/permit. Texas will not allow Tesla to issue this to you or collect the $25 fee associated with obtaining this permit, but you are free to purchase and print you own at home prior to coming in for your Model S. We offer this link and information to owner’s because, despite our California temp tag being 50 state legal, some Texas law enforcement officials remain perplexed by the California Temp tag and my pull you over in extremely rare circumstances to inquire about your temp tag status.

· Make sure to choose the 30 Day Permit option when prompted
· Your VIN is: 5YJSA1E26FF117419
· Use your registration address that is reflected in your MyTesla account
· Start date: will be based on your pick up date
· It will also ask for your vehicle insurance information (company name, policy number, phone, and effective dates)
· TEXAS TEMP TAG LINK

We look forward to meeting you and delivering your Model S!

Got a similar email from my DS (Whitney) who also basically highly recommends the temp tag:

"You will soon receive a FedEx package from Tesla with some paperwork to sign and return. Inside that package, there is a California Temporary Registration Sticker. Please bring this sticker with you to your delivery. This will enable you to drive your Model S until you are able to register the car. Generally, law enforcement does not have much of an issue with these tags, however, you may still be pulled over and issued a warning or a citation. I highly recommend purchasing for $25 a 30 day permit from this link: TEXAS TEMP TAG LINK. If you decide to purchase the Texas Temporary Tag, it will not be necessary to bring the California Registration with you to your delivery appointment."

I haven't received the FedEx yet, so I may have to get the TX temp tag anyway to be able to drive my car home!

Got a similar email from my DS (Whitney) who also basically highly recommends the temp tag:

"You will soon receive a FedEx package from Tesla with some paperwork to sign and return. Inside that package, there is a California Temporary Registration Sticker. Please bring this sticker with you to your delivery. This will enable you to drive your Model S until you are able to register the car. Generally, law enforcement does not have much of an issue with these tags, however, you may still be pulled over and issued a warning or a citation. I highly recommend purchasing for $25 a 30 day permit from this link: TEXAS TEMP TAG LINK. If you decide to purchase the Texas Temporary Tag, it will not be necessary to bring the California Registration with you to your delivery appointment."

I haven't received the FedEx yet, so I may have to get the TX temp tag anyway to be able to drive my car home!

Hmm... mine didn't mention the fedex, and I take delivery on tuesday. Hope that doesn't throw a spanner in the works...

I received the FedEx with temp Cali tag, but I went online and paid the $25 for a Texas temporary tag anyway. Its a much bigger, more visible, and more legit looking tag. Picking up in 2 hours!

You don't need that first Fedex if you get the tag, per Whitney. I never got it.

I was the first of 4 people to take delivery today at the North Houston location. So much fun using autopilot driving back in bumper to bumper traffic.

Now an official member of the club. :D

You don't need that first Fedex if you get the tag, per Whitney. I never got it.

I was the first of 4 people to take delivery today at the North Houston location. So much fun using autopilot driving back in bumper to bumper traffic.

Now an official member of the club. :D

I'm also an official member of the club and I also cruised on autopilot all the way home today. By the way, my DS laminated my Texas temporary tag and put it in my license plate for me. Looks very legit.