Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys remember this? Because why buy a rechargeable AA battery for $2 and a $10 charger when you can buy a Hydrogen core for $20 and a electrolyzer for $200.

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 4.32.09 PM.png

... batteries are VERY hard to get. I have been trying to get a PowerWall for 2 years with no hope in sight. I tried to get some LG batteries and again back stocked. I sell solar and batteries are a challenge as they are hard to get and very expensive.

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. I bought my house in the spring of 2019. Before the purchase closed, I had gotten a recommendation for a solar installer from my realtor. I think it was the day we closed, but maybe it was the next day, I called the installer (and one other just to see what I thought of them; I was not impressed by the other one). He came over soon after and together we worked out the size of my proposed system, which included three Powerwalls, two for the house, and one for the cottage behind the house.

There were applications to the electric utility, and the installer had several installs ahead of me. I think it was 2 1/2 months later when the applications had been approved and the installer was able to start work on my house. The Powerwalls had arrived shortly before that. A couple of weeks before, I think. Also the gateways and inverters and whatever all else. Roughly three months after closing on the house, he switched on my system.

I guess I was lucky to buy my house and install when I did.

I had been driving electric for over a decade by that time. Why buy a car that requires you to go to a special filling station when you can "fill up" at home? In Spokane my car was filled from the grid, which is all hydro-electric. Here, I was on the dirty grid for 3 months and since then, all solar.

Hard to tell who's really to blame here.... I met a client interested in solar that had already invested >$30k in a 'small' wind turbine. In a good year it probably produces ~200kWh. He's in a canyon and not much wind. There's a deeper problem that people just don't understand how thing work and they lack the motivation to put a little effort into researching it......

In South Dakota, where the wind blows fiercely, an acquaintance of mine installed a wind charger atop a derelict fire-watch tower that he disassembled, transported, and re-erected himself on his farm. He sold excess electricity back to the grid. This was probably 30 or 40 years ago. The income from the wind charger was his retirement plan.

Of course, this was in one of the windiest places where people actually live.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Do you guys remember this? Because why buy a rechargeable AA battery for $2 and a $10 charger when you can buy a Hydrogen core for $20 and a electrolyzer for $200.

View attachment 697384
Another fish story...

January 16, 2018
With bike’s range limited by the size of the hydrogen tank, Pragma is also working on a bike that will convert plain water into hydrogen
aboard the bike, using a chemical reaction between water and aluminum or magnesium powder to produce hydrogen gas.
“In the next two-three years we want to enter the consumer market and massively increase the scale of our operations,” said Forte.

Last edited:

China Approves Renewable Mega-Project for Green Hydrogen

[…] Inner Mongolia’s Energy Administration has given the go ahead to a cluster of plants in the cities of Ordos and Baotou that will use 1.85 gigawatts of solar and 370 megawatts of wind to produce 66,900 tons of green hydrogen a year, the Hydrogen Energy Industry Promotion Association said in a report. Development will begin in October and the projects will be operational in mid-2023, the association said, without specifying the cost or the developers.​

The report is here, in Chinese:

It will be interesting to see if this project meets its schedule, and how China uses the resulting hydrogen.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver

China Approves Renewable Mega-Project for Green Hydrogen

[…] Inner Mongolia’s Energy Administration has given the go ahead to a cluster of plants in the cities of Ordos and Baotou that will use 1.85 gigawatts of solar and 370 megawatts of wind to produce 66,900 tons of green hydrogen a year, the Hydrogen Energy Industry Promotion Association said in a report. Development will begin in October and the projects will be operational in mid-2023, the association said, without specifying the cost or the developers.​

The report is here, in Chinese:

It will be interesting to see if this project meets its schedule, and how China uses the resulting hydrogen.

Put it in fusion reactor it to make helium, solving the helium shortage!

• Funny
Reactions: daniel
Yeah, well, then there's this:

“I believe passionately that I would be betraying future generations by remaining silent on that fact that blue hydrogen is at best an expensive distraction, and at worst a lock-in for continued fossil fuel use that guarantees we will fail to meet our decarbonisation goals,” Jackson said.

• Informative
Reactions: daniel and JRP3
Yeah, well, then there's this:

Here we go...

Reactions: bruce4000
I was thinking about wildfire season approaching. People often ask me whether I'm worried about getting my car charged during an evacuation (I'm not, I keep the car at a relatively high SOC during red flag events). But what if your only car is a FCEV?

View attachment 700371

I drive by the station in Saratoga almost every day. The H2 pump has been signed off for weeks.

FCEVs sound pretty bad on paper, as far as efficiency and carbon footprint. From reports I gather that they're quite nice to drive. Which you cannot do if you cannot get fuel for them.

Let's see, which would I rather do: drive all over town looking for an open filling station, assuming I lived in a town that had any, or plug in at home? So hard to decide! Oh, and all my electricity is free.

Independently tested already, neat!

• Informative
Reactions: daniel and JRP3
So, I've been working from the office the past few days. On Wednesday night, near midnight I left to go home, passing by the H2 station (it's a gas station with one H2 dispenser). I saw a a Mirai fueling.

From a distance, I could see two more Mirais and one car unknown to me before I went up a ramp. Two were waiting from the street as there's no other logical way to queue up there for where the H2 pump is. I didn't bother turning around to go over to talk to the drivers.

For kicks, a Google search for hydrogen shortage bay area turned up that began 4 days ago.

Last edited:
I was thinking about wildfire season approaching. People often ask me whether I'm worried about getting my car charged during an evacuation (I'm not, I keep the car at a relatively high SOC during red flag events). But what if your only car is a FCEV?

View attachment 700371
Out of curiosity, where does that page come from? A quick Google search led me to Station Status | Station Status which does show a bunch of offline stations but doesn't show how many kg remain.

Out of curiosity, where does that page come from? A quick Google search led me to Station Status | Station Status which does show a bunch of offline stations but doesn't show how many kg remain.

The situation actually looks a little better than it was a week ago. The two nearest me, Saratoga and Campbell, had been red for months. Now they are "??" and green respectively.

A friend who has been leasing a Mirai has been driving a rental car, on Toyotas dime, during much of the shortage.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
The situation actually looks a little better than it was a week ago. The two nearest me, Saratoga and Campbell, had been red for months. Now they are "??" and green respectively.

A friend who has been leasing a Mirai has been driving a rental car, on Toyotas dime, during much of the shortage.
FWIW, the one near my work that I pass by when I'm at the office is the Campbell (not East Hamilton) one. Maybe that explains why there was one fueling + 3 in the queue (2 of them waiting in the street) near midnight...

LOL on the later. I still keep wondering if Toyota honestly thinks this is a good idea from the R&D, production costs, up to $15K of included fuel, having to rent out cars/pay for them vs. the CA ZEV credits they're getting. Presumably, they're are similar incentives/reasons in some of the other places they're selling/leasing these?

Seems crazy considering how few H2 FCEVs there are running around in CA to begin with... They seem to barely sell/lease any of them in the US. Example numbers at Toyota Motor North America Reports U.S. June and First Half 2021 Sales - Toyota USA Newsroom and Toyota Motor North America Reports December 2020, Year-End Sales - Toyota USA Newsroom.