Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2000 kg of hydrogen can level *a city block*. All you need is 2-3 things to go wrong for the hydrogen to go off.

The risk analysis study I quoted above expected one of these types of events every two years (in Germany alone). And that was just accounting for all the things that could go wrong on the car-side while filling, not on the pump-side.

When you look at the higher risks and lower efficiency of hydrogen compared to batteries, why bother?

Toronto propane explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toronto_Propane_Explosion.jpg

That's what happens when a propane refueling station explodes. They weren't following approved safety procedures and learned the hard way. Caused extensive damage in a residential neighborhood.

Now... let's install hydrogen stations on every major street corner.

With all due respect JRP, do you want me to treat you like an adult or a child. If you want me to respect you, then use proper arguments. Caldreamin used an ammonia plant explosion from 1985 as an argument for the safety of hydrogen cars, it's fear mongering and I won't participate in that.

There have been hundreds of accidents in airplanes with lithium battery cargo, some fatal. A lithium battery brought down a 747 UPS aircraft, the FAA has banned the use of large lithium cargo in civilian aircraft.

You don't see people use that as an argument against EV cars, because they're not directly related. So why can't you be a little more objective.

The discussion here has, in my opinion, been very objective, perhaps your posts notwithstanding.

Using actual event occurrence (as with the plant explosion) as a basis for extrapolating where similar risks might lie (similar amounts of hydrogen gas, comparable sources of ignition, etc...) are quite reasonable.

What's more, folks have been up front in disclosing the significant differences as well: the expectation is that the number of hydrogen events will likely be LESS than that of gasoline. That's being realistic. It's also likely that the impact of a single event will be much MORE severe. That's also being objective.

I'll even give you your airplane analogy and suggest that (along with it being one of the germane points you did make), it's a good example of why this discussion is pertinent: It illustrates that even with dissimilar circumstances, you can draw some useful conclusions about the dangers of a given technology. The number of battery fires on airplanes will likely be FAR less than will ever occur in cars. Yet, the impact of a battery fire event on a fully loaded Airbus A-380 at 35,000 feet is rather severe... hence looking at the relative danger of Li Ion batteries and extrapolating where we can is useful. Ditto with hydrogen.

This happened near where I used to live. The location is between Pixar and Emeryville Secondary School. They were lucky. I'm glad to not live there anymore.

Wrong valve cause of fire at AC Transit hydrogen station - San Jose Mercury News

http://prod.sandia.gov/techlib/access-control.cgi/2012/128642.pdf

Wow, interesting. It says is the detailed report that 300 kgs of hydrogen leaked as valve failed, probably "self ignited" (the report states that "The topic of hydrogen “self-ignition” is an area of study and discussion in the scientific community. This analysis neither purports nor intends to determine the source of ignition in this incident. There is sufficient indication from the damaged canopy, ear and eye-witnesses that a flame was present.") i.e. ignites due to "...Hydrogen has low ignition energy, which means that it ignites or ctches fire readily, for instance due to static electricity or friction from particulates". I guess what he means is hydrogen-air mixture...

Anywho, I don't want a hydrogen fueling station near my home!

I don't believe anyone has said that the vehicle fires/explosions would be more dangerous than gasoline, although that is a real possibility. When it comes to fueling stations, they will almost certainly be waay more dangerous. The worst that happens to a gas station is that the pumps catch on fire and burn intensely. People have died in such fires, but it's a rare occurence. All the gasoline is usually stored in underground tanks, where there isn't much oxygen, and you need to actively pump the gasoline out of the tanks to fuel the fire. Once the pumps stop the fire starts to die down.

From the post I was replying to: "In my opinion, the most significant argument against hydrogen fuel cell vehicles involves the safety risks from hydrogen explosions. This is far beyond the potential consequences of gasoline, diesel, or battery fires in personal vehicles."

As for the safety of air travel, I don't think it is good that people are so afraid of it, irrational fears lead to irrational decisions which lead to worse outcomes. Some people are afraid of flying to the point that they will take a road trip when a flight would be better, risking their lives more than necessary.

I want to move to more rational decisions where possible, and that means acknowledging that we don't know exactly how frequent or severe hydrogen accidents will be in comparison to gas. We have an unknown, likely very high danger, a known high danger, and a known low danger. Going overboard against the unknown danger is not particularly helpful.

It is very interesting that they're saying $50 for a H2 refuel - but only $9.60 (off-peak) power for Model S. What would be the peak power cost be out of interest - double?

Let's assume (for argument sake) both sources of energy are purely natural gas. For a FCV this means the hydrogen has most likely come from a steam reformer and the electricity for the Model S from a combined cycle gas turbine power station. To me that shows quite an inefficient system in both the initial reforming process plant, overall distribution, and the onboard fuel cell conversion to electricity. A step back perhaps not a move forward in my eyes.

I do wonder why they (Toyota) are bothering. Where does their FCV 'portfolio' allow for any renewable energy sources to be used, at some level at least, some day as well? That' the way we want to move eventually isn't it?

Somehow I think the general public hears the term Hydrogen and automatically thinks 'clean' energy and this thinking perhaps stems from school science experiments using terribly inefficient electrolysis to extract hydrogen from water in a test tube. Where as mass scale hydrogen production comes from Hydrocarbons not water. I know I've asked many of my family and friends and they were shocked to know the truth.

Hydrogen advocates are expecting a few technological miracles to occur in order to make hydrogen viable. Efficient production of hydrogen is the biggie.

Many FCV advocates seem to believe that hydrogen production is something relatively new, therefore ripe for huge breakthroughs in manufacturing efficiency and cost. They don't understand that hydrogen has been produced on a massive industrial scale for more than 50 years. Hydrogen already has many gigafactories, with close to 10 million tonnes per year being manufactured in the US, and about 5 times that much globally.

Part 2 of a "Tesla Trumps Toyota" article was just published:

Tesla Trumps Toyota Part II: The Big Problem With Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles | ThinkProgress

What's most compelling to me in this article is how much more kWh/mi a FCV is than a BEV, at least 2x. It's also nice to see confirmation of LiIon dropping below $300/kWh alongside hydrogen being double that. I just don't see how FCVs can compete economically, presuming both technologies continue advancing.

From the post I was replying to: "In my opinion, the most significant argument against hydrogen fuel cell vehicles involves the safety risks from hydrogen explosions. This is far beyond the potential consequences of gasoline, diesel, or battery fires in personal vehicles."

As for the safety of air travel, I don't think it is good that people are so afraid of it, irrational fears lead to irrational decisions which lead to worse outcomes. Some people are afraid of flying to the point that they will take a road trip when a flight would be better, risking their lives more than necessary.

I want to move to more rational decisions where possible, and that means acknowledging that we don't know exactly how frequent or severe hydrogen accidents will be in comparison to gas. We have an unknown, likely very high danger, a known high danger, and a known low danger. Going overboard against the unknown danger is not particularly helpful.

With all due respect, waiting until we have enough data to determine "exactly how frequent or severe hydrogen accidents will be" with H2 FCVs and their fueling infrastructure is not rational and is not the way modern safety engineering is done, not for any potentially very high consequence risk. If that was the way we operated in industry, we'd be killing people on the job a couple of orders of magnitude more often than actually occurs.

To illustrate with a real example, almost 20 years ago I was part of a multidisciplinary team in my company that spent months studying a specific risk scenario and developing mitigations for a potential catastrophic event that had never happened to anyone, anywhere in the world. We studied near misses, used human factors analysis, the probabilities and consequences of flammable material release fires and explosions, and component and system failure probabilities. We developed a dynamic event model using known reaction kinetics and materials science. This was all input for a risk assessment. Bottom line, we estimated that the worst case scenario would occur about once every hundred years, two orders of magnitude more often than the mitigation threshold for consequences of that nature. We spent millions of dollars implementing systems across the company to reduce that specific risk below the threshold. This was not based on an irrational fear. It's our jobs to keep people safe.

I was driving home from work one night when I saw the night sky lit up in flames at a competitor's facility. The worst case scenario that had never happened anywhere before had happened to them. A man was dead and dozens were injured. It happened much as our dynamic model predicted. It almost certainly would not have happened if they'd had the mitigations in place that we implemented.

It's not necessary to wait for excessive risks to be taken and for people to be needlessly hurt, and to accumulate statistically significant fatality numbers in order to rationally assess and mitigate risks. Studying and mitigating "what if" potential safety incidents is a lot of what many of us do in our work. When dealing with high pressure flammable material releases, worst case scenarios that are rare often turn out to be the failure mode that dominates the risk score and determines the necessary mitigations, more so than higher probability, lower consequence scenarios.

There is enough data on component and systems failure probabilities and enough understood about vehicle accidents, compressed gas behavior, and the science of hydrogen fires and explosions to do risk assessments for H2 FCV cars and H2 fueling stations. Like all risk assessments, these studies are evergreen as new data and scenarios become better understood.

If H2 FCVs were a necessary mitigation to prevent predicted AGW then I would say we need to move as quickly as possible toward switching the vehicle fleet to H2 FCVs and do it as safely as possible. However, neither of these is the case. The siting of H2 fueling stations has not been as safe as reasonably possible. H2 FCVs are not a necessary mitigation for AGW because they have a larger carbon footprint than BEVs and are no better than HEVs in that regard. The most efficient FCV tested by NREL has a carbon footprint no lower than a Prius. Compared to a FCV, a Prius costs less to purchase, costs less to fuel, does not require a new multibillion dollar fueling infrastructure, and does not incur the potential safety consequences of 10,000 psig H2.

Last edited:
I'm not saying we should wait for people to take the risks to get data. I'm all for doing risk assessment looking at near misses, and analyzing models, and things like that. But those things bring uncertainty into the result, and we should be up front about that. FCVs will be dangerous, they may be a bit less dangerous than gas, or a lot more dangerous. I have yet to see analysis that actually compares the risks of FCVs to the risks of gas cars.

We don't need to exaggerate the danger, or pretend that gas is somehow safe in compariosn.

Last edited:
We don't need to exaggerate the danger, or pretend that gas is somehow safe in compariosn.

Risks can be managed, but it is costly.

Hydrogen air mixtures are easy to detonate, they are also easy to ignite. There is a difference

10,000psi of anything requires respect Waterjet Cutting History | KMT Waterjet

put H2 and 10,000psi together and serious respect is required and there will be serious expenses

Gasoline has neither the pressure nor the wide range of detonation as is proposed for Hydrogen