Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't stand waiting for the S85D to become CPO!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Model 3 down the road in a couple years, and slight battery degradation on the S, if you don't get an 85D now, your 70D may be about the equivalent of a Model 3.

Did I mention that I am glad I went with the 85D?

It's also like comparing a Lexus vs. Toyota.

And tell us how you really feel about the 85D, I'm not good at raging between the lines ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. But I asked a few people in the 70d delivery thread, and their real world mileage seems to agree with EPAs real world calculations. So all calculations are just pure conjecture at this point.

Which EPA? Lol. Teslas or the real one ;)

Hmm... I see what you mean. So then why does the math not add up? Both links are from fueleconomy.org

As an engineer, calculations matter. And the math doesn't add up.

As an engineer logic matters too.
When real world tests, and EPA calculations agree, and calculations don't - math can be wrong if assumptions and inputs are wrong.

Plus, I drive like a grandma. I won't get the fast 85d acceleration, but I'm sure range will not be an issue.
I can't wait to post some actual numbers :)

As an engineer logic matters too.
When real world tests, and EPA calculations agree, and calculations don't - math can be wrong if assumptions and inputs are wrong.

Plus, I drive like a grandma. I won't get the fast 85d acceleration, but I'm sure range will not be an issue.
I can't wait to post some actual numbers :)

I'll take a step back. Let's assume I believe the 240EPA number. Why didn't the math add up?

70kwh battery, known
33kwh/100 miles, given from the same site that assumes 240epa miles

(100/33)*70= 212miles?

Where the logic error?

I'll take a step back. Let's assume I believe the 240EPA number. Why didn't the math add up?

70kwh battery, known

(100/33)*70= 212miles?

Where the logic error?

I doubt you can find any error in my math. Remember my point is the numbers i came up with is what EPA supplies. What EPA doesnt do is state the range on HWY and CITY seperate. They do state the consumption and such but no range number. The 240 is EPA combined.

That being said my point is mileage wise, the 85D is far superior to the other vehicles and i suspect if you drive the 85D like a grandma like kutta in good weather with climate off in good terrain, you can probably hit 300 miles easy. This is well worth the 10K price over the 70D which IMO has severely reduced HWY range. But overall still good range if you are looking for a city car only.

70kwh battery, known

(100/33)*70= 212miles?

Where the logic error?

That 33 figure could be the typo :).
I bet the 240 miles is on range mode.

Also a pure kWh calculation that does not take into account the difference in bhp doesn't make sense. 329bhp with 70kwh, vs 422bhp with 85kwh, the range difference can't be strictly linear.

Last edited:
What EPA doesnt do is state the range on HWY and CITY seperate. They do state the consumption and such but no range number. The 240 is EPA combined.

I agree, but you're missing the point. If you do the math for consumption for highway and city, both of those are way below 240 miles (after conversion), correct?
There is no way you can take a weighted average of two numbers less than 240 and come up with 240.

So either the EPA consumptions estimates are wrong, the EPA range estimate is wrong, we're all missing something basic in the conversion, or I'm an idiot and can't do math.

- - - Updated - - -

That 33 figure could be the typo :).

I speculated that several pages ago (or was it in a different thread?)

I'll check the link, thanks. Also am interesting read, EPA with regards to EVs

How the EPA determines an electric vehicle’s range - not as simple as it sounds - Torque News

Basically all the numbers are BS, and based on what kutta said, people are getting close to EPA.

I still don't get the math...

I found another very illuminating discussion on this
70D vs 85D MPGe | Forums | Tesla Motors

The difference may be 39 miles, they also say that the battery will degrade lesser due to lesser charge cycles, and performance is a freebie.

looks like for in town and commute hour driving, 70d is just fine.
Long drives, 85d is the way to go.

i never do long drives. Maybe once I have a tesla I will?
Im so confused. Damn.

Not sure if you did .. or .. I might have missed it .. !!
Ok Chris, why did you change your mind from 70D to 85D?
Acceleration is a reason sure! but other than that.
The fast supercharging, 10 minutes is neglible IMO.

Did you think range was really that big a deal?

Seriously? He mentions it every thread.

Range, range, range, range, speed, range, degradation, supercharging, range. Did I mention range?

Seriously? He mentions it every thread.

Range, range, range, range, speed, range, degradation, supercharging, range. Did I mention range?

I WAS JOKING! Forgot to put the "J" on my head. :)

But where he lives, there are superchargers all around him.
I'm guessing his ploy was more acceleration than range, .. not that .. that is a bad reason in itself.
Still, was wondering what he'd say.